What do i do with four P3 Processors?

wesquaz

Weaksauce
I was rummaging through my basement and i came across 4 mobos complete with P3 processors. what can i do with them?

Mabye some sort of dual/multiprocessor system?

I currently have a $40 CAN budget

man, i am complete noob with computers, is there any way of telling just by looking at the chip??

CORRECTION::

there are 3 working processors, but the other is completely whack.

My suggestion=bat+baseball field

Or

Airsoft/BB/Paintball/real gun target practice

Or

HL2 style with a crowbar

are they slot or socket processors?

and how do you know the third is fooked?

Don't destroy them unless they're extremely slow and obsolete. What are the specs on them?

Yea, either donate them, use them for a home server (file server maybe?, smoothwall firewall?). Or setup some folding boxen. I wouldn't even think of destroying a working PIII class piece of hardware. It's still useful. Heck i'm still using a P-100 as a server.. I might consider destroying something that OLD LOL!

The [H]orde needs You!

OK

one of the four processors, the slot one is whack because the pins anre all bent and halfway out the socket, probably a product of bad storage. The rest are socket processors.

I would like to perhaps make a dual processor system, if i can get an appropriate mobo. (eBay?)

On one of the P3's, it shows "667/256/133/1.65 V" is this significant?

Also, if anybody has links to post for any website(s) that i could learn more about hardware, that would be greatly appreciated.. I think computers are the most interesting things in the world, I need to learn more.

wesquaz said:
On one of the P3's, it shows "667/256/133/1.65 V" is this significant?

667Mhz 256KB Cache 133FSB and 1.65 Voltage. Least I think that's what it is.

Use my example to figure out the specs on the other 2 aswell.

You can make a quad-PIII system and I'll make a system out of the 20ish P1's I have lying around (And one AMD K-6!) and we'll have them battle it out in the thunderdome.

leon2ky- will do, but the heatsinks are freakin hard to get off, any tips?

electric boogaloo- lol, remember, one of em is fuxxored, and i dont know where i can get a triple p3 mobo. I also have spare P4, duron, P1, P2, and celeron systems cooped up in storage! (what a waste)

Make a Printer server out of it, or a File server, you can put those 3 P3 CPU in great use unless they are slow ass CPU.

I've got a P2 or P3 550mhz Slot 1 CPU running as a Media Centre in the basement. It can pretty much play anything except WMV HD stuff. You'd be surprised at how much use you can get out of an old machine.

MrPrez said:
My suggestion=bat+baseball field

Or

Airsoft/BB/Paintball/real gun target practice

Or

HL2 style with a crowbar

Most

Stupid

Advice

Ever

:mad:

http://folding.stanford.edu/

Folding@Home is a distributed computing project which studies protein folding, misfolding, aggregation, and related diseases. We use novel computational methods and large scale distributed computing, to simulate timescales thousands to millions of times longer than previously achieved. This has allowed us to simulate folding for the first time, and to now direct our approach to examine folding related disease.

in short the search for knowledge to cure cancer and related diseases

there are teams, the current leading team is [H]ardforum's
hmmm... well we where the leading team a little while ago
seems OCAU has regained the lead according to the stats
http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teamstats

Ice Czar said:
http://folding.stanford.edu/

Folding@Home is a distributed computing project which studies protein folding, misfolding, aggregation, and related diseases. We use novel computational methods and large scale distributed computing, to simulate timescales thousands to millions of times longer than previously achieved. This has allowed us to simulate folding for the first time, and to now direct our approach to examine folding related disease.

in short the search for knowledge to cure cancer and related diseases

there are teams, the current leading team is [H]ardforum's
hmmm... well we where the leading team a little while ago
seems OCAU has regained the lead according to the stats
http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teamstats
omg thx Czar, and you don't even frequent the DC Forum! :eek: :p
you should come more often--just look out for Moose's reach through!

well I dont post in DC
but Admins are like Santa Claus,
we see everything and keep lists of who's naughty and nice :p

Back