what do you do with old video cards

fightingfi

2[H]4U
got 3 old video cards agp stuff gamer cards worth selling or throw away?

Apogee geforce 6800gt i think its 256 mb

PNY 4600 128 mb limited ed with aftermarket fan on it( Geforce) original died dont remember why

3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 agp

PNY 4600 128 mb limited ed with aftermarket fan on it( Geforce) original died dont remember why

3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 agp
someone will want that voodoo, not sure about the other two. google for a decent price and post that voodoo in the fs/t forum.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The V5 5500 is definitely worth money, don't toss it.

The only problem the card could have is that it uses shitty 90s SMD electrolytics, which haven't aged well and tend to be dead these days. My V5 5500 needed a complete recap because most of the small SMD caps had leaked everywhere. Apple machines from the 90s have the same problem.

Rather than tossing a working card in a bin, which just sends it to landfill, put it in a ziplock bag (optionally with a piece of sturdy cardboard behind it) and take it to the local charity store / thrift shop / op shop, with values you don't object to.

Just write the details of the card on the ziplock bag, and you're done. (Maybe jot some other details on the cardboard.)

I've sometimes indicated that the card is worth $10 or $20 or whatever in that context, since the grandmothers that run those shops wouldn't know what to ask for it.

The cards have always gone within a week or two, in my experience.

I always sell my old stuff to buy the new stuff. Other than keeping a few things as spares for testing, I try not to keep stuff around. I never toss anything worth $5 or more. If I can't sell it in a week on ebay, I can post it in the freebies thread.

i got rid of a couple things once in the past and i regretted it because i was working on a project and i needed an old part, that exact thing i got rid of

since then, i always keep all my old electronics, i got boxes full of old stuff

i feel sad ever since i got rid of those,

don't throw out stuff in the garbage, give it to thrift shops or sell it online

i like going to thrift shops and looking for old electronics, some are useful

as for clothes, i hate clothes i will chop those up in a second and use them as rags to clean my computers

No such thing as spare video cards for me anymore.. now that PC gaming is pretty hip, nieces and nephews and less savvy brothers keep me on E at all times.

they manage to fry computers faster than I can build them.

I usually resell my previous generation to recover some of my investment. I still have a GTX 670 around here some where as a spare or diagnostic tool. I have no need to hang onto aging hardware for nostalgia purposes.

Quick history bit:

Sold my 8800gtx on here.
Gave my gtx285 to a friend.
Sold one of my two gtx670’s on here.
Sold my gtx980ti to a friend.

I have sold a lot like my FX 6800 Ultra that I would love to have back because PC does not have a long history in what I would call real gaming like your 4600 Ti that I can't afford just being married (1999) at the time and I bought the 4200 Ti for my P4 just to play MOHAA back then .

I do plan to put my P4 with FX 5900 XL back together some day.. my 775 build is still boxed up with e8400 and maybe MSI 7900GT / 8800 GTS 320Mb .. my x58 with i7 -930 /x5660 .. my FX 6300 in now vintage .. it is nice to say hey to an old friend from your past .

No such thing as spare video cards for me anymore.. now that PC gaming is pretty hip, nieces and nephews and less savvy brothers keep me on E at all times.

they manage to fry computers faster than I can build them.

Too bad child abuse and indentured servitude is illegal these days, it sounds like they need some perspective on how well off they are, then they would respect the stuff they're given more. /sarcasm

I recycle old parts into machines for poor families all the time. Schools are apparently getting a bit too tech oriented these days, and they're at a significant disadvantage since they don't have a computer to do their work on. I've probably given away a few hundred machines over the years and continue doing it.

Too bad child abuse and indentured servitude is illegal these days, it sounds like they need some perspective on how well off they are, then they would respect the stuff they're given more. /sarcasm

I recycle old parts into machines for poor families all the time. Schools are apparently getting a bit too tech oriented these days, and they're at a significant disadvantage since they don't have a computer to do their work on. I've probably given away a few hundred machines over the years and continue doing it.

They definitely are (the schools). EVERYTHING my kids do at school is done in Google Docs. Everything. So without a computer at home they are screwed.

Yep, they have the kids doing graphical math assignments as their homework online. They absolutely HAVE to have regular access to a pc.. I give machines dumped off by local businesses to friends all the time to get used for their kids as well, and they too always end up asking how to get them to run fortnite or minecraft better..

Dynamic has just changed is all re kids.. 25 years ago it was 1 computer for the household OR go to the library, now that's just not reasonable because everyone needs daily access. Same thing we were told about buying our first cars when we were 16/17... "In my day it was 1 car per household you little bastard!!!" -- dad

3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 agp

Wow....hard to believe that there's still a global demand for 3dfx cards -- and to think, I probably tossed about 3 old 3dfx cards a couple years ago.

3dfx...brings back memories.

Wow....hard to believe that there's still a global demand for 3dfx cards -- and to think, I probably tossed about 3 old 3dfx cards a couple years ago.

3dfx...brings back memories.

Yeah retro computing is a thing now, all that old hardware no one saved, now everyone wants. 3dfx is the king of the hill for retro computing and has prices to match. 20 years ago no one wanted that obsolete garbage...now they do.

My first multi-gpu set up was a pair of 3dfx voodoo cards in sli. I did a bit of chest thumping back in the day. Lol.

Twice now I have bought a mobo that can do two cards at 16x with plans to use the old card for Physx when I upgrade... Still hasn't happened yet. My house burned down and killed my 680 many years ago so I never got to use that one. When I upgraded to a 780 the card started crapping out on me and had to be downclocked to work correctly, so that one got thrown away instead of reused. Now I plan to just give my old cards to friends or throw them away since gpu physx is dead.

I was thinking building a computer in the shop with the Q6600 and 8800GTS. meh

I was thinking building a computer in the shop with the Q6600 and 8800GTS. meh

Not quite as retro as an old 3dfx or Matrox card, but an old/trusty Q6600 with a slim 8800GT OC'd is a good recipe. The GTS cards - bigger and the extra 128mb memory - takes a backseat to the GT, imo. You can still game reasonably, today, with that setup.

Not quite as retro as an old 3dfx or Matrox card, but an old/trusty Q6600 with a slim 8800GT OC'd is a good recipe. The GTS cards - bigger and the extra 128mb memory - takes a backseat to the GT, imo. You can still game reasonably, today, with that setup.
Yea, this would just so I could run Spotify and look up YouTube videos when I'm working on one of the vehicles. Using my phone can sort of be a pain. I've got the 8800 and the Q6600 in a box already.

Yea, this would just so I could run Spotify and look up YouTube videos when I'm working on one of the vehicles. Using my phone can sort of be a pain. I've got the 8800 and the Q6600 in a box already.

If you have it already, might as well use it...for sure. However, for what you're using it for, even that is plenty more that what the demands call for.

3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 agp
I would be interested in that voodoo 5 regaurdless of if it needs a recap or not I can do such things if needed pm with a fiar price im sure we can work something out

My oldest video cards 100% sit inside a box never to see daylight again, until I forget they're there when snooping around and have brief flashbacks of the time I had with them... then back into the box until next time.

Been considering doing a shadow box type of display of old tech, but haven't quite worked out how I can make it interesting for non-techies and techies alike.

they're sitting nicely in static wrap bags and put away for future use... which i'm pretty sure that day will never come..

I usually pass them down to people who have lesser cards. However as of lately ive had a craving to collect the key flagship and classfied/kingpin cards throughout time starting at 6800 ultra

My oldest video cards 100% sit inside a box never to see daylight again, until I forget they're there when snooping around and have brief flashbacks of the time I had with them... then back into the box until next time.

Been considering doing a shadow box type of display of old tech, but haven't quite worked out how I can make it interesting for non-techies and techies alike.

I hear there is even a market for old SCSI optical drives over in Europe? I probably still have a couple of old Plextor SCSI internal drives up in my attic PC parts corner somewhere.

Old modems too -- Old US Robotics modems (300,1200, 2400 baud), ISDN modems....etc.

people would prob pay a good chunk 'o change for those.

Just a brief look on eBay -- there is a selling market for them! People are fething $80-$200 for some models.

I have the old school 2x Plexwriters too - this is before Plextor started using disc trays. My model used the disc case for the disc then inserting the case into the drive. Pretty old school.

Back