What Corsair PSU should I get?

Fayt19

Limp Gawd
I just bought the NZXT Switch 810 for $141 shipped and am also buying a PSU. I don't know what one to buy though.

My current specs don't matter as I will be upgrading on the future but I want a PSU that's semi future proof.

I will probably never SLI but it's good to have that option
2600K and will OC it
Probably won't OC w/e GPU I get
I will most likely put an open loop watercooling system in the computer
Won't have more than 2 HDDs 1 being a SSD
Maybe 2 Optical drives

Basically I want a good PSU and won't have to worry about messing with it for a long time.

Corsair has a 15% discount on their PSUs right now.

Corsair Enthusaist 750W non-Modular for $93 shipped
Corsair Professional 650W Modular for $93 Shipped
Corsair Professional 750W Modular for $124 shipped

Here's where my questions come in:

Is 650w going to be enough? If not then I can't get the modular 650w.

Is it worth going modular or do you think the NZXT is enough to hide all the extra cables from the 750w non modular.

Or if Modular is very nice and 650W isn't going to be enough then I could get the 750w corsair thats $124 after discount. The other 2 like I said above are $93 after discount. They are all free shipping. I don't really have a budget but saving money is always nice. Is the 750w modular PSU worth the extra $30?

Yes, 650w will be plenty. I'd highly recommend the AX series.

AX Series is fully modular right? Those are very expensive. Thats another $20 ontop of the 750W professional. So the 650W will be enough? What what I have to have for a 750W to be needed?

No, go with the HX750, the modular on. Regardless of how much room you have to hide the cables, the build goes much better if you don't have to deal with more cables than you need to.

You don't really seem to have a definate plan, but you sound ambitious, so you have to build some future proofing into the equation.

You are correct, I don't know what the future has in store for my computer. That's why I am buying the foundation now (Case and PSU) so it's less to worry about when I get the money for a new computer.

So is the Corsair AX 750W full modular worth the extra $20 from the Corsair Professional 750W? Ones silver 80+ and the other is Gold 80+ whatever that means.

Last edited:
The AX650 isn't $20 more just because its fully modular. It's a superior power supply internally and is 80 Plus Gold.

HX750 is 80 Plus Silver, built by CWT as opposed to Seasonic (Seasonic just being better build quality in general) and is only semi-modular (there are still a number of fixed cables).

The HX750 is Silver 80+ while the other is Bronze. The Gold 80+is the AX line. Yes, it's worth the extra 20 bucks.

Never skimp on a PSU... it will come back to haunt you in one form or another

Ok then I guess it's settled, I'll get the Corsair AX 750W.

I was messing around on some PSU Calculators and even with only 1 GPU they said I would use over 650W...and with 2 GPUs it would use like 900...

Are these calculators accurate?

I put I would use the 2600k and overclock it
1 GPU which I put a Nvidia 690
2 DVD burners
1 SSD
1 HDD
4 sticks of DDR3
And 6 case fans

Get an Enermax, Thermaltake or Antec. Corsair has enough of the PSU market already. Do another company a favor.

Is this trolling or should I really consider one of these over the Corsair PSUs above?

Antec, Enermax, and Thermaltake do make good PSUs. However, like most PSU companies (including Corsair), not all of their PSUs are good buys. But a good number of their PSUs are of really good quality. Hell some of them are better than some Corsairs.

With that said, that Corsair PSU you chose is an excellent choice. You'll be hard pressed to find a better deal from Antec, Enermax, or Thermaltake.

I'm not sure what kind of pricing you're getting on these with that 15% off, but remember to check out Amazon before you purchase: [Unless someone has some reason not to...]

Amazon Prices:

AX850 = $161.49 shipped (for me) -- I'd want this, but if you don't think you'll ever need the extra capacity, then:
AX750 = $144.49 shipped

Seasonic Platinum 860w = $169.99 shipped -- I might actually get that if the efficiency really is "platinum" - I believe anandtech has a february review of it, but JonnyGuru is...the guru...he'd know

Edit: Seasonic Platinum 1000w = $186.99 shipped = overkill, I know, but I'm impressed by the pricing.

I'm going modular next time, but it's so difficult to justify upgrading when my old PCP&C 750w silencer has been serving me just fine since...it was released... and I got this thing for less than $70 somehow...

Ok so just before I buy the said PSU, is 750W going to be enough? What would I have to do to make the 750W not enough?

Edit: yeah it looks like the prices you are gettin from amazon are the same prices you get on Newegg with the 15% promo code. I would love to get the 850W but I don't know of I would ever need all that Watts. Like I said I'm 90% sure I'm probably never going to SLI/Crossfire. I could buy the 850W but $160 is my budget and I kind of want to squeeze a Hyper EVO into that as well.

Last edited:
750W is more than enough. In fact, you will be fine with a solid 550W to 650W PSU since you're not planning on Crossfire or SLI. You would need to have triple GTX 670/680 SLI in order for 750W to not be enough.

Good move. You're going to love the AX PSU and the peace of mind it provides, being such a well built solid unit.

Never Mind - They are both Fully Modular.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Isn't the 850AX fully modular and the 750 not?

I hate non fully modular, specially the 24pin cable.

$15 would be worth it for me.

Is this trolling or should I really consider one of these over the Corsair PSUs above?

Antec, Enermax, and Thermaltake do make good PSUs. However, like most PSU companies (including Corsair), not all of their PSUs are good buys. But a good number of their PSUs are of really good quality. Hell some of them are better than some Corsairs.

With that said, that Corsair PSU you chose is an excellent choice. You'll be hard pressed to find a better deal from Antec, Enermax, or Thermaltake.

Basically this.

I'm not trolling, i would just be very very sad to see other competition going out of business leading to stagnation in the market.

Just look what happened to BFG when bestbuy stopped selling their PSU's. The whole company crashed. And they were great PSUs, and BFG had an amazing warranty.

Basically this.

I'm not trolling, i would just be very very sad to see other competition going out of business leading to stagnation in the market.

Just look what happened to BFG when bestbuy stopped selling their PSU's. The whole company crashed. And they were great PSUs, and BFG had an amazing warranty.

Eh, a FEW BFG supplies were great. Alot of them were crap. BFG went out because Nvidia screwed them. You can sometimes still find BFG PSUs on Best Buy shelves today. I got a nice discount on my 460 when BFG went out and PNY gave out discounts to honor BFGs warrantys.

Never Mind - They are both Fully Modular.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Isn't the 850AX fully modular and the 750 not?

I hate non fully modular, specially the 24pin cable.

$15 would be worth it for me.

No what inwas really trying to decide was between the Corsair HX750 and the Corsair AX750. The HX750 is only Modular where as the AX750 is Fully Modular.

I guess my only Real problem is with the AX750 being $144 out of my $160 budget, I won't beable to squeeze in a Hyper 212 EVO. The HX750 costs $124 which allows for the Hyper to fit in. Is there really a big difference between Modular and full modular PSUs? From the looks of it, it looks like The cables that can't be removed from the Modular PSU are the standard MoBo and PCIE cables that you would be using either way right?

Either way, I don't think I'm going to try and OC the E6600 before I upgrade, so the Hyper 212 EVO isnt really that important. If the AX is truly that much better then the HX then I can hold off on the Hyper

Thanks for all the help, bought the Corsair AX750! Hopefully it was worth it and will last many years!

Back