What cpu to get? 3600, 3800 or 3900.. cooling is not an issue..

Parting out my current rig to build something new. The dimm 1 slot stopped working on my x99 setup. Just sold off the dual 1080 GTXs I had on water today. So I’m ordering a new CPU and Motherboard this week, as well as a new cpu water block. Current rig I have a 5820k @ 4.5ghz all cores , been at that for last 3 years. I have dual 360mm rads in my case with 6 Corsair ML fans. So I’m trying to decide what CPU to get. It will be Over clocked and on water. It will only be used for gaming and I’ll be getting a 3080ti when they drop to go along with it. Price really isn’t an issue as it’s only 200 bucks between bottom and top. But also don’t want to waste money either. I have built a few 3800x systems for my customers and they seam really snappy. I haven’t had the pleasure of over clocking any yet however. I figure any of them will kill my old 5820k pretty easy even at stock speeds. Also planed to use the 3200 memory I was using from that build. Will that hold me back? When over clocking? I would like this to last me another 3 years like the last build. Also I’ll be gaming mostly at 4k. Picking up the new LG 48inch oled. Attached picture of current setup. Thanks for any input

Attachments

• A9FBEB53-4167-4E2B-95C7-7C1CE84774E5.jpeg
    A9FBEB53-4167-4E2B-95C7-7C1CE84774E5.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 0
Just purchase the 3900X then, since cost is not an object. It is also going to be faster in top clock speed, most likely.

get the 3900x lol and then swap it out again at he end of the year for one of the new models coming out. They will all loose value when the new ones drop so a temporary 3800 would be good as well

Get a 3600/3600x

Besr gaming cpu on the market!

Dont argue with me other people! Trust me!!

Parting out my current rig to build something new. The dimm 1 slot stopped working on my x99 setup. Just sold off the dual 1080 GTXs I had on water today. So I’m ordering a new CPU and Motherboard this week, as well as a new cpu water block. Current rig I have a 5820k @ 4.5ghz all cores , been at that for last 3 years. I have dual 360mm rads in my case with 6 Corsair ML fans. So I’m trying to decide what CPU to get. It will be Over clocked and on water. It will only be used for gaming and I’ll be getting a 3080ti when they drop to go along with it. Price really isn’t an issue as it’s only 200 bucks between bottom and top. But also don’t want to waste money either. I have built a few 3800x systems for my customers and they seam really snappy. I haven’t had the pleasure of over clocking any yet however. I figure any of them will kill my old 5820k pretty easy even at stock speeds. Also planed to use the 3200 memory I was using from that build. Will that hold me back? When over clocking? I would like this to last me another 3 years like the last build. Also I’ll be gaming mostly at 4k. Picking up the new LG 48inch oled. Attached picture of current setup. Thanks for any input
Zen 2 CPUs are pretty good with different memory modules, gets more tricky with 4 dims installed but I got 4 dims (4 x 8gb) running at 3800mhz on a X370 motherboard with a 3900x, tested 2 x 16gb Hynix dram dims at XMP rated speed of 3466mhz without too much issue. So your ram should be good to go with maybe some adjustments.

I am on my fourth CPU on my ASUS motherboard, upgrades are easy and like magic. Since Zen 3 is most likely coming out in the next 6 - 9 months, you might want to just play around with a 3600x or 3700x and snag a high end Zen 3 later.

Then again Threadripper would be one potent combo if you can use a lot of PCIe slots.

If you're primarily building a gaming only rig, which is essentially what my full size desktop is these days, I agree with others. A 3600 will be A-ok. That being said, if you do other stuff, virtualize a little bit, a 3800 will give you more head room. Got some more cash? Go for the 3900!

If you want to build now and run it as long as your last system without a CPU swap then the 3900x and a nice board are where its at IMO. However for just 4k gaming and you mentioned wanting to OC the 3800x will probably clock just as high and the extra cores on the 3900x may not be needed.

Other route is a 3600 now to play with on a nice board and see what the 4000s are all about later this year.

If gaming is the only thing this will get used for, a 9900K(S) is arguably a better choice, especially given the relatively long tail.

I actually have a 3600 and a 9900K. In my own experience, the 9900K is faster in games that rely heavily on just a couple of threads (Ex: DCS World). In games that make better use of many logical cores, they're pretty closely matched (ex: Assassin's Creed Odyssey/Origins), particularly at 4K resolution.

I think I'd do my very best to avoid buying anything new right now, and wait for Ryzen 4000, which is supposed to actually be faster. If you just have to buy a Ryzen setup right now, I think I'd do what TheHig suggested and get a nice X570 board and a 3600, and consider upgrading the CPU later, if better ones become available.

So the more I look and read it seams spending a bunch on the motherboard doesn’t seam to net you much. Since these didn’t over clock super high. Newegg has the 3600 on sale right now for 175. I figure 250-300 on the motherboard? Any one have one they like ? Seams a lot of people like the asrock taichi x570. Never had a asrock board before. Always been a asus or MSI guy. I don’t need WiFi, really only need like 1 nvme maybe 2 and that’s it lol not hooking up anything sata , just one video card since they killed sli. Thanks for all the input.

So the more I look and read it seams spending a bunch on the motherboard doesn’t seam to net you much. Since these didn’t over clock super high. Newegg has the 3600 on sale right now for 175. I figure 250-300 on the motherboard? Any one have one they like ? Seams a lot of people like the asrock taichi x570. Never had a asrock board before. Always been a asus or MSI guy. I don’t need WiFi, really only need like 1 nvme maybe 2 and that’s it lol not hooking up anything sata , just one video card since they killed sli. Thanks for all the input.

I've got an ASUS ROG Strix x570-e which I like, but the general consensus is that most of the x570 boards are pretty darn good. The Taichi is a popular choice from ASROCK. If you want to stick with what you like (MSI) the Meg x570 Ace is quite popular as well.

Believe me, I tried to talk myself into it... but a buddy sold me his m3 for $4k instead...

Hah yeah I just bought a 98 Tacoma from a close friend thats offroaded AF, tires winch, all of it andnit handles epic in the woods. Just cleaned the mud off yesterday.

So I ordered a Asus ROG Hero VIII and a 3600 lol Going to wait for the new ones to drop then pick up a 12 core then. Since I’ll have to take my loop apart again to add the video card. Just do it all at once since I’ll have to bend new tubing agin. Could just cap off the water cooling for the time being and stick the cooler I have from a 3800x on the 3600. Hmmmm lol Also have to buy a new block as they don’t make the am4 adaptor that’s 12 bucks for my xspc Raystorm any more.

So I split the difference, said screw it and got the 3700x. Since I’m over clocking it.

Yeah, I just bought a 3700X and installed it in my second system. On Cinebench R11.5, I had a score of about 18.2 or so with the 1700 running at 3.8 GHz. Now, with the 3700X on stock speeds, it scores 23.34 or so, a HUGE increase. :)

Well looks like I fell down the Rabit hole. Just ordered a new case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic, EK-Quantum Momentum RGB block for the new motherboard, Also a EK distribution block made for the Lian li case, with built in pump. Should look kick ass when i'm done lol..

So I split the difference, said screw it and got the 3700x. Since I’m over clocking it.

I think that's a great choice. The 3600X is the best gaming CPU AMD offers right now especially at the prices its going for now but the 3700X is just as good at gaming but with a couple extra cores should you need them. The 3800X performs barely 2-3% better than a 3700X but costs $50+ more! Definitely not worth it for performance difference you'd never notice on anything other than a benchmark.

So yeah, I think the 3700X is the best of both worlds. Great at gaming and muktitbreaded tasks too and since they're going for $280 or so, it's hard to go wrong with them. I've had mine about a month now and I've been very happy with it.

So some of the new build is here.. if I didn’t spend so much on water cooling I might of gotten the 3950x.

Attachments

• 1AEB3B3E-13FA-4F17-A151-1C0816709D2B.jpeg
    1AEB3B3E-13FA-4F17-A151-1C0816709D2B.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 0
  • E8623D7E-F51A-4857-A623-C464738833F7.jpeg
    E8623D7E-F51A-4857-A623-C464738833F7.jpeg
    419.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 5374CA44-CA04-4CDE-98FD-0F5883C4FA75.jpeg
    5374CA44-CA04-4CDE-98FD-0F5883C4FA75.jpeg
    443.3 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: c3k
like this
I mean...A 3950x on air will beat a 3900x on high end water - by a country mile.

I would like to see the game clocks under load .. PBO and Auto overclock Ok ,, but no hard clocks as the clocks need to move up and down ,,

I have always water cooled. For probably 18 years now. I like the quiet more then anything. Just a bonus getting to turn everything up. Also I like building crazy systems. I know the AMD stuff doesn’t really over clock much. I’ll probably turn on PBO auto Overclock and see what it does. I’ll have 2 xspc AX360s with 6 maybe 12 Corsair ML120s. Be just the CPU and VRMs till the 3080 comes out. So it will be best case on cooling. About to order RAM this week my friend ended up buying all my 3200, been looking at either 3600 or 4000. What is everyone ones thoughts on the ram speed? Thanks

Indeed. The 3950X offers the highest boost clocks of any Ryzen 3000 series CPU at present. This can be helpful where gaming is concerned.

in actuality does it? My 3900 will hit 4.7 on one of the cores when the stars align. My first chipset is fairly good, 2nd is just average.

in actuality does it? My 3900 will hit 4.7 on one of the cores when the stars align. My first chipset is fairly good, 2nd is just average.

I'll have to double check but I think i get 4.725 on like 4 cores across my 3950x. However, that's not sustained and it depends on a lot of things other than cooling (like some stupid programs forcing highest p-state regardless of load, forcing all cores to max boost). In those cases, under low load (Ie only a couple of cores actually loaded but all set to max boost) I'm seeing ~4.4-4.5 stock across all cores (no PBO). If the cores are actually loaded it varies between 4.0 and 4.25 depending on the program. I do have an AIO, but nothing particularly high end or fancy, it just fit my case better than any decent air cooler.

Last edited:
So some of the new build is here.. if I didn’t spend so much on water cooling I might of gotten the 3950x.

Please post some gaming benchmarks. I am thinking about upgrading as well (although i won't go the water cooling route).

Please post some gaming benchmarks. I am thinking about upgrading as well (although i won't go the water cooling route).
Will if my case ever gets here. Ordered from Microcenter and it’s been 7 days and still hasn’t shipped. There like it will ship tomorrow. It’s in stock at Newegg now. If it doesn’t ship tomorrow I’m going to cancel and order though Newegg.

I just ordered my 3600. I figure it will work out great until the new ones arrive.

What do you have now? If you do not have a 3000 series processor already, go ahead and upgrade, you will not regret it. I have a 3600 and 3700x, both were a significant upgrade over the already fast 1600 and 1700. (I have a 2600 as well and they are significantly faster than that, as well.)

My 3600 has 4.3Ghz game clocks and can boost to 4.4Ghz in game .

That's not bad at all. My 3700X hits 4.3 while gaming but that's the highest I've seen. So that's same gaming performance as mine but at $100-120 less. I think the 3600 is possibly the best cpu on the market dollar for dollar.

Back