What CPU cooler do I go with?

Robert_J

Limp Gawd
Just finished my new build but I'm still trying to decide what heatsink to get.

Space is an issue..... I'm using the Thermaltake v9 mid tower case and I'm afraid whatever heatsink I get online may not fit....

I had every intention to get the prolimitech megahalem but I'm not so sure now.....

Im considering going down to frys electronics on friday and getting the coolermaster V8 because I think it may be the only heat sink that has a chance of fitting... I'm really excited about my i5 but am worried ill never be able to push it to the limit if i cant get a damn heatsink that'll fit

So if any of you are used to cramming heatsinks into smaller/mid-tower cases help me out please...

Last edited:
The CoolerMaster V8 is not a small HSF. It just barely fits in my ThermalTake Armor with the 240mm sidepanel fan. I would be reluctant to recommend it for your application. That being said it's a great HSF, I highly recommend it, if you have the space.

*Edit*

Height of the HSF is 161.1 millimeter or 6.4 inch

i've been using coolermaster hyper 212 up until I switched to water cooling and I gotta say, it's one of the most pleasant heatsink I've used.

The CoolerMaster V8 is not a small HSF. It just barely fits in my ThermalTake Armor with the 240mm sidepanel fan. I would be reluctant to recommend it for your application. That being said it's a great HSF, I highly recommend it, if you have the space.

*Edit*

Height of the HSF is 161.1 millimeter or 6.4 inch

You have the same setup I do then, unless you have the full tower. I have the Armor+ Mid tower and my V8 actually hits the 230mm fan when I put the side panel on, lol. But I can still get the panel to latch and it's not hitting the blades so it seems alright.

I'd do some measurements before you buy.

Might check out the ThermoLab Bada. Frostytech just recently reviewed it. They fit 1156 now.

You have the same setup I do then, unless you have the full tower. I have the Armor+ Mid tower and my V8 actually hits the 230mm fan when I put the side panel on, lol. But I can still get the panel to latch and it's not hitting the blades so it seems alright.

I'd do some measurements before you buy.

I have the full tower. It's touching my fan as well. I would estimate that the HSF or the fan is 1/8" too big. Atleast we know we're getting good contact pressure. :D

Back