What could I do to a 1GHz T-Bird?

vapb400

Gawd
I have a computer laying around with a 1GHz T-Bird in it, it uses SDRAM PC-133 ram, but if I were to put it in a different socket A motherboard that accepts DDR ram would it work?

I should work in any socketA board. I was running a duron 900 on a FIC AU13 nforce2 board a few weeks ago. no hiccups and for normal websurfing the diffecence was unnoticable.

I know overclockers.com is full of shit, but some people are claiming 1.9GHz, do you thing 1.4-1.5 is obtainable with good air cooling?

I managed 1.3 on my old T-bird 1G, on decent cooling, but my cooling was nothing compared to today's heatsinks..

vapb400 said:
I know overclockers.com is full of shit, but some people are claiming 1.9GHz, do you thing 1.4-1.5 is obtainable with good air cooling?

As far as I know those older thunderbirds are hot as hell, but you might be able to stretch that. The overclockers.com database is generally very good, but there are people who totally bullshit things. Check out some of the overclocks on air over there and with your stepping and maybe that will give you some insight.

I used to get 1.5ghz on my old thunderbird on air. AXIA stepping was it? I don't even know how I remember that.

Yea, a skt A tbird will work in any new skt A mobo. I had my old 1GHz Tbird 'B' in an nForce2 Ultra mobo until I could get an Athlon XP for it.

im getting a little rusty on the old tbirds, but i remember they changed something going from the 900mhz and less to the 1ghz+

if you have good cooling (lets say modern cooling of now), i wouldnt be surprised if you could hit 1.2-1.4, with 1.5 being about the max the later tbirds could do

but if you do use a new motherboard, a la nforce2, you could try unlocking the cpu (VERY VERY EASY. i loved it) and running into the high fsbs (200 is nice to try, and i think itll work)

just look on your cpu and yuoll see your l1 bridges. use a pencil and connect the bridges and youre golden

maybe try a 6.5 multipler and then 200fsb? thatll yield a nice 1.3ghz with a fat bus

then again, it would probably be smarter to try 133x10 or somethingl ike that just to make sure that it can go up that high first...

ziddey said:
im getting a little rusty on the old tbirds, but i remember they changed something going from the 900mhz and less to the 1ghz+

They went to a 133MHz FSB on some models ("C" stepping)...the "B" stepping was for 100MHz FSB.

diablo111 said:
ziddey said:

They went to a 133MHz FSB on some models ("C" stepping)...the "B" stepping was for 100MHz FSB.
nono

i know they did that too

i think they also went from aluminum conducts to copper ones

and thats why most of the 900's with aluminum werent able to make it past 1ghz and the 1ghz could scale easily for the most part to 1.2-1.5 with decent cooling

Back