What distro for P-100 w/16mb memory....

Canon

2[H]4U
I was just wondering what you guys think I should install on it.

I tried Fedora Core with some CDs I had laying around from when I was messing with it in VMware on my laptop. It tells me I don't have enough memory.

I did run Debian about 2 years ago or something but that has since been dumped because I needed a windows 98 machine in a pinch when my main desktop mahine died.

I know some very vey basic things about *nix from playing in the past but I was thinking about trying to make a basic FTP and Web server and maybe try my hand at setting up a teamspeak server as well.

The system that this will all be going onto is:
IBM P-100
16mb memory
1.2 GIG SCSI HDD (on an Adaptec SCSI card)
6.4 GIG Quantum HDD on IDE
32x Acer CD-ROM
D-Link 530tx NIC

Should I download and burn debian again and start tinkering again? Some links and reccomendations would be appreciated. And yes, I do realize i'll be limited to command line only which is fine with me.

The small distributions like DSL and Feather should be good.

Also, look at Slackware.

Ok, DSL isn't what i'm looking for since it's a live CD install, I want to install it on the computer permenantly.

Slackware seems like it could be good. Am I going to have any trouble installing it with only 16mb of memory though? Kinda sucks burning a CD and finding out it doesn't work.

Actually... DSL does allow a permanent installation to the hard drive.

Link

Please do some research before posting comments like that.

Mandane

Sorry, I guess I didn't look close enough. Thanks for the clarification.

well you didn't speciically say that you wanted linux. Um Free BSD. Their net install is really easy. If you have a floppy and i'll assume you do on that old of a machine. All you need is two floppies one for the boot floppy and one for network drivers.

I'm not sure what team speak is. But a Free BSD ftp and web server are eaisly workable. And will be rock solid, you know two or three year uptime if needed. I have a headless Fre BSD smb server and it's great. It's so reliable i don't even have a keyboard hooked up to it anymore. I just ssh into it whenever needed. Which isn't often because it's never under a heavy load and never breaks.

Back