What Do You Do With the World’s Fastest Internet?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Do you really have to ask what someone would do with Google Fiber? Probably what everyone else would all do with that kind of speed. :cool:

In this piece, I’ll focus on the last two questions: What has it been like for the people of Kansas City to live and work with the world’s fastest Internet? In my next column, I’ll examine Google’s strategic interests in Fiber—why is the search company building its own Internet lines?

4K streaming, 25 Youtube tabs, download patches or games really quickly, etc.

I'm interested in that free level, it would be slower but not too bad and it would save thousands of dollars.

I get 50Mbps / 10Mbps for the same price of the $70 gigabit package Google offers. I wish Google Fiber would come to Vegas.

I care more about upload. I get currently 60/10 with comcast which is great, but if I could squeeze a little more I would be streaming some HD gameplay footage.

I get 50Mbps / 10Mbps for the same price of the $70 gigabit package Google offers. I wish Google Fiber would come to Vegas.

I get 7Mbps / 1 Mbps for almost half the cost! Think of the savings! I'm happy not to have Google Fiber *cries inside*

Actually I wish the local company would roll out it's fiber a little quicker, same price as Google, or $40 if 100Mbps is good enough for you.

I think the question is "what couldn't you do with it". While I'd rarely utilize it, if I had it, it'd offer some interesting possibility for, say, VNC. You can have your home PC/file server anywhere without a problem. Streaming your movies, playing your games, etc. on just about any PC. Maybe even some sort of resource sharing; between your devices, PC, Laptop, Phone, etc. The current crappy state of the internet, especially the low upload speeds, make this an unpleasant thing to do.

Even though the author says he sees no need and maybe eventually it'll be there, you never want to max out your connection and that's the point. That being said, none of the HD streaming services I've seen have been artifact free and the quality of the sound is still highly compressed, you're not getting HD audio. With 4K on the way, perhaps someday we'll see uncompressed video and hd audio.

I'm more anticipating the growth of gigabit internet by Google for one reason and one reason only: breaking the monopolistic hold and highway robbery of current internet provider services. If Google gigabit fiber gains ground, Comcast, AT&T and Verizon as well as Roadrunner, Time Warner, Frontier and other internet monopolies will have no choice but to drastically lower their 15, 25 or 50 Mbps service or gradually become irrelevant.

The main problem with Google fiber is finding a gigabit VPN to keep Google from spying on you.

what you should do with the internet of course, download all the prawns.

I'm more anticipating the growth of gigabit internet by Google for one reason and one reason only: breaking the monopolistic hold and highway robbery of current internet provider services. If Google gigabit fiber gains ground, Comcast, AT&T and Verizon as well as Roadrunner, Time Warner, Frontier and other internet monopolies will have no choice but to drastically lower their 15, 25 or 50 Mbps service or gradually become irrelevant.

Well contracts with cities etc will have to be broken. This is one reason we have the monopolies. They monopolize one form of delivery or another.

My local fiber ISP just sent me a flyer, I can now get 1Gbps internet. The cost is way too much though around $250.

Well contracts with cities etc will have to be broken. This is one reason we have the monopolies. They monopolize one form of delivery or another.

Yeah I know but if there's anyone with the ability to push their agenda in the face of such roadblock, it's Google.

I live in the KC area, but this is still not available to me. I just wish it would branch out.

The author of the article says it's totally unnecessary but that's the assessment right now. A couple years from now (or several if you're not an early adopter) when you have a household of people streaming different 4K videos to several rooms in the house it won't seem so unnecessary.

Oh and lets not skip so quickly over the fact that if you pay the $300 construction fee you get 5mbps internet for "at least seven years" and probably indefinitely. Worst case scenario that's 5mbps internet for $3.60 a month!

I'd google stuff. Now they just need to hurry up and expand to the KC suburbs! I want my super fast inner'net!

My local fiber ISP just sent me a flyer, I can now get 1Gbps internet. The cost is way too much though around $250.

But if you and your neighbors share a line it would be 100mbps for $25/mo...I could live with 100mbps.

So at the speeds they're talking about. That's 125MB/sec. Around the speed of my harddrive.

That's awesome, but something most of us will never see in our town/city.

Stream Netflix @ 3.35Mbps. Now we're using some bandwidth!

True.

Problem I have seen with high speed internet is that the speed and quality of the signal is only as fast as the server releasing the data.

Well, the faster speeds do help for multiple user households ... if 2 people are streaming netflix ... someone is streaming music ... and someone is playing a game or downloading they each slice off a little of that bandwidth

I would agree however that until they change the sending sites to permit faster speeds, most users won't need much more than 15 Mbps or so ... now where did I put my flameproof suit ... I suspect I will need it after making such a blasphemous statement ;)

I think his assessment of the speed being unnecessary and not able to come up with any use for such a pipe is a testament to his inability to think outside of his little box. Let's start with current: One could have a household of people doing whatever they want without saturating the bandwidth. One could backup their data on the fly or within seconds for large data instead of hours; I backed up tens of gigs of data and it took a couple of weeks to do it and my only alternative was a pricey seed option. With cheap cloud storage I could stop paying for HDDs and store all of my stuff elsewhere while still being able to access it as if it was on my LAN. Heck one could even become their own mini datacenter; I considered this when I was looking in Chattanooga for job opportunities with EWP's FTTH service.

Full HD video chat without dropouts or pixalation. Help a friend or family member with a computer issue without lag. I could go on and on.

Looking towards the future, one of the big problems for furthering innovation is when two things rely on eachother. The sterotypical stance from a big company is to say that there's no market for it because ___ doesn't exist and they other is saying the same thing. One of those groups is going to have to step forward and bite the bullet. IPTV has a lot potential and I can come up with plenty of examples of where we can go beyond what is already being done. I've got other ideas and they're just the tip of the iceberg on what others would come up with.

Plenty of ideas are out there where they can't do it or don't do it well because people don't have the bandwidth for it. Yes, "anything you want" is accurate, but one can't limit themselves to their unimaginative box. Reasonably priced, functional 1Gb FTTH is the first step and honestly it needs to be because no one else can really innovate further unless that's in place first. Plenty of new technologies come out where people would say "why would you want to do that" and yet now they can't imagine life without it. Guess what more bandwidth is going to be.

The funny thing is: If you think about it, with internet at wire speed you'd no longer need all those cloud services and would hint at the huge issues with Android about accessing your own content.

Google Music, Picasa/G+ galleries, Google Drive, and all competitor's similar services would be a waste of time. That is unless you don't think / feel you could host it yourself.

I finally have gigabit Internet at work and I use it to push text files between my computer and different servers. At least the occasional Youtube clip loads instantly.

I get Google Fiber this fall. While the bandwidth will be great, I'm really looking forward to the TV package offering. FU Time Warner....a big F U. Another great benefit I'm looking forward to are the N access point/TV box. I don't think I'll have wireless reception issues again either.

I think Google's model is to charge people the $/bit for what they're probably going to use on average not on the max capability of the link. This is quite the opposite of what the average ISP does today and it's an interesting concept. I wouldn't be surprised if 32 or more Gigabit customers all aggregate back to a 10Gb connection.

So, on paper it sounds too good to be true to offer 1Gb for $70/month. If customers don't even coming close to using the provisioned bandwidth then it's just an arbitrary number. At least with this approach, your ISP is no longer the bottlekneck.

I'm on that same exact plan and im in vegas too. But im only hirting 18mbps, did you get a new modem?

Back