What do dell cases use as motherboard standoffs

Suicidal Insanity

Limp Gawd
I recently was given an empty dell case, however it has no standard motherboard standoff screwholes, what do these cases use (its on of the ones that you can split / rotate open)

Unfortunatly you have to buy a Dell branded motherboard. No other choice unless you want to fabricate all the mountings yourself.

cant I just get the standoffs / spacers / whatever it uses from someone and utilize them with my board?
why must each company make its own special junk, the compaq case I was also given has some sort of 24 or 26 pin ATX PSU (not ATX 2.0)

Good luck finding someone that does.

Most major brands do this so that you ONLY buy from them. If you want a case buy one at newegg or mwave or a store like that.

The specific terminology would be 'proprietary hardware' and all high volume PC makers want to be 'unique' wiith their designs so that other company's components will not swap out easily....a sort of built in 'you have to buy that from us' thought process. ;)

Suicidal Insanity said:
cant I just get the standoffs / spacers / whatever it uses from someone and utilize them with my board?
why must each company make its own special junk, the compaq case I was also given has some sort of 24 or 26 pin ATX PSU (not ATX 2.0)

Dell clamshell cases mount the motherboard on a removable tray, if you don't have the tray there's really no cheap and easy way to mount a different board in the system (as the tray also has the I/O shield too). Sure makes it easy for me to do Motherboard swaps though. I don't even need a screwdriver to work on those machines. eBay the Dell case (somebody will probably want one) and go to Newegg and buy a standard ATX case.

well, if it uses a tray the guy I got it from may still have it, only reason I am using these is because I didn't want to spend any money on a case for a real old PC I just want running for testing purposes. Compaq case currently has normal ATX PSU in it via 1 screw and alot of ducttape, it should hold for now.

Back