what device do i need to do this?

xappie

[H]ard|Gawd
Current setup:

Wireless router upstairs, connected to DSL modem. All the devices in the house connect to it.

Now I want to put my bluray player, which is located on the main floor, onto the network but it only has a wired connection. I can not run cable from the wireless router to the player to connect it that way, so I want to add something else downstairs that will connect to my network wirelessly, and then plug in the bluray player with a wired connection to that new device.

Do I just get another wireless router for downstairs? In the router I currently have, I don't see options to have it join an existing wireless network, so not sure that is how you would do it at all.

Any advice is appreciated!

TLDR:
what device do i need to add a WIRED network connection for one or 2 devices, but have that device connected to the network wirelessly?

I like the Apple Airport Express' they're kind of pricey though. I'm using two at home for that exact purpose.

Ah, cool stuff.

Is a wireless "bridge" and an wirelss "access point" the same thing?

A wireless bridge does exactly as it sounds. It bridges a network together. Basically the signal from your current router goes to the bridge and then passes the traffic to the network cable.

Some access points allow bridging, others dont.

Back