What did you do with your tax refund (if any)?

pututu

[H]ard DC'er of the Year 2021
If you have some non-W2 income, sometimes you over/under estimated the taxes paid to Uncle Sam after last minute (legit) deductions/contributions.

Well last year I over estimated :cry: and instead of getting the refund, I decided to use some of the refund to get me a used ASUS ROG Strix GTX1080 :LOL: in our For Sale / Trade forum. This is the spec that I bought. Arrived last night and started crunching GPUgrid this morning. Power limit set at 50% for better GPU efficiency, at least for now. Card alone is consuming about 100W now.

BTW, I saw Dookey posted in similar forum that he bought a 1080 and 1070. Go [H]ordes!

upload_2017-4-14_13-52-55.png

View attachment 21953

Last edited:
Well I haven't got around to filing my taxes for a few years :nailbiting: but I have a few prepped and ready to go and know I have refunds coming. In anticipation of this impending windfall I put together a new 1p Server boxen 2 days ago which is happily chewing away on BOINC and GPU folding on a GTX750 for the time being but something better will trickle down once I upgrade my main PC's videocard. Nice looking card you got yourself there

I put together a new 1p Server boxen 2 days ago
(y) please post a pic.
You can get a used 1080 with custom cooling card for low $400 here or in ebay. My first card upgrade since 970 and thanks to the refund (which is actually our money really but I considered this money as bonus :D)

Of course the US government could actually try and fix its tax system so that you only paid what you actually owed. Sounds to me that your refunds are helping fund government spending for a while before it repays you. Here we don't get tax refunds but the recent refund I got on mis sold credit card insurance did pay for my 1080:)

Well... refunds are created in various ways. Most people actually withhold more than they should knowingly. Essentially giving the government a free loan but also ensuring they don't have to pay in a lump sum or to reduce what they would pay in. I used to use it as a saving mechanism when I was younger so that I would get a lump sum check from monies I couldn't touch the whole year. Helped pay off student loans, car, etc... early doing it.

Well my annual bonus just came through and after paying for the upcoming vacations and give the wife a portion i'm sure there will be enough for a gpu to help the team along.

Back