What could cause 3dmark2006 to perform horrible but games perfect? 7950gx2

dborden

Limp Gawd
My system is in my signature. I am currently overclocked to 3.2ghz with a fsb of 400 and memory 1:1. I've recently updated my bios to F6 on my ds3 and was setting my OC back up and wanted to run a benchmark. It seems now that 3dmark2006 runs like absolutely garbage with studders and horrible FPS. I thought it was my 7950gx2 failing but other games run amazing. I can play BF2 and Oblivion both at max settings and HDR in obliv @ 1920x1200 on my dell 2407 and its beautiful and smooth as silk. What gives? Is my 3dmark2006 install corrupt or something. Should I uninstall it and reinstall it? Shouuld I reinstall my 91.47 nvidia drivers?

Anyone else run in to 3dmark2006 performing like crap but gaming just fine?

during OCing did you change any PCI-E bus speed settings? Plus if your games run fine, IMO, who cares about 3dMark, but thats me. Also have you tried going to back to stock speeds on the CPU to see if that takes care of the 3dmark issue? Also like you said I would maybe uninstall the program and also make sure you have the latest drivers from Nvidia.

Blauman said:
during OCing did you change any PCI-E bus speed settings? Plus if your games run fine, IMO, who cares about 3dMark, but thats me. Also have you tried going to back to stock speeds on the CPU to see if that takes care of the 3dmark issue? Also like you said I would maybe uninstall the program and also make sure you have the latest drivers from Nvidia.

I like having a benchmark tool that I can refer too when tweaking to see if there are improvements or problems. "Just playing a game" is hard to determine performance improvements or degredations.

PCIE freq has always been set to 105 manually since my system refuses to function at any other setting but that. I think most other 7950gx2 users are using a pciefreq of 105 as well.

I have gone back to stock speeds and 3dmark is also performing badly there but not as badly.

I am planning on reinstalling 3dmark tonight and possibly REinstalling the new nvidia 91.47 drivers in case something got corrupt there.

Mainly I just wanted to see if anyone else has seen such conflicting performance between 3dmark2006 and actual games.

Since 3DMark is synthetic many other things can be going wrong with it. Try completely uninstalling it (registry and all) then reinstalling it. That should solve your problems.

djBon2112 said:
Since 3DMark is synthetic many other things can be going wrong with it. Try completely uninstalling it (registry and all) then reinstalling it. That should solve your problems.

I completely uninstalled 3dmark2006 as well as my video drivers using a nvidia driver cleaning utility and manually removed 3dmark registry entries. Still, 3dmark 2006 is behaving all kinds of weirdness, studdering, choppyness, random moments of higher fps and smoothness. However if I actually go in and play BF2 I experience none of the studdering and choppiness.. Same with Oblivion.. I just don't understand this.

there seems to be some problems with the 7950 sometimes it doesnt want to run 2 gpus. I still cant figure it out either. I thought I had it fix but randomly when I run Aquamark or 3dmark it does it again.

Back