What do you do when a new GPU releases? Does Newegg usually run out of stock quick?

zamardii

2[H]4U
So I sent my 6970 back because I decided to wait for the 7 series gpus. I was curious what you all have done, or recommend when a new gpu releases? I want to get my hands on one the day they release. Does amd, or newegg say what day and what time it will be available to purchase? How do I know when they will become available, and what are some suggestions so i can get my hands on one the day they come out? Do they sell really quickly? Anyone have any stories of trying to get the latest and greatest?

Thanks.

Don't the reference model midrange cards come out first? If that's the case I'm gonna hold off for high end models with better cooling.

When do the new GPU release again? I imagine that it will be over priced, as it normally is during the first release

No one knows. They haven't been announced yet. Rumors point to sometime in January, for at least some of them.

And pretty much just spam refresh on Newegg on the release date.

I'll wait... though I doubt anything will be released before spring. AMD/Nvidia will want to this time propably put emphasis on new feature like PCIe 3.0. And it's hard to market things that can't be used. So I doubt any high end stuf being in stores before Ivy Bridge release.

And I just hope for a pair of nice and shiny 680s :)

Really... I don't remember any real price gouging.

I just looked on my newegg order history and I bought the XFX 6970 on 12/14/2010 for $380.

Really... I don't remember any real price gouging.

I just looked on my newegg order history and I bought the XFX 6970 on 12/14/2010 for $380.

Get in early and you get them at msrp. I always get the deactivated links and set up reloadevery plus check4change to monitor the pages and notify me. I have had no issues getting good brands and top cards on launch days ever :D. Looking forward to a pair of 680s.

^shhhhhh :)

Yeah I always get in early and have never had a problem with gouging. Can't wait to get a 7970, the next two months are going to kill me.

The enthusiast end models (GTX 680 / HD7970) come first. Then high-end usually at the same time, then midrange and low-end shortly after. And all the little gaps in between are filled over the next year by competition.

This trickle method keeps parts in very high demand for the first couple months.

—§urfÅceЗ;1038031676 said:
The enthusiast end models (GTX 680 / HD7970) come first. Then high-end usually at the same time, then midrange and low-end shortly after. And all the little gaps in between are filled over the next year by competition.

This trickle method keeps parts in very high demand for the first couple months.

Except last time, when the 6850 and 6870 came first.

i usually wait until a year or so after the cards out before buying it. its a lot easier to find second hand cards that way. the only card i've bought brand new in the last 10 years was the 8800GT which i didn't buy until the 8800GTS 512mb came out and caused the 8800GT prices to drop.

I don't care how much money you have to waste - you have finite time to live and enjoy what you buy... I wouldn't waste it on any newly released hardware. Wait until its out for 6 mo to 1 yr for drivers/firmware to mature and any recalls to play out. In the mean time, enjoy a 6000 series AMD card or 500 series Nvidia card.

I don't care how much money you have to waste - you have finite time to live and enjoy what you buy... I wouldn't waste it on any newly released hardware. Wait until its out for 6 mo to 1 yr for drivers/firmware to mature and any recalls to play out. In the mean time, enjoy a 6000 series AMD card or 500 series Nvidia card.

I have been building for 15 years and the only time I have been burnt was on the p67 mobo recall as far as new part issues. There is basically no reason to wait as far as what you're saying, just money. New parts rarely have serious issues nowadays, and even with the p67 issue it was smooth as silk to get swapped with an advanced rma.

I really don't think we will see 7950, 7970, 7990 cards until late Q2 or early Q3.I suspect in Q1/Q2 we will see the 75xx and 77xx and mobile parts. I figured I'll be happy with my CF 6970's until the 8xxx series of cards considering I was fine with my 4870's in crossfire until recently. I usually skip a gen or two in GPU's. I skipped 58xx/68xx this time and unless 7xxx offers mind blowing improvements in performance and cooling I'll stick with my 6970's.

Availability is all based on the demand. Certain models are much harder to get than others. For instance try getting a Sapphire Toxic HD6950 2GB, almost impossible, it goes in and out of stock immediately. Luckily I have gotten 2 of them.

As for when to buy GPUs, I used to get the latest and greatest, but have been bitten hard too many times now paying too much for something not quite mature enough yet. Now I wait right before the next generation comes out and buy 2 of the mid range models. So right now I just bought 2 6950s, which cost me about $500 which is around what you will probably pay for the high end 7000 card at launch, and get less performance and versatility. Consider it like this, the 6950 has been out for awhile and now manufacturers have had more experience with manufacturing them so the latest models are better built than the initial models. I mean the Sapphire Toxics run pretty much at 6970 speeds for a lot less money. I would say that is pretty significant deal. Plus I don't know anything out now that overpowers a 6950 much less (2) 6950s in crossfire (given the proper driver updates, come on AMD fix your support for Skyrim).

But that is my experience. I find this way better than my previous method of buying 2 8800GTX overclocked cards at release for $1100 (even though those cards were rock solid for a few years).

Last year when AMD HD6000 series came out the price was at MSRP then after a few days it seemed like the price went up quite a bit. It's hard to tell when a good deal will come along on new video cards. I'm going to be ready to get a HD7950 or a GTX660ti.

Last year when AMD HD6000 series came out the price was at MSRP then after a few days it seemed like the price went up quite a bit. It's hard to tell when a good deal will come along on new video cards. I'm going to be ready to get a HD7950 or a GTX660ti.

This is due to demand. When you have 500 cards and 2000 ppl want them, they raise the price, that is really all there is to it. This is also why I wait now and don't buy right at release.

This coming from a guy who has a bulldozer chip in your sig.... that's been released for, um... 1-2 months?
Did you wait 6-12 months after release to purchase that chip?
How about your 2600k? your 570s? :p

Or is this one of those times where it's "Do as I say, not as I do"?

This is due to demand. When you have 500 cards and 2000 ppl want them, they raise the price, that is really all there is to it. This is also why I wait now and don't buy right at release.

This is why Ai make sure I am one of the early birds that get the worm :D.

As long as there's not some shortage of parts you should be able to buy just about anything the week of release (with the exception of small-run cards like the 6990 / GTX 590). Just don't be picky about your brand name.

I bought a 6600 GT AGP on launch week, an HD 4850 on launch week and a GTX 460 1GB on launch week. It can be done without having a heart attack :D

Don't wait though, if there's going to be a shortage it will manifest itself shortly after the release when (1) stock disappears for months at a time and (2) prices go up.

I know some time back pc's with Xdr 2 ram cost about 4 times than what it would cost with regular ram. Although its a process shrink that xdr 2 still will make it expensive. Licence fees+registration. Nvidia probably will throw in their sli certification ontop of that with their crappy sli ram

Unless rambus decided to drop the prices. Amd have been paying then royalties for years to use their ram technology so it will be fitting probably for rambus to throw in the regular customer discount. But I don't for nvidia.

I notice elpida make em Xdr2 as well. anyone remember the elpida stock in the Corsair ram that took a regular dump some time ago?

The high end cards come with chamber cooling as well.

^shhhhhh :)

Yeah I always get in early and have never had a problem with gouging. Can't wait to get a 7970, the next two months are going to kill me.

2 months? Can you link me to where AMD said it was coming January?

Back