What Card Should I Get To Game in 1920x1080?

CousinVin

Limp Gawd
Right now all I am running is the integrated 3300 on my motherboard. Its ok for half life and games like that, But I want something that I can play things like Lost Planet, COD4, Crysis, etc on High setting in 1920x1080. I'm on a tight budget as of right now since I'm saving for a car, but I just need some suggestions on what direction to go. I've always been a fan of AMD and ATI, but by all means, I am not against NVidia. I am just looking for the cheapest, best card for around $200-$275. I have been oogling at the 4850 x2 2gb version for a while now, but seeing as I don't have the cash right now for it, I figure I can get some feedback from others while I save. What cards have you guys had luck with for gaming on 1920x1080?

Thanks guys.

The three cards that would be find for playing games at that resolution would be a ATI 4870, 4850x2 1gb, or GTX260.
If you can find a good deal (FS/FT forums) on a GTX280, I saw one go for $200 last week, it's an even bigger step up.
Good luck! :)

I'm using a GTX260 55nM.
Perfect card for 1080p.
Said with gritted teeth cos NVidia need a kick up the arse for their recent antics.

as usual the OP didnt list the rest of his specs and nobody has even asked what they are.

OP if you are not going to have a sig then please always list all your specs when asking for hardware advice.

haha sorry about that. My setup is:

ASUS M3A78-T mobo
AMD Phenom II X4 940
4gb (2x2gb) OCZ HPC 1066 ram
Corsair TX750W PSU
ASUS VH242 23.6" 1080p LCD Display

I like JUST built it, so it should be able to run with about any card on the market right now.

Hi, if you do get a gtx260, make sure to get the FTW version as it is hand picked and overclocked from the factory...it will have better performance for more immersion in games. Also helps to future proof. :).

Yeah, you can pretty much buy the most overclocked, air-cooled, GTX260 and spend less than your budget. You'll be more than happy. I really like the XFX Black Edition and last I checked it came with COD5 and FarCry2.

haha sorry about that. My setup is:

ASUS M3A78-T mobo
AMD Phenom II X4 940
4gb (2x2gb) OCZ HPC 1066 ram
Corsair TX70W PSU
ASUS VH242 23.6" 1080p LCD Display

I like JUST built it, so it should be able to run with about any card on the market right now.
yeah thats a nice setup there. based on your price range a 4870 or gtx260 will be good. I have the older 192sp gtx260 and the only games I cant max at 1920x1080 are Crysis very high DX10 and Clear Sky enhanced DX10.

XFX HD 4870 1GB version...........fine card,XFX has great service and double lifetime guarantee.

BFG GTX 260 OCE
EVGA GTX 260 SC........both are excellent cards. Both have great service. Both have trade-up programs. BFGs trade-up is painless,and offers many more choices and is fast.

For a few more bucks, consider the GTX 280......will cost about 300 dollars.

I am liking the gtx 260... hmm.. How do you think that would perform against the 4850 x2 2gb? I do like the fact that the 260 is a single core only because not all games like SLI or xFire.

Read this:

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3517&p=8

It is a recent review on all the cards. It even includes price/performance charts (260 core 216 based off $225, 4850x2 2gb based off $295). I'm trying to decide between them and the 4870 1gb.

pretty good benchmarks. The only thing I have against the 4870 1gb is that the 4850x2 is only a little more and from the benchmarks I've seen elswhere, its well worth it.

Yea, the 260 at the moment is the better deal compared to the 4870 1gb. Only reason I include it is that the board I will EVENTUALLY buy, the x58-ud3r, is currently unauthorized for SLI. Still, I'm thinkin the 4850x2 2gb is the best deal overall, especially since the drivers are a bit more mainstream now.

pretty good benchmarks. The only thing I have against the 4870 1gb is that the 4850x2 is only a little more and from the benchmarks I've seen elswhere, its well worth it.
well there will be times especially when new games come out that 4850x2 will act like one card because its dependent on ATI getting profiles. the 4850x2 is also loud and IMO not worth the hassle. I would just get whatever 4870 1gb or gtx260 you can get the best deal on.

4850x2 2gb card, faster than the gtx285, gtx260, 4870 1gb card by a large margin. All the new games scale too.

4850x2 2gb card, faster than the gtx285, gtx260, 4870 1gb card by a large margin. All the new games scale too.
yeah and it sometimes takes a while for ATI to get profiles out for a game. as long as he doesnt buy new games within a couple weeks of release then he shouldnt have too many issues.

I have a GTX 280 and it works really well for the games i'm currently playing( Dawn of War II, L4D, CoD 5). If you could get one for really good price i'd go for it. But if you really want high performance just go for 4850x2, it's the best bang for buck of the big boys. From what I've read it's far faster than my card.

Right now all I am running is the integrated 3300 on my motherboard. Its ok for half life and games like that, But I want something that I can play things like Lost Planet, COD4, Crysis, etc on High setting in 1920x1080. I'm on a tight budget as of right now since I'm saving for a car, but I just need some suggestions on what direction to go. I've always been a fan of AMD and ATI, but by all means, I am not against NVidia. I am just looking for the cheapest, best card for around $200-$275. I have been oogling at the 4850 x2 2gb version for a while now, but seeing as I don't have the cash right now for it, I figure I can get some feedback from others while I save. What cards have you guys had luck with for gaming on 1920x1080?

Thanks guys.

I would like to say I own this 4870 1GB here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161269

It's really a fine VC for the money ($179.99 AR w/ Free Shipping) HIS carries a 2-year warranty. It does any have a 2-pin cable for the fan (i.e. fan runs @ full blast) but in my case, it's not loud @ all & runs very cool (low 40's @ idle mid-high 50's under load) BTW...Worldwide Rebates are top-notch. I mailed-in all my info. & received an e-mail within 6 days telling me my rebate was approved.

Just a thought.

Good Luck!

copied from the hot deals forum http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1397899

Newegg is at it again... 10% off

Coupon code: MMCHVGA

Sapphire 4850x2 1GB for $212, $202 AR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc..._-NA-_-NA-_-NA
Even if the MIR doesn't go through, it's only $10.

Sapphire 4870 512Mb $153 after coupon, No MIR

Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 2GB - $383 after coupon, No MIR

EVGA GTX 285 1GB for $315 after coupon, $295 AR

EVGA Geforce GTX 260 Superclocked 896MB Video Card $169 AR($20) and coupon
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130372&Tpk=N82E16814130372&nm_mc= AFC-Hotdealsclub&cm_mmc=AFC-Hotdealsclub-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA

EVGA Geforce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB Video Card $177 AR($30) and coupon

Also the have the Sapphire 4850x2 2gb is $247.50 shipped, bang for the buck this is unbeatable.

well... thats great... they just rasied the 4850x2 2gb to like $300 something. Looks like its going to be a 260 core 216 or something...

If you guys have never owned the 4850x2 i would not be so quick to recommend it.... I owned one for a week and couldn't get past the driver instability, I didn't want to reinstall vista 5x just to get the drivers to take, but i've also heard some of the issues have been resolved so it's hit and miss.

I'd recommend a gt212 in april at the earliest it'll eat the 4850x2 and the 4870x2 for that matter on a single gpu card.

I'd recommend a gt212 in april at the earliest it'll eat the 4850x2 and the 4870x2 for that matter on a single gpu card.

And you have the proof for that in the link that you post shortly? Don't get me wrong, if you have proof and benches of this card that no one else has seen yet except you, then great....otherwise you're just talking out of your ass.

If you guys have never owned the 4850x2 i would not be so quick to recommend it.... I owned one for a week and couldn't get past the driver instability, I didn't want to reinstall vista 5x just to get the drivers to take, but i've also heard some of the issues have been resolved so it's hit and miss.

most everyone else loves it and has give it rave reviews. I can tell you from experience (not with the 4850X2) that ATI drivers and Nvidia driver all have their share of issues. Really from everything I have seen I would get one now if I were buying.

Amazon hasn't posted up a new rebate on the 4850x2 for this month (as far as I can tell) so be careful and wait for the 245 price again.

Amazon hasn't posted up a new rebate on the 4850x2 for this month (as far as I can tell) so be careful and wait for the 245 price again.

if its anything like the other rebates, it should be posted by the 3rd. I'll wait until then, but if its not up by like.. the 5th or 6th, I'll probably still grab it from amazon.

I just hope by then they won't update the price to the $334 that everywhere else is charging now.

Hi, if you do get a gtx260, make sure to get the FTW version as it is hand picked and overclocked from the factory...it will have better performance for more immersion in games. Also helps to future proof. :).

Ummm... no. The XFX GTX 260 Black Edition has the highest clocks out of the factory, not to mention the person you sell it to will have a lifetime warranty as well. They were $279 with a $30 MIR when I ordered mine. :cool:

My sapphire toxic OC 4870 1gb card RAPES left 4 dead with everything maxed out high as possible and all the card settings maxed out, but I'm playing at 1900x1200 on a 26" monitor. During explosions and huge gunfights nothing even starts to slow down. Smooth as silk with 200 zombies on fire running at you. Get this card. It is THE BOMB. and runs super cool too! Absolutely zero problems with everything possible going on in the game. So freakin smooth I never knew games could play like this.

I'm considering buying one of this cards. The XTX 260 Black Edition or the Saphire 4870 Toxic. From what I can tell they're equaly priced,
in some cases the GTX260 Black Edition but it really depends on the games. You guys confirm this right?

I'm leaning more towards the XTX Black Edition due to CUDA support, but my top priority is perfomance in current and soon to be released games.
Something that can handle DX10 with little problem.

But with the expected price changes from NVIDIA I don't know if I should wait a bit longer or not.
What would you guys recommend? Go buy one of this cards soon or wait for next month?

I'd recommend the 1gb toxic. I upgraded from a plain jane no video card 3.0 p4 on a 17 inch screen, and I just about cryed when I played my first game on the 26 lol. I maxed everything possible out, and it plays so dang smooth. No hangups at all. It overclocks easy too. I'm running mine at stock tho, because it has zero problems with anything at all. It rapes them.

my 4870 1GB has no trouble playing crysis/warhead @ 1920x1080 with all gamer settings which is High in crytek speak... i honestly dont know why they coudlnt just use the normal minimum/medium/high/very high words i guess its not L33T enough for crytek to use those.

my 4870 1GB has no trouble playing crysis/warhead @ 1920x1080 with all gamer settings which is High in crytek speak... i honestly dont know why they coudlnt just use the normal minimum/medium/high/very high words i guess its not L33T enough for crytek to use those.

Its Crytek. Do they need an excuse???

I think I'm just going to spring for the GTX 280 since I'm finding them cheaper and cheaper every day. It holds up to, if not is better than the 4850 x2 2gb, and for enough less to make me want to go that direction instead.

Back