What DLC expansions are totally worth playing?

piscian18

[H]F Junkie
Its funny from steam sales and other nonsense I have a library full of DLC stuff that I've never played. I'm just curious has anyone played through a DLC expansion they thought was just the bees knees? I of course don't mean DLC that just adds skins, but something with an actual campaign of some sort.

Sure..

Borderlands 2's - Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep
Fallout NV - Old World Blues
Fallout 4 - NukaWorld and Far Harbor
Cities Skyline - most if not all of them.
Hacknet's DLC
Destiny 2's Foresaken

Judging by the previous titles in the series, I would guess the upcoming expansion for Civ VI, Gathering Storm, will be a must. Most Civ titles only really started to shine after their second expansion.

I also fondly remember the Alien Crossfire expansion for Alpha Centauri and the awesome new factions. Those were good times...

Sure..

Borderlands 2's - Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep
Fallout NV - Old World Blues
Fallout 4 - NukaWorld and Far Harbor

Best DLC for BL2 by a mile.

My favorite DLC for NV. Health regen halo's and stealth suit FTW!

NukaWorld allows one to become THE raider Overboss, and reshape the Commonwealth in your image, who could ask for anything more??
Far Harbor has many new unique weapons and perks, including the harpoon gun and Protector/ Destroyer of Arcadia, careful with the Protector of Arcadia perk though, it can be over ridden by rank 3 of Nerd Rage!

Most games I don't even finish the game. Much less get to the DLC.

Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction takes the best "DLC" award for me. Added two new classes, raised the graphics resolution, and introduced a whole new act. Good times back in the day when games released actual expansions, and were fun enough to play all the way through.

Blood and Wine for the Witcher 3 might be the best DLC of all time. It's closer to the old days of expansion packs than typical DLCs.
As far as normal DLCs go, Destiny 1 and 2 both add a ton of content with their year-end DLC's. Destiny 1 had Taken King and Rise of Iron. Destiny 2 has Forsaken. Ignore the smaller DLC's they added in-between as they're already included.

Mass Effect 2: Kasumi: Stolen Memory
Mass Effect 2: Overlord
Mass Effect 2: Lair of the Shadow Broker
Mass Effect 2: Arrival
Mass Effect 3: Leviathan
Mass Effect 3: Omega
Mass Effect 3: Citadel
Destiny 2: Forsaken

I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones that stand out the most in my mind.

Reactions: M76
like this
Blood and Wine for the Witcher 3 might be the best DLC of all time. It's closer to the old days of expansion packs than typical DLCs.
As far as normal DLCs go, Destiny 1 and 2 both add a ton of content with their year-end DLC's. Destiny 1 had Taken King and Rise of Iron. Destiny 2 has Forsaken. Ignore the smaller DLC's they added in-between as they're already included.

After I play RE2, I'm thinking of giving TW3 another play thru since I beat it before Blood and Wine dropped. When you compared it to expansion packs of days of old, did you mean like F.E.A.R expansion packs like Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate where they were totally their own games?

After I play RE2, I'm thinking of giving TW3 another play thru since I beat it before Blood and Wine dropped. When you compared it to expansion packs of days of old, did you mean like F.E.A.R expansion packs like Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate where they were totally their own games?

Yup, similar in scope. I forgot about those, but that's a great example. The first game the came to mind for me as Baldur's Gate 2. The Throne of Bhaal expansion for that game was basically Baldur's Gate 2.5. Not as big as a full-on sequel but halfway there.
Blood & Wine adds an additional map that's one of the biggest and most dense in the game. It also adds a ton of new items that totally revamp the end game gear.

its funny you should mention those, the reason i started the thread is that the FEAR expansions popped up in my feed. I own everything FEAR related but have never played past the first main game. No idea if i should bother playing those.

Last edited:
its funny you should mention those, the reason i started the thread is that the FEAR expansions popped up in my feed. I own everything FEAR related but have never played past the first main game. No idea if i should bother playing those.

Yes. If you liked F.E.A.R, then they are a must. Especially Perseus Mandate. You play a different character in both, plus new weapons and enemies. I recommend Extreme difficulty for the best experience.

FEAR 2 is good but different, and FEAR 3 is not FEAR at all.

I just played FEAR last year, still pretty good, starting to look dated though, maybe they can join the remake crowd?

XCOM2: War of the Choosen
C&C Generals: Zero Hour
Defense Grid: You Monster
Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Mass Effect Bring Down the Sky (this was actually free and it had a few hours long campaign, how much the world has turned in 10 years)
ME2: Kasumi, Overlord, Arrival, Lair of the Shadowbroker
ME3: Omega, Citadel, Leviathan
Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 year celebration pack (Croft Manor)

The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine was probably the best last expac I played. But teh Dragon Age and Mass Effect series weren't bad if you liked the base game.

Back