What do I need for 4K streaming?

Maddnotez

Limp Gawd
Just wanted some opinions before I make these purchases. I just got a 4K Roku TV (TCL 55R617) and a 4K Firestick.

I already have Prime Video and Netflix but those are pretty limited so I plan to use Kodi for most of my movies. I have always used wifi and while the buffering has always been a minor issue. 4K movies are pretty much unplayable due to the buffering (I think).

I figured it is time to plug into my Ethernet cable instead of wifi. A few people told me that I needed to buy a few things to accomplish this:

Ugreen Ethernet Adapter/USB Gigabit Adapter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LLUEJFU/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_7?smid=AKXVBT49GGF3B&psc=1

Micro USB to USB cable
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C452XFO/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_8?smid=A1Q48TCVO3AUIV&psc=1

Gigabyte switch
https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-8-Port-Metallic-Gigabit-SE3008/dp/B00F3NUUF4?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_8

Just looking to be sure that this is accurate. Will I need all of these items? I already have a Modem and a Router so I am not sure why the Gigabyte switch is needed.

Also how are these brands and prices? If there are some of these out there that are clearly better I would be willing to pay a little more.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you wanted to just use the RokuTV you could stream with a supported App like Plex, I think it is possible to direct play 4k depending on the correct container and codecs. Depending on your thoughts on server / hardware available you might be able to transcode to the devices as well. This might invalidate the need for the fire-stick and the hard-wire to it. Not sure if you can return the fire, but the Nvidia Shield is also a good option for 4K as it can even run a plex server with a usb hdd hooked up and you can eliminate / or break even with the recent deals of $120 or $140 with gaming controller. You can though side load Kodi on a firestick and set it up to stream with the included hardware, though does seem pricey to me.

What device are you using for Kodi? I agree with rHansen5 about the Nvidia Shield. If your already have a router then I dont understand why you need an additional switch unless you dont have any available ethernet ports for you required devices. I also don't know why you would need that USB ethernet adapter or the USB cable for that matter. I think im missing something here

I second rhansen5_99 on Plex. You can direct play 4K content on some devices. The specifics are here, and below:
  • Container: MP4
  • Resolution: 3840×2160 or smaller
  • Video Encoding: HEVC (H.265)
  • Video Frame Rate: 30fps
  • Video Bit Depth: 8
There are quite a few limitations on hardware though, so I do recommend reviewing the above link to make sure you can get something that will support it.

If the 4k content is local then Wifi should be enough.

If you are trying to stream 4k from free hosters then that is your issue and its not your network.

Ive had the best luck with 4k from either downloading it ahead of time so its on my local network, or streaming cached torrents from either real debrids servers or premiumize.me

Also as mentioned above the Shield is probably your best bet for a device.

Streaming 4k from free hosters has always been a headache for me.

I have 4 tvs that were all on Roku's, 2 Roku 3s, 1 Roku 4, and 1 Roku Ultra. I thought I would try Nvidia Shield when it was on sale for black friday. MAJOR upgrade on a 4k tv. Just waiting for the next sale or the next iteration and I will upgrade the other roku thats on a 4k tv.

Back