What do we really know about Barcelona?

Really.

All I'm familiar with is rumor and conjecture.

I think I know-

It is not a pair of dual cores together, it is 4 separate cpu's on one die. I still can't figure out the wiring for that miracle if the pin counts remain the same

It's due to release in 2H 2007. I don't even know if they mean Q3 or Q4.

Performance= ???

An AMD rep came to my work today to talk about Barcelona and every question I asked she wouldn't give me an answer. She just went on about how it will increase production by this much and this much and will basicly rape Intels Kentsfield.

Useless information.

Kinda hard to say anything about a chip that AMD has release very little info on.

An AMD rep came to my work today to talk about Barcelona and every question I asked she wouldn't give me an answer. She just went on about how it will increase production by this much and this much and will basicly rape Intels Kentsfield.

Useless information.

This is the lovely NDA in action unfortunately.

This is some older information, but as far as Iknow it is still accurate....

100-enl.png

I'm still amazed that some people still ask this question and can't Google stuff like this IMHO.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061206-8363.html

The hard specs of improvements AMD's made with the K8 to K10(K8L) at die level have been known for months. Comparing it's changes with what Intel did from the Core(Merom) to Core 2(Conroe) generations and you can get a rough idea of what to expect. In other words, expect something just as powerful or more so than Core 2.

*update* Ahhh, Duby hit it on the head. There's several links pertaining to the subject at hand in link I have above though.

I still can't figure out the wiring for that miracle if the pin counts remain the same

Simple, the socket is only for communication with the chipset and other CPUs (HT-link) and the memory.
Since there is still only one external link from one quadcore to the next, and they still use dualchannel memory, they don't need more pins.
To the outside it appears as a single CPU, just like a single-core or dual-core processor, they all fit the same socket (usually).

AMD has never kept quiet over anything it had that was good.

I guess the new chip will just be okay.
It will all boil down to price.

AMD has never kept quiet over anything it had that was good.

I guess the new chip will just be okay.
It will all boil down to price.

2 words: Osborne effect

This is the worst thing they need to deal with concerning thier situation right now finacially, they need to sell every possible K8 generation chip they can until K10 is out. Releasing too much information or parading about K10 right now will horribly curtail sales of K8 generation chips, period. People all too easily assume that AMD is quiet about K10 because it has little or nothing to boast about. Kinda goes back to the old saying, assuming makes an ass outta you and me. ;) :cool:

Back