What components have you killed while water cooling your PC?

aphasia

[H]ard|Gawd
couldn't find any threads dedicated to this topic, thought it might be interesting to find out the damage people have done to their PC's when water cooling.

luckily i've committed only one arse-hat move that's killed a component in the 9 years i've been cooling my PCs. that unlucky item was an ati x1950 when i didn't tighten one of the nozzles to my reservoir. there was a bit of a puddle on the backside of the card before it stopped 'worky'.

from that day on i stopped using zip ties to clamp tubing and used pliers to tighten (rather than hand tighten) all my fittings.

anyone else game to tell the world their shit skillz with water cooling?

I started WC a few years ago and through cleaning, upgrades and so on, I have not damaged anything yet. I hope it stays that way.:)

I started WC a few years ago and through cleaning, upgrades and so on, I have not damaged anything yet. I hope it stays that way.:)

ahh a virgin, poseidon is a fickle god. one day he'll look upon your PC and see you're just having too much fun and unleash some pain on your dear machine ;)

come on, don't tell me i'm the only arse-clown thats destroyed a part...

i have been running water cooling for 8 years now across 5 or 6 pc builds and have not had any leaks that caused component failures, worst thing that has happened to me is i overfilled my res a little and some water dripped on to the back of my cdrom and stained it

i use worm clamps and screw them until they start 'biting' into the tubing (you see the tubing getting pressed through the holes) im confident at that point that it will NEVER leak

i killed a video card. only b/c i fucked up a screw and it became stripped. Trying to get it at out at point is what did it in.

i killed a video card. only b/c i fucked up a screw and it became stripped. Trying to get it at out at point is what did it in.

got a screw extractor kit now? i have one in my kit of tools.. i've used it many times to fix messed up screws

Been watercooling for over a year, no dead parts as of yet.

Same water cooling setup with various blocks, 4 different systems, 2 differnet cases over the years, with nothing destroyed. Just a couple of nasty cuts.

had a waterblock for an 8800gtx start leaking on me but I caught it before it spread out on the card. other than that ive never killed any hardware due to watercooling.

leak testing is your friend.

Back in the day - 2000 - 2001 I was playing around with watercooling quite a bit.

I fried a couple K6-2 chips. The first one happened because one of the tubes popped out of the cooler I was using as a reseviour and the pump pumped all the water onto the floor.

The second one was when i was experimenting with direct die water cooling.. only I sealed the resistors with solicone, put the IHS back on, sealed all four sides, except for a little place to let water drip in till it was full. I then sealed the hole and let it dry. The system worked fine for a few weeks and then it started acting up and them wouldn't POST. I took it apart and took the IHS off and found that the coolant had gotten on the resistor packs and had corroded them.

The last CPU I killed while water cooling was a socket 462 Athlon XP. I tightented up the clamp on my home made water block too much and it snapped the CPU into 3 pieces.

Although I fail to see HOW I did this, two of my RAM slots became defective after installing my first water cooling system about 3 months ago. I am 99% sure not a drop of water touched any electrical component, but I guess it's possible I shorted something out somewhere along the line. All I know is that all 4 of my RAM slots were working before I started, and only 2 are working afterwards! Just a coincidence? Maybe.

I have since reconfigured my setup once since then, and I have to say I was more worried about draining it than I was filling it initially. I'm surprised I did not ruin anything. For my next build, I will definitely be including some type of draining nozzle so I don't have to pull a stunt like this again:

draining.JPG

Although I fail to see HOW I did this, two of my RAM slots became defective after installing my first water cooling system about 3 months ago. I am 99% sure not a drop of water touched any electrical component, but I guess it's possible I shorted something out somewhere along the line. All I know is that all 4 of my RAM slots were working before I started, and only 2 are working afterwards! Just a coincidence? Maybe.

I have since reconfigured my setup once since then, and I have to say I was more worried about draining it than I was filling it initially. I'm surprised I did not ruin anything. For my next build, I will definitely be including some type of draining nozzle so I don't have to pull a stunt like this again:

draining.JPG

Nice work with that cup and pot :D

yep feel you pain regarding a missing 'T' line for loop bleeding. all my past wc'ing loops have been missing this 'feature' i will rectifying this in a couple of months when i upgrade my loop.

Had a cheap pump leak on me around the 3month mark, took out my Antec 850 Quatro PSU...

Back