What Debian includes Gnome 2.22?

spotdog14

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a "test" laptop that i have to well test out linux distros till i find one that works good on this POS, ahhaah.

I use the newest Ubuntu on my main laptop, and have gotten use to Gnome 2.22.

I tried the new OpenSUSE, but it just runs so slow on this beast (compaq evo n400c, 800 Mhz PIII gig or RAM, 20 gig HDD). So i decided to try out vanilla Debian, and downloaded the buisness card cd which was "Debian 40r3."

Should i try the most recent daily built of unstable or do they not even have Gnome 2.22?

Thanks for any help.

BTW Debian rocks! hahah

Most distros containing gnome 2.22 at this point are beta or -RC versions.

Problem with wanting the latest greatest gnome, is that with that usually comes the latest greatest everything else, which as you saw with OpenSUSE, doesn't get you stellar performance on older hardware.

Most distros containing gnome 2.22 at this point are beta or -RC versions.

Problem with wanting the latest greatest gnome, is that with that usually comes the latest greatest everything else, which as you saw with OpenSUSE, doesn't get you stellar performance on older hardware.

That is very much true, its funny i really havnt used this version of Gnome since Ubuntu Edgy... hahah i forgot how to do a lot of stuff....

Right now i am struggling with fonts, the default Debian install does not give me a lot of options, and some websites look HORRIBLE with the serif font, so i am trying to find a font pack or something...

But overall it runs fairly well on this old machine. The sad thing is that it has a "faster" hard drive than my regular laptop (5400 RPM vs 4200 RPM).

But anywho thanks for your response.

If you want the fonts like ubuntu uses do "apt-get install msttcorefonts"

wow well after installing Archlinux 3 times, this last time actually paying attention to the wiki i am starting to like Arch, even though i dont even have a desktop environment yet. It makes you download and configure your own X server. Its really fun actually, i had to reboot once and start all over.

I am right now running X downloading gnome. man, i could get use to just regular X if i can find a good text based email reader.

" * GNOME 2.22 on its way to lenny
The last GNOME release, 2.22, entails some big changes, migrating away
from the well-known gnome-vfs to gvfs, a similar, but saner implementation
of a virtual file system in glib. As these changes are not perfectly
mature yet, some of the packages more affected by them, like the nautilus
file manager, have only been uploaded to experimental. Most other packages
have entered unstable and some already migrated to lenny. In the coming
weeks, the first bug fix release, 2.22.1 is scheduled to be uploaded
and move to testing."
-- http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/04/msg00002.html

Back