What crimper are good? Coax and Ether

spotdog14

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello everyone, I am about to dablle in my own crimping of coax and ethernet cable. My project is going to be to wire two of my upstairs bedrooms with coax and ethernet cable as well as my living room.

My plan:

For the upstairs I would have to go on the outside of the house, in the corner bedroom there is already an external telephone wire installed. I was thinking about removing that and using the hole already in the siding to push through the coax and ethernet. But for the second bedroom (which is right next to the one I was just talking about) I would have to drill a new hole in the siding.

Does this sound about right?

As for the living room I already have found the coax runs in the basement, I was just going to tape the ethernet to it and pull it through the wall, simple enough.

So now, I want a one of those compression crimper's for the coax, and I have no clue on the ethernet. If you could find it off of Monoprice that would be great too!

Thanks for any help!

When i wired ethernet outlets in my folks house we just bought the leviton? jacks from home depot or lowes. They included a plastic tool you use to connect your ethernet cable to the wall jack. To simplify things, we jut used the same jacks in the closet where the switch was located and used patch cables to connect to the switch.

This worked well enough, and appeared to support gigabit.

They sell multi-port wall plates you can mix & match cat5, coax, telephone jacks into too, which means less new holes on the inside walls.

for the coax definitely go with the compression crimper.

no clue on a good brand or anything, not something I've dug much into (yet)

For the upstairs I would have to go on the outside of the house, in the corner bedroom there is already an external telephone wire installed. I was thinking about removing that and using the hole already in the siding to push through the coax and ethernet.

This sounds like you're talking about the box that sits outside of your house that the telco use.

You really don't want to mess with that. The telco will get all kinds of angry at you if you do.

That being said you should have all the wiring go through one box, like something in a garage.I know leviton has an enclosure where you can have all the wires run to.

Depending on when your home was built (and building codes in your area,) you may have conduits you could use.

Here's another tip wire up your network and phone lines using ethernet. There's no reason to use just rj11 for phones anymore.

This sounds like you're talking about the box that sits outside of your house that the telco use.

You really don't want to mess with that. The telco will get all kinds of angry at you if you do.

ehhh... yes and no. There is a customer-accessible side that the homeowner is legally allowed to get into. It's where the internal wiring terminates, to get dialtone. There is no law requiring only the telco to wire up phone wires in the NID.

You can do whatever you like with the phone wiring on the customer side of the NID.
There should be no problem removing that wire and using the hole for your network cable.

for the coax definitely go with the compression crimper.

no clue on a good brand or anything, not something I've dug much into (yet)

correct. and this is the one to get-
http://www.a1components.com/itemdisplayn.aspx?item=3239

theyre hard to find, because theyre aimed for VDV technicians for commercial work. i used them on the job before, they allow you to get a compression end on a coax cable faster and cleaner then anything out there period. and this price i found is fantastic- they normally go for $100 a pop. this one stands out mainly because it strips and crimps in one tool, but overall its designed brilliantly, and should last forever.

I've used that one and it's not bad. However, it only works with Thomas and Betts Snap-N-Seal connectors. I run into lots of different brands so it helps to have an adjustable compression tool. This is what I use.
http://www.platinumtools.com/crimp/16201.html

yeah you have a good point. i dont do much cable running myself, its easy to keep a TB stock of connectors for me. i do know some of the guys hated that t&b crimper i linked, but they werent even using it right. they took off the strip stop and just tried to strip like 2" off and then cut it back, they were idiots.

For CAT5e cable and RJ-45 ends I would recommend search for the EZ-RJ45 crimper and ends. They make life easy when you untwist the pairs and push them through the ends they stick through and you can get the shielding in the end. Makes it perfect.

thanks for the link. i have been looking for those things, we used some ideal ones at work that were similar, thought these look even easier actually.

Back