What do people use for 2FA on RDP for Workstations?

Ranma_Sao

2[H]4U
Wanted to setup 2FA for home if I rdp in via my tunnel. Duo comes highly recommended, but it apparently is broken on the latest windows 10 builds. :(

This seems like it should be really easy, 2FA with a local account, no domain, but it doesn't seem to be...

By tunnel, do you mean VPN? You don't have your RDP open directly to the internet right? I wouldn't do that even with 2FA.

If you already have a VPN tunnel, you'd be better off looking for ways to enable 2FA for the VPN auth. If they can't get on your VPN, they can't RDP to your box.

I'm not aware of an easy way to add 2FA to RDP though. You might be able to if you setup a Remote Desktop Gateway server and use that as a bastian box. I still wouldn't expose that directly to the internet though.

I've used Duo for the 2FA auth for RDP. I'm not sure when it was broken, but it has always worked for me. I stopped using it though and switched to something altogether besides RDP and 2FA that serves me better. Nothing wrong with it. It worked how it was supposed to.

I manage duo for 100+ users at work and we've had no duo issues with direct rdp or rdweb to many win 10 VMs

My work uses duo as well. Easy windows client for rdp sessions and an application to support RDS logins as well.

Back