What did you think of the NVidia 3000 Series Launch?

What did you think of the NVidia 3000 Series Launch?

• Massively Disappointing: Expected Unicorn Power.

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Slightly Disappointing: Wanted/Expected more.

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • OK: Met Expectaions.

Votes: 21 11.5%
  • Very nice: Better than expected.

Votes: 124 67.8%
  • Mind blowing: Unicorn Power is here!

Votes: 21 11.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
AMD is desperately panicking right now.

When it comes to sheer features, performance, and even price, Nvidia just can't be legitimately defeated. They corner every segment of the market, and then deliver a KO punch. And it's just brutal.

I really hope AMD has forged a sword that can be dubbed "Nvidia Killer."

Otherwise, Nvidia has already won this round. Again.

Was expecting the 3090 to be around $1,500, so that was right, but I didn't expect the other cards to be so cheap.
Sad thing is we've been programmed into thinking these are reasonable prices when they aren't. I thought the 3090 would be $1900 and they would also increase the lower end costs also but they took the foot off our necks just enough for us to get a little air. I plan on buying 2 when I see stock(3080 me, wife wants the 3090) , before seeing the presentation I was still fighting my purchase and wanted to hold out for AMD. Mr. Leather jacket won me over with the $699 price.

Well I think the prices for the 3080 and below are fairly reasonable, even compared to like the 1080 Ti launch.

I don't want to be the old geezer: "back in my day, soda pop cost 5 cents".

Cautiously excited about what was shown yesterday.

Will wait on actual reviews (plural) of the AIB cards (interest for the EVGA 3080 Hybrid personally).

I must say, though, that a 3080Ti seems almost inevitable and to me that sounds like it might be THE move to do. Close to 3090 perf on a pure gaming card for 850-900 would be awesome. Even at 1000 I'd be all over it l.

And going by the size those things are getting I just might have to finally try out watercooling to cram it in there (ITX).

Yeah, I might try with water if I can mount the rad somewhere.

Or hope there is a 2 slot AIB version.

I am in the same boat. Impressed with 3080 but not the ram amount. So it might be best to wait until big Navi launches and see how it competes. Also that should have 16GB. But waiting might work out where we might get 20GB for 3080 model in a few months. Ofcourse for more money but I don’t mind spending another below 1k for 3080 20GB if navi disappoints.

AMD doesn't have GDDR6X which means they need a 512-bit bus or HBM to challenge the 3080. I wonder what they think of the $700 price. If they can beat the 3080 I expect Big Navi to be in the same range $700-800. If not they will be in a tough spot.

I’m waiting for people to freak out about the FE cooler dumping exhaust heat at cpu air cooler, top mounted aio tank, motherboard vrms, etc.
That’ll be fun.

i don't think it'll be that bad.. there are already plenty of cards that do pretty much the same thing with the sapphire pulse vega 56 which uses a half length pcb with full length cooler being the closest to nvidia's design.

Well I think the prices for the 3080 and below are fairly reasonable, even compared to like the 1080 Ti launch.

I don't want to be the old geezer: "back in my day, soda pop cost 5 cents".

can't really use the 1080ti launch as anything, it was released 9 months after the 1080 so the market price was already set with the 1080 and the titan X given how close in performance it was to the titan.

This is the first time I am tempted by high end cards. True 4k gaming has arrived. I game at 1440p at the moment, so I would be fine with a 3070. But I am suspicious of its reliance of raytracing and DLSS improvements to justify it's improvements. I look at RTX and DLSS as worst case scenarios for 4k gaming. I think the 3080 is a good sweet spot. The 3090 looks massive and beautiful. I almost think it might be the best value due to being a top end halo card. It it least likely to have a TI or super version that might push it's price down or competition from AMD pushing the price down.

AMD doesn't have GDDR6X which means they need a 512-bit bus or HBM to challenge the 3080. I wonder what they think of the $700 price. If they can beat the 3080 I expect Big Navi to be in the same range $700-800. If not they will be in a tough spot.

I would bet on HBM over 512 bit bus.

HBM would give them the best chance, as it helps keep power in check, which is going to be an issue.

Of all the times AMD used HBM, this would really be the time they need it.

Very pleased. I went into it getting ready for a sticker shock price on the RTX 3080 but it came out well below what I've had saved. At that price point, I could buy a higher tier 3080 (it will be between EVGA or MSI for their warranty). And probably still have money for a new mobo or processor.

The RTX 3070 equal 2080 TI was surprising. I had seen rumors about this, but figured of all the rumors I'd seen that was the most far fetched.

Performance-wise, the 3080 is perfect. I'm firmly in the 4k@60fps group, and the 3080 appears ready to serve that space well.

AMD has just a month to generate some noise, I'm really surprised they haven't tried to spoil the Nvidia party somehow. I'm still a AMD fanboy at heart, but will still need 'something' to persuade me to wait for Big Navi at this point.

I would bet on HBM over 512 bit bus.

HBM would give them the best chance, as it helps keep power in check, which is going to be an issue.

Of all the times AMD used HBM, this would really be the time they need it.

Agree, much likely to be HBM given the die size and power consumption benefits. 16GB of the stuff + interposer doesn't come cheap though. On the flip side Ampere needs chunky PCBs and power. Nvidia certainly seems to think it still comes out cheaper than HBM.

While I agree, the picture changes completely once you factor DLSS, I think nvidia will push it really hard maybe even making it mandatory for Ray Tracing.

Meh, not impressed with DLSS, feels like 90% placebo.

DLSS is cool. However, it definitely has some visual problems. Personally, I don't think we should have to rely on it for RT at 1440p or under. But from the looks of it, we may still need to. I think DLSS should be mostly meant for upscaling to 4K (understanding there are some visual issues) or for making high refresh rates possible in more games (understanding there are visual issues).

Again, tests may show the new RT cores to do better than I think they will. But on paper, it looks like Nvidia left AMD some room to possibly deliver a more well rounded card at the mid-range. I could easily see AMD coming out with 3070 and 3080 competitors in shading and rastor performance. But better overall performance with RT. Because AMD could decide to spec more RT cores or whatever their equivalent spec might be. And I suspect that significantly more RT cores will be the key improvement in Ampere's refresh a year or so from now.

With thier big Navi launch looming a month or so away Im pretty sure theyve already punched out hundreds of thousands of gpu dies and have already manufactured many of the cards. This close to a release the only real changes they can make is going to be thier drivers and software really.

As far as nV price scheme it would seem that either nV has listened to customers complain? Doubtful, or they are genuinely worried about Dr. Su.

Either way this shaping up to be a really good GPU launch quarter.

Im hoping that nV launch will be well stocked with high availability. Presentation was good but thats only half of the battle. If nV does this right all of you should be able to post pics of your new Amp cards on the site without waiting weeks or months to get your hands on one.

This is the first time I am tempted by high end cards. True 4k gaming has arrived. I game at 1440p at the moment, so I would be fine with a 3070. But I am suspicious of its reliance of raytracing and DLSS improvements to justify it's improvements. I look at RTX and DLSS as worst case scenarios for 4k gaming. I think the 3080 is a good sweet spot. The 3090 looks massive and beautiful. I almost think it might be the best value due to being a top end halo card. It it least likely to have a TI or super version that might push it's price down or competition from AMD pushing the price down.

Did you just say 3090 might be the best value? Lol. There is nothing value about it. Real bang is 3080. Less than half the price of 3090 and probably online 20-25% slower. 3080 20GB would be great. I won’t be buying the 10GB for now.

Did you just say 3090 might be the best value? Lol. There is nothing value about it. Real bang is 3080. Less than half the price of 3090 and probably online 20-25% slower. 3080 20GB would be great. I won’t be buying the 10GB for now.

I think the 3080 and 3090 are the same exact gpu etc... youre just paying 700 more for 14GiB of more ram.

I think the 3080 and 3090 are the same exact gpu etc... youre just paying 700 more for 14GiB of more ram.

And to have 20% more cores unlocked, the standard binning strategy for big GPU dies.

It will be interesting to see how much RAM only upgrades cost in comparison. I would expect $25/GB at the absolute minimum. Most likely more than that.

How can you miss the SKU difference when the presentation had all the info?
That is just sad...

And to have 20% more cores unlocked, the standard binning strategy for big GPU dies.

It will be interesting to see how much RAM only upgrades cost in comparison. I would expect $25/GB at the absolute minimum. Most likely more than that.

Are there more cores unlocked? I didnt see that data. Im not digging that deep this launch. Dont have the time.

www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/

CUDA Cores
3090: 10496
3080: 8704

Basically you get around 20% more performance resources(CUDA, RT, Tensor, Memory BW) and 14GB more actual memory.

Yep. At more than double the price. It’s bragging rights product lol. I’ll wait for 20GB model. Might get the 10GB and resell it for premium because there are reports of shortage until next year rofl.

Yep. At more than double the price. It’s bragging rights product lol. I’ll wait for 20GB model. Might get the 10GB and resell it for premium because there are reports of shortage until next year rofl.

Of course. It's not called the BFGPU for nothing. :D

But it will also be fantastic for AI/Compute work, where the cost won't bat an eyelid.

I think the whole lineup will be going instantly sell out whenever a new batch lands for well into the future.

If it actually works like this:
View attachment 275395

Then it's an improvement over the 3 open air fans, just randomly circulating air in the case.
Yeah, they basically just took existing designs and made the opening a little larger.. I'm sure it works about the same as has already been done....

1599060412515.png

Yeah and that 14GB more memory will have zero benefit in any practical gaming situation. So 20% more performance for 110% more money :cautious:

It's kind of how Halo products work. I get a chuckle over the people who get upset that Halo products are poor perf/$. I have even seen people complain that 3090 is too expensive, so they are switching to consoles. :confused:

Ignore the Halo product, and get the next down the line, which performs close for half the price. "Problem" solved.

AMD is desperately panicking right now.

When it comes to sheer features, performance, and even price, Nvidia just can't be legitimately defeated. They corner every segment of the market, and then deliver a KO punch. And it's just brutal.

I really hope AMD has forged a sword that can be dubbed "Nvidia Killer."

Otherwise, Nvidia has already won this round. Again.
Every market? I haven't seen a sub $500 card listed yet, how can you say every market? I will say they priced about in line with my expectations, although pleasantly surprised the 3080 was about $100 less than I was expecting. Now to see what else comes out and when and see how the availability is going to be.

It's kind of how Halo products work. I get a chuckle over the people who get upset that Halo products are poor perf/$. I have even seen people complain that 3090 is too expensive, so they are switching to consoles. :confused:

Ignore the Halo product, and get the next down the line, which performs close for half the price. "Problem" solved.
This is funny to me as well. The original Titan RTX launched at $2,500, and people are complaining that this gen's Titan-class GPU is "too expensive" at $1,000 less. It may be a poor value proposition compared to the 3080 but performance per dollar has always been a game of diminishing returns.

I'll personally be enjoying my 3090 just as fast as I can get my hands on one.

Last edited:
Was expecting the 3090 to be around $1,500, so that was right, but I didn't expect the other cards to be so cheap.

I thought the 2080Ti replacement would be around $999, had all the other prices pretty much spot on.

I guessed $1400 for the 3090 in the poll in the other thread, because I honestly thought that card would be card for the money no object gamers and that there would be a 2080Ti replacement somewhere between the 3080 and 3090.

I think the upgrade factor from my 1080ti to the 3090 is gonna be stout. Glad I skipped last gen.

I tried to skip last gen. Had a 1080... then I found a 1080Ti for sale for cheap on a local marketplace. Bought it and it ended up being DOA but it was still under warranty. Sent it in and EVGA replaced it with a 2080 XC ULTRA GAMING.

um no, not at all.. lol

the 3090 has 10496 cuda cores, 24GB of GDDR6X at 384bit bus. the 3080 has 8704 cuda cores with 10GB of GDDR6X at 320bit bus. is it the same die? yeah most likely but the 700 dollars isn't just buying you more memory. it's just an RTX titan 2 without the titan branding. only this time they left a lot more room in there for a 3080 super and 3080ti without them stepping on the toes of the card above it. same with the 3070 and 3080.

um no, not at all.. lol

the 3090 has 10496 cuda cores, 24GB of GDDR6X at 384bit bus. the 3080 has 8704 cuda cores with 10GB of GDDR6X at 320bit bus. is it the same die? yeah most likely but the 700 dollars isn't just buying you more memory. it's just an RTX titan 2 without the titan branding. only this time they left a lot more room in there for a 3080 super and 3080ti without them stepping on the toes of the card above it. same with the 3070 and 3080.

Sigh.... i admitted I didnt know respectfully. And I was already answered much earlier.

Back