What Civ game is better for a newbie, IV or V?

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
They are both cheap on Steam and I haven't played one before.

I'd say V. It's a lot more simple and the mechanics are easier to master. I would suggest getting Gods and Kings though, it does turns it from an alright Civ game to a good one and it doesn't add that much in terms of complexity it fixes a lot of issues with the base game.

definitely V.. they simplified the heck out of civ V for the more casual players. a lot of the mods though bring it back more toward the civ IV/III style. also agree with getting gods and kings. made it a much better game but still gets old pretty quickly.

Civ V greatly improved the military aspect of the game, and really limited the game in most other ways.

Gods and Kings opens (and improves on) most of the religion aspects from IV, while working them into the Civ V style civics.

If you don't have the expectations for culture and other less violent means of playing the game that IV did so well, five is an excellent start, a better start I'd say. I'd still play IV because it's a more diverse game and gives more flexibility; but those expectations are developed over a decade of playing Civ. I think the biggest complaint I had with five (and I did absolutely enjoy five), was that you selected a strategy very early (sometimes at the civ selection screen), and the game directed you down that strategy the whole game whether you wanted it or now.

Civ 5 with DLC is better for noobs, Civ IV with expansions is better as a game.

Five.

That game was fun as shit on my triple 22" portrait mode Eyefinity rig.

I actually just finished an 8 hour game with a friend who just picked it up after never playing another Civ game. He did pretty damn good, considering.

5 for sure, they simplified things a bit and streamlined the experience. Plus it has been on-sale a lot lately. I love it.

My only word on this is I'm told more than mechanics CIV V is really quite different from the originals in every aspect. I never played any past CIV III though.

Today the Gods and Kings expansion are 85% off over at GMG, before a 30% off voucher; GMG30-DPLIM-DN831. Should bring the price down to ~$3.15.

And if you don't already have an account, you can earn us both an extra $2 in credit using a my referal link to sign up.

First off how the heck do you own a computer and never played Civ, you've been deprived :) j/k

Definitely V since you've never played any before.

I played 5 because i wanted a more casual game, it delivers.
It has nice music and graphics but the simplicity makes it get old quick. It didn't really feel strategic because you can jus amass a massive army and steamroll everyone.

Domination is the easiest victory. Try one of the other victory conditions. I think cultural might one if not the hardest one.

I just picked up the 2k Strategy Pack on amazon for $20.

IT includes Civ IV complete, Civ V + Gods & Kings, and the Stronghold Collection.

Seems like a good deal for $20. I think Civ V + Gods & Kings was like $12 on steam, so $8 for Civ 4 and Stronghold seem good (even if ill probably never play stronghold).

I think I'll start with Civ V being that I"ve never played a Civ game.

Back