What could fix my scenario?

jazzman161

Limp Gawd
Hey guys. New to the forums. Been lurking for over a year though, learning from you all. I've got a situation and I'm hoping somebody out there can help me with it. Two problems and I'm guessing a new soundcard will fix them both. First problem, my microphone volume is very low on programs such as TeamSpeak and Ventrilo. I've messed with every setting known and still nothing. I've swapped mics out, same problem. I've used those same mics on another system, they work perfectly! I'm using the onboard audio from my MSI 865PE Neo2 mobo. Second problem. I send out video and audio from my computer to my tv (audio goes into one of those all-in-one type audio systems) and when I raise the volume on the audio system, I get this buzzing/feedback noise which is rather annoying. I keep all the volume on my computer maxed before I mess with the volume on my audio system. So....those are my problems. I would assume a new sound card (Audigy2 ZS?) would give better drivers and power output for both my mic and feedback issues. What do you think? Thanks a lot for any suggestions you can think to solve my problem.

Well seems like you gave your problems alot of thoughts.. and IMO it sounds good to start over with a better card to save a possible shitload of headache. But ive got som questions to start with

what soundcard is it specificly?
does your mic work fine in the little recording app in windows?
do you use the analogue out, out of the soundcard to connect to the tv?

try lowering the volume from the soundcard and turn up on the tv instead, does it get better?

as for the mic, make sure you have the volume up to full, and the +20dB boost on.
As for the other problem, your best guess is mine ^_^.

~Good luck, and hope this helps

I send out video and audio from my computer to my tv (audio goes into one of those all-in-one type audio systems) and when I raise the volume on the audio system, I get this buzzing/feedback noise which is rather annoying.

Got a cable TV feed connected to the system?
If you do disconnect it and see if the noise goes away.

I think there's a Audio device u can get from Radio Shack that may fix the buzzing problem. I forget the name, it's been a while since I've worried about things like this. But something to do with the ground - being UN-common between the two devices. If you get lucky, they guy behind the counter may help - but may be as confused as I am. BTW no problem hooking my Audigy to my old DENON Receiver or ONKYO THX Digital Receiver w/ RCAs or COAX Digital.

Good Luck

Mister X said:
Roger that... it's called a ground loop isolator
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=270-054

If it's the cable TV feed that is causing the noise it's slightly cheaper to connect a 75ohm to 300ohm Matching Transformer back to back with a 300ohm to 75ohm Matching Transformer to isolate the offending "true ground" from the rest of the system

and, it would seem like to me, about 95% of the time it's the cable tv feed that causes the ground loop...

Hey guys. Thanks for all the replies. The onboard audio is an AC97 link controller integrated in Intel® 865PE Chipset 6-channel audio codec Realtek ALC655 according to MSI's website. The mic doesn't work regardless of the program used. Yes I use analog out (1/8 to rca). I'll try the lowering computer volume raising tv volume when I get a chance. Now about this cable/ground issue. Is there any way to "test" to see if the cable is causing the noise just by unplugging it like Mister X suggested? Also, I'm sure it's adding to the resistance/noise, the video and audio are going into an a/v modulator and that modulator connects to the tv. The modulator has 4 a/v inputs 1 a/v output and a cable input/output. Should I disconnect the cable from that modulator?

Back