What do I need to OC a 2.8GHz w/800 fsb?

Priest +

n00b
New to this whole forum and lifestyle.

I built this computer I'm using by reading Tech Tv's "Upgrading your computer" book.

Albatron 865PE Pro ICH5
Intel P4 2.8GHz w/800 fsb
Kingston Value Select RAM 2gig PC3200
Albatron 6800 GT AGP Graphics Card 256-bit 256mb
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Western Digital 120gig SATA
Western Digital 40gig EIDE
Western Digital 40gig EIDE
Lite-on DVD-ROM
Sony DVD-Burner

I know ya'll didn't need most of that was just brag'n about my first build! lol

Fingers, a keyboard, perhaps a monitor. :D

You can get an in depth answer in the overclocking and cooling section, but I would suggest trying to hit 250fsb with a 5:4 divider so your memory can run at ddr400 speeds still. You might have to give your vcore a little bump though, make sure you research this stuff before you try it.

Sounds like a solid first build though, have fun with it!

I've heard of the 865PE chipset not being able to overclock the fsb if it has all 4 dimms filled. I can also say that I've seen the problem and it was fixed by reducing the memory to two sticks for a total of 1 gig. You'll probably have to play around with it if the OC doesn't work right the first time. Good luck with it.

you need patience and knowledge of what you're doing !!

If your motherboard allows you to o/c then start first by locking the pci/agp then increase the fsb by 5 and then go into windows repeat until you can't get into windows once you reached that limit

go back 5mhz and test using prime95. Make sure your cpu temps are appropriate for the cpu ur using ..

for example a 2.8c "northwood" should be around 30 idle maybe 40 if you have sufficient cooling

if prime95 passes then you have reached your min. max if you know what I mean. After that there's some tweeking you have to do to increase your o/c but that's left for you to figure out ... look around for guides

mohammedtaha said:
you need patience and knowledge of what you're doing !!

If your motherboard allows you to o/c then start first by locking the pci/agp then increase the fsb by 5 and then go into windows repeat until you can't get into windows once you reached that limit

go back 5mhz and test using prime95. Make sure your cpu temps are appropriate for the cpu ur using ..

for example a 2.8c "northwood" should be around 30 idle maybe 40 if you have sufficient cooling

if prime95 passes then you have reached your min. max if you know what I mean. After that there's some tweeking you have to do to increase your o/c but that's left for you to figure out ... look around for guides

Patience I have, knowledge I'm willing to obtain, but I just figured I'd ask in places that have been there and done that to atleast point me in the right direction. I'm guessing I "lock" the PCI and AGP i the BIOS? I am allowed to alter my fsb??? I guess in BIOS also cause there are no processor altering programs in my PC my mobo didn't come with any. So once I get to where I can't get into windows I'll go back into bios and reduce whatever the fsb is by 5 (going back to the lowest high setting that still let me get into windows?). Prime95 can be found anywhere on the web for download? Where can I look for these possible tweaks? MOBO Manufacture website? The temp for my cpu I guess I could go to intel and look up with 2.8 northwood should run at and compare it to my own? I know I'm going to have to replace the stock heatsink/fan. But I'm hoping to accomplish that when i water cool, some where down the road.

all o/c is done in the Bios ... Never do it through windows.

You should get the latest bios from Albatron just to stay up to date

Prime95 can be found @ prim95

You should also search for cpu-z which might be found in Guru3d.com and find out your processors codename.

Priest + said:
What do I need to OC a 2.8GHz w/800 fsb?

a brain!! - go see the wizzard (of OcZ), he might be able to bestow one upon you.

you've got everything you need, except maybe a good cooler?

You didnt mention anything about what cooler you're using so I'll assume the retail Intel cooler. Which will probably only be good up to about 3.2Ghz if you've got a decent chip. Though our prized goal will be 3.5Ghz at 250FSB, with mem ratio at 5:4 for DDR400 at spec!

Since you've got (assuming) 2x1Gb ram its not going to overclock well.

So go ahead and change memory ratio straight to 5:4, set your vcore to 1.6v, and start raising your FSB 5Mhz at a time, then run Prime95 for about 10 minutes. (quick & dirty test) Once you hit instability back down 4Mhz and let Prime run for longer, moniter your temps. If you get up to about 64C you need better cooling. If all is well go up 1Mhz at a time FSB until you've hit your max OC.

chrisf6969 said:

a brain!! - go see the wizzard (of OcZ), he might be able to bestow one upon you.

If I Only Had ...... a Brain I could while away the hours Conferrin' with the flowers Consultin' with the rain And my head, I'd be scratchin' While my thoughts were busy hatchin' If I only had a brain. I'd unravel ev'ry riddle For any individ'le In trouble or in pain
With the thoughts you'd be thinkin' You could be another Lincoln, If you only had a brain.
Oh, I could tell you why The ocean's near the shore, I could think of things I never thunk before And then I'd sit and think some more. I would not be just a nuffin' My head all full of stuffin' My heart all full of pain. I would dance and be merry Life would be a ding-a-derry
If I only had a brain--Whoa! :cool:

Back