What do i use to clean my screen?

Robert_J

Limp Gawd
Hi im using a samsung t240 and theres a small spot on the screen that doesnt seem to want to come off

Its about 2 mm x 2mm big

It looks like a liquid that has dried but im really not sure cuz it doesnt want to come off

Any tips on how clean this spot off?

Hi im using a samsung t240 and theres a small spot on the screen that doesnt seem to want to come off

Its about 2 mm x 2mm big

It looks like a liquid that has dried but im really not sure cuz it doesnt want to come off

Any tips on how clean this spot off?

I have used some auto polish plenty of times, just don't use something with a high abrasive.

Yes my monitor came with a very fine cloth but that doesnt seem to do the trick

Ill see what kind of polish i have

thanks

I just found some glasses lens cleaner that came in a kit with a microfiber cloth... it worked surprisingly well... not sure if it's safe or recommended but i assume it is

^^^

I prefer to use distilled water and a microfiber cloth. I'm not sure I would trust glass lens cleaner. Hopefully yours doesn't have alcohol.

I'd put some water on the spot and wipe it with a microfiber cloth and repeat until it's gone. I wouldn't want to use any chemicals on an LCD.

I use this, works great and comes with a cloth:

8560.jpg

I think most gel-based screen cleaners work more or less the same.

First off, cleaners are a waste of money. I rarely if every use anything on my monitor other than a dusting with good microfiber cloth. In the very instance I need anything a little water on the tip of the cloth removes the problem.

The key is not to touch your monitor. This sounds basic but someone how most users manager to touch their screen more often than you would think. All I have to is look at my wife's monitor to see that. If don't touch your screen you shouldn't need to do anything other than dust it.

The key is not to touch your monitor. This sounds basic but someone how most users manager to touch their screen more often than you would think. All I have to is look at my wife's monitor to see that. If don't touch your screen you shouldn't need to do anything other than dust it.

In theory, yes. In practice, however, it's not so simple. Sneezing and insects are the first things that come to mind that make it hard to keep a monitor clean. It's not easy to get rid of some stains without a cleaner, a damp cloth just doesn't do the trick sometimes... most of the time, even. I found it especially hard to clean my laptop's glossy screen.

I bought a bottle of that am flat screen cleaner nearly a year ago and considering how it's still almost full, it'll probably last me many years. 7 euros well spent IMO.

90% isopropyl alcohol mixed with water + microfiber cloth. Cleans like a charm every time.

90% isopropyl alcohol mixed with water + microfiber cloth. Cleans like a charm every time.
This, or put it in a dishwasher. Make sure to use a gel based detergent and not that stupid powder stuff. :D

^^^

I prefer to use distilled water and a microfiber cloth. I'm not sure I would trust glass lens cleaner. Hopefully yours doesn't have alcohol.

^This. distilled or filtered water and a microfibre cloth with very gentle pressure should do the trick.

Alcohol can damage the anti-glare or glossy surface over time.

The final answer is:

Distilled water on a microfiber cloth is the only guaranteed safe method to clean an LCD screen. Most grocery stores will carry both for $1 or less.

LCD cleaners often add a mystery ingredient (which is almost certainly a little bit of silicone) to justify putting a $20 price on a 4 ounce bottle of mostly water. Probably won't hurt the monitor, and may even do a good job, but they're totally ripping you off.

Eyeglasses cleaner is almost certainly quite safe - if any finish is more fragile than LCD screen finish, it's probably the finish on eyeglasses.

Eventually, you might get a build-up of finger oil or some kind of stain (such as the OP has) that distilled water just won't remove. In that case, use isoproypl alcohol mixed with distilled water (commonly found very inexpensively in grocery stores as rubbing alcohol) and a microfiber cloth. Isopropyl alcohol can possibly damage a fragile finish if you use it too many times, so use it only when distilled water doesn't do the job.

Never use Windex or other ammonia-based cleaners. They will ruin the finish, often staining it yellow.

^This. distilled or filtered water and a microfibre cloth with very gentle pressure should do the trick.

Alcohol can damage the anti-glare or glossy surface over time.

Never had any problems with isopropyl alcohol.

In theory, yes. In practice, however, it's not so simple. Sneezing and insects are the first things that come to mind that make it hard to keep a monitor clean. It's not easy to get rid of some stains without a cleaner, a damp cloth just doesn't do the trick sometimes... most of the time, even. I found it especially hard to clean my laptop's glossy screen.

I bought a bottle of that am flat screen cleaner nearly a year ago and considering how it's still almost full, it'll probably last me many years. 7 euros well spent IMO.

Your apply my advice too widely if you are including a laptop. Laptops of course are getting get dirty but a monitor on your desktop should almost never need anything more than a dusting. A bit of water on a microfiber is all it should every need for the rare times it is needed.

As for sneezing, again, like not touching the screen, covering your mouth works better than any post cleaning process.

When it comes to your desktop, being clean keeps your cleaner than any product.

Microfibers are good, but I've had better results using a chamois bought from the automotive section of your local Target/Walmart/etc. Cheaper too :)

http://www.amazon.com/Sprayway-SW50-Glass-Cleaner-Single/dp/B000FMK1NY

Sprayway Glass cleaner + MicroFiber FTW!

No Amonia/Alcohol and streak free. I've found it at most K-marts, Walmarts, and Targets for around $3-4.

Always shake the can till you don't hear liquid swooshing back and forth, then spray on the microfiber and let dissolve into the cloth, then wipe the screen down gently, once the area is clean I go back over with a dry part of the cloth to remove any excess liquid build-up (this helps any streaking).

If you have used any cruddy gels like monsters it may take a couple of cleanings until the sprayway removes the residue.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back