What case for AMD Fusion GPU-less build?

Paperclip

n00b
I put some numbers on Asus' PSU calculator and it came out 350W :eek: Just using A8-3870K, no GPU, and "standard" components how could it be so high? How much do you think the minimum PSU wattage should be?

I also want to know what the ideal case for this is. It should be as small as possible.

I won't build this, it just piqued my interest since somebody mentioned it on my other thread :D I'm curious about how small it can go.

I put some numbers on Asus' PSU calculator and it came out 350W :eek: Just using A8-3870K, no GPU, and "standard" components how could it be so high? How much do you think the minimum PSU wattage should be?

I also want to know what the ideal case for this is. It should be as small as possible.

I won't build this, it just piqued my interest since somebody mentioned it on my other thread :D I'm curious about how small it can go.

id think their just playing it safe

Well not sure what other components you are wanting to throw in there, but 350W sounds a bit absurd. Many of those PSU calculators way overestimate what is needed.

The CPU you are looking at is a 100W TDP unit. I tend to guess that a motherboard with memory, etc. may take 20-30W (that may be on the high side). Case fans take 2-5W each depending on size, rpm, and whether they include an LED. I generally figure about 10W per hard drive though 2.5" laptop hard drives may be more like 2-3W. I just don't see why they are padding things by about 200W?

For a GPU-less system with that processor, I would probably figure on it taking around 150W when it was going all out. A quality 200W PSU would seem plenty adequate to me and leave some headroom so that the PSU shouldn't have to be running at its max capacity.

That said, an SG05 with a 300W PSU would be a reasonable choice and leave you all kinds of breathing room. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163149

Last edited:
Hmm using SG05 seems to be best idea for those who don't have any spare PSU lying around....

I guess it would cost around $470 to build with the latest components. Is that too expensive compared to a comparable gaming system with a discrete GPU?

Hi there

you haven mentioned wether you need an optical drive and wether you mind using a slim drive

You need a minimum of 150 watts psu and unless you intend to add a discrete gpu later. Antec make some small itx cases with a 150 psu not sure if you will have enough space to put a desnt cooler.

regards

Joe Rubido

Any optical drive would be fine.

Are the Antec cases intended for HTPC (wide and shallow shape)?

BTW I'm starting to think that this may not worth the hassle because it seems that in the low-mid end spectum, laptops offer the same performance for the same money and more importantly, much smaller.... They aren't upgradeable for sure though.

Your last response kind of begs the question of whether this is intended for a HTPC or an inexpensive gaming PC?

The Antec cases the previous poster mentions aren't really what I would call HTPC cases (though I supposed they could be used that way) but simply small form factor. They are smaller than the SG05 because they don't leave room for a full size graphics card (they can fit a half-height card though). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129080 If I was building a llano rig with one of their 65W TDP processors, I would probably lean towards one of these cases. It's just seems too marginal to me to run one of the 100W TDP processors in such a case, both from the power standpoint and from an air circulation standpoint.

Another alternative that fits between the Antec models and the Silverstone SG05 is one by Thermaltake that has a 200W PSU. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133093 I would have questions about the adequacy of the ventilation (is it enough to cool a 100W TDP CPU?) but it would seem ok otherwise.

Generally laptops aren't going to have the same performance per dollar as a desktop system (and tend to have weaker graphics for gaming) but they do take less room.

Those are interesting cases, Cat, thanks for showing me!

Actually this build is intended mainly for gaming, not that I'm gonna build it but I'm just curious how small and inexpensive it could get.

Back