What do I have left to get?

FalconSS

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, I'm planning on going back to school to finish my bachelors in EE. I currently have an associates in CS but I honestly can't stand coding any longer. I would much rather work with the physical circuits. I have already taken the "basic" freshman level engineering classes at University ( T-A&M) ENG 111 and 112 which is really just overview. I also have grown up working with "larger" electrical circuits... Mainly helping my dad wire up houses, additions, shops, ect. As I got older we would split the money 50/50.

Since my father is no longer doing this stuff, I have been pillaging the old boxes trying to find some useful stuff to help me out.

This is what I have so far:

Fluke 77 III Multimeter

Radioshack Soldering Iron Cat# : 64-2067c 30 watt
on a Weller model PH60 Base ( he evidently burnt up his weller Iron )

One Beat-up but otherwise looks to be in good condition tip...

I have a weller Soldering gun which I have not looked at the part no of.

Desoldering Bulb

rolls ( various gauges) of magnet wire I have used on school projects, ( motors, coilguns, ect)

Some things I know I need

I do not know where his solder is so I will need some

a breadboard
I need to get some .22 solid copper for breadboarding ( trying to find where to get this cheap)
a lot of various inexpensive parts. ( If anyone will help me with this I will greatly appreciate LED's, Resistors, Capacitors, switches and any other useful parts!!!) as it is I am scavenging parts but I don't have a desoldering braid yet.

what else would I need to really start experimenting? When I dive into something I want to do it whole heartedly but I am finding it difficult while working full-time, taking classes, and having a fiance who doesn't understand my "geeky" obsessions with computers and electronics.

I would really love to have an oscilloscope, but it's a bit outside my budget for now. I commonly use CAT5 cables for my jumper wires, but it's finer than 22AWG and doesn't work quite as well.

I don't have any magnet wire, since none of my projects have needed that stuff.

A computer for running PSpice and EagleCAD is very useful.

I picked up a desoldering iron a few weeks back. Seriously, it's one of the best investments I've ever made. Going from the desoldering braid to the iron was a world of difference.

EDIT: Also throw in some soldering tip cleaner. Again, one of those things about which I wonder "How in the world did I live without this?"

Last edited:
Back