What do people think of the Nvidia RTX Titan?

2080Ti to RTX Titan in 2021 sounds like the poorest decision one can make unless you have some render job that requires the VRAM or you get fired.
I have a 2080ti in my hands that I am going to sell and make money on. It will be a wash and I get a better card and some extra scratch as well.

RTX Titans are selling for $2k on ebay and the cheapest one listed right now is almost $3500. I see some for $2500 on other sites. Pretty good deal. I would flip it though and eventually put the money into something else when you get a chance.

That is indeed the plan.

You have a good plan. Get the Titan for that lovely price, sell the 2080ti. Nearly all of us wish we could do the same. The rest would sell both.

The RTX Titan is a poor card even at that price. The effort would be better spent on getting a 3090. The lead time on a 3090 is 6-8 weeks at the moment, but stock is replenishing. A 2080ti to Titan RTX is basically looking at a ram capacity increase.

When I first bought one, I was a little anxious about dropping all that $ on a 3090. 5 months later I'm happy with it and could sell it for 2x what I paid if I that changed.

Like others have mentioned, there are ways to get one if you're fiending. I've had a lot of luck buying tech over the last year using NowInStock. Trick is, their actual stock monitoring is pointless. It's too slow. The key is to watch the chat below the live stock section. People are incredibly nice and helpful for a bunch of random internet strangers.

The RTX Titan is a poor card even at that price. The effort would be better spent on getting a 3090. The lead time on a 3090 is 6-8 weeks at the moment, but stock is replenishing. A 2080ti to Titan RTX is basically looking at a ram capacity increase.
Lead time where though?

May as well make the switch if it isn't going to cost you much if anything overall, just to get a more valuable card. You may not see much if any of a performance increase over your 2080ti with the tasks you asked about, though.

Best Buy just did a drop, my buddy got a card. I'm telling you, Discord alerts are necessary. If you're "trying" to get a card and didn't know Best Buy just dropped, that's why!

Here is my RTX Titan. I also sold the 2080ti for $1700 locally on Craigslist yesterday. Thx for all the advice everyone. I came out ahead $750! Not a bad swap.

Attachments

• 83821C75-95A1-42D8-818D-171FBD5FA529.jpeg
    83821C75-95A1-42D8-818D-171FBD5FA529.jpeg
    496.5 KB · Views: 0
It's scary how much money you can sell video cards for right now. Basically ANY card, too. If it's a good one, the sky's the limit.

I have both the RTX titan (a loaner card) and a pair of 2080Ti (my personal cards). The RTX titan, for gaming, is not a significant upgrade over the 2080Ti. Testing on Hunt showdown allowed me to turn up some AA at 4k, but that's about it in terms of real world impact.

It’s def not meant for gaming. I’m running rendering projects on freelance work I do on weekends for my old company in Seattle using Adobe after effects and Premier. I do intermediate renders and editing and send it back off to the main office where they finish the final video production.

I have a full time job as well and gaming has taken a backseat a bit. Although I do play world of warships, BF3/4/5 and the old Jedi Academy MP. I do own the Metro game which I got over Xmas for $10 and saw there is a pretty big update that was just released. I think I’ll give that a spin on this card. I game on my rig in my signature below.

The Titan is now in my 5960x system and so far has performed really nice. Highway robbery how I got this card and still came out ahead.

Last edited:
Now play the Newegg shuffle and check Best Buy for a reference card, and if you manage to snag one up you'll have a real upgrade, then just sell the RTX Titan for moon money!

It’s def not meant for gaming. I’m running rendering projects on freelance work I do on weekends for my old company in Seattle using Adobe after effects and Premier. I do intermediate renders and editing and send it back off to the main office where they finish the final video production.

I have a full time job as well and gaming has taken a backseat a bit. Although I do play world of warships, BF3/4/5 and the old Jedi Academy MP. I do own the Metro game which I got over Xmas for $10 and saw there is a pretty big update that was just released. I think I’ll give that a spin on this card. I game on my rig in my signature below.

The Titan is now in my 5960x system and so far has performed really nice. Highway robbery how I got this card and still came out ahead.
oooh, add me in WoWs, bananaX

I put my retired TITAN V to work mining ETH after I got my 3090. Maybe I should ebay it instead of its 79 MH/s

I'm late to the game, but I went from 4x 2080Ti to 4x Titan RTX to 4x 3090 for my work box that gets used for 3D rendering and simulations, plus gaming.

For gaming, the Titan is basically the same as the 2080 Ti. It has more overclocking headroom if you put it on water (and I have a block I can sell you if you want to go that route). The extra VRAM doesn't factor in gaming.

For work use, the Titan is the ultimate Turing card. On smaller scenes, it is just like the 2080 Ti but with the same notes as gaming. If, however, you're working on stuff that needs more than 11GB of VRAM, the Titan crushes the 2080 Ti. This holds true even with applications that allow out of core memory.

When it comes to work stuff, the 3090 absolutely smokes the Titan RTX. We're talking 80% faster in Octane. The difference is stunning. It is so much faster that it actually changes how you work. The surprising twist here is that in today's insane market, a used Titan RTX can be sold for barely any less than the current scalper price for a BNIB 3090. Given the small incremental price differential for a huge boost in performance, this is the route that I would take (and did take).

Last edited:
Back