What can we expect for the next Google Nexus phone ?

They look almost identical on the front with the exception of the speaker bar. The side and back, not so much. I think he's referring more to the form factor and dimensions though. In that aspect, there was definitely a more dramatic difference between the Nexus S and Gnex than there is between the Gnex and LG Nexus.

Looking at those pics with them side by side though, I like the Gnex's design much more than the LG, esp. on the back of the phone. The camera/flash on the LG looks like an afterthought and out of place. From the side, the Gnex looks thinner and sleeker too due to the more rounded sides and slightly concave shape. Oh, and I hate that the headphone jack is on the top of the phone on the LG. That's a retarded design choice and they should know better than to do that.

it's a rectangle with rounded corners and 2 rounded edges
of course it's going to look like that

it's a rectangle with rounded corners and 2 rounded edges
of course it's going to look like that

It's more complicated than that, but it's clear that Google drives the design of the Nexus line.

When I created my 3D mock-up, it required 10 different arcs (5 top, 5 bottom) to create the shape used --- and the center points of all those arcs adds up into a giant X.

*shrug* I'll just pick up a GNexus for a couple hundred, and be perfectly happy with it. I don't see any reason to buy in, this round.

LG Nexus 4 User Guide Posted, Confirms 8GB and 16GB Models. :(

If Verizon gets it again, hopefully theirs is a 32 GB version like the Gnex was. Otherwise, I'm skipping this one and might just get a Note 2 or something this Christmas if I can get one used for < $500.

A) Really old news
B) It won't be. The Verizon Gnex 32gb didn't sell enough --- that's why they're liquidating it. That is also why the international 32 was canceled.

A) Really old news
B) It won't be. The Verizon Gnex 32gb didn't sell enough --- that's why they're liquidating it. That is also why the international 32 was canceled.

A) I didn't see it posted on the last page until just now. Also 2 days old != really old news.
B) It didn't sell enough because they hardly advertised it over the Droid line and they're liquidating it because it's almost a year old (GSM Gnex is anyways) and about to be replaced with the LG Nexus. I'm sure the Razr and Rezound will be EOL'd pretty shortly too.

I like how you state your opinion as fact though. Do you have any links that prove that's why they canceled the international 32 GB Gnex? Do you have any links that say that Verizon won't get the next Nexus? Personally, I would be surprised if they get the next Nexus too, but I never thought that they would get the Gnex either. But until a statement or at least some leaks are made saying it will or will not come to Verizon, try not to sound so resolute about it. Unless of course you have some (credible) links you'd like to share to back you up.

Agreeing with T4 here. Verizon tends to EOL successful phones after a year, faster if they're not successful. It's been just shy of a year, so it's time. Seems like a successful phone to me if it lasted an entire year.

As for why they didn't launch or canceled a 32GB Nexus, there's a lot of good reason for that, but it's all speculation. I could give many reasons that I believe led to their decision to not release a 32GB Galaxy Nexus, but the bottom line is that "poor sales on Verizon" was not the cause.

*shrug* I'll just pick up a GNexus for a couple hundred, and be perfectly happy with it. I don't see any reason to buy in, this round.

There was no reason to justify getting an Galaxy Nexus when it came out except for Google's guaranteed updates. It's hardware was mediocre at the time.

This new Nexus' hardware is cutting edge and will continue getting updates longer than the Galaxy Nexus would simply because of the fact that it's hardware is so much more powerful. Still no reason to get one?

There was no reason to justify getting an Galaxy Nexus when it came out except for Google's guaranteed updates. It's hardware was mediocre at the time.

Not true. There was no phone out at the time of the Nexus' release with a faster CPU. In terms of RAM, 1GB was the max at the time. Lastly, the GPU, the only thing that was "faster " in benchmarks was the Mali-400MP (not counting non-Android phones), and that was only in fill-rate. When actual geometric performance and real-world was taken into consideration, the SGX540 (significantly overclocked in that SOC) held it's own against Mali.

The hardware was not mediocre. The only disappointing part was that it was no faster than a 6-month old SGS2, and came out right before Tegra 3 and Snapdragon S4. Basically, it would have made more sense to ship it in the summer when it would have been considered top of the line for more than 1-2 months, or hold off release for 1-2 months with a new SOC. It also didn't help that rumors pegged it at being the first dual-core 1.5ghz A9 and it was "only" 1.2 ghz on release. Basically, it didn't meet or exceed rumored expectations.

Not true. There was no phone out at the time of the Nexus' release with a faster CPU. In terms of RAM, 1GB was the max at the time. Lastly, the GPU, the only thing that was "faster " in benchmarks was the Mali-400MP (not counting non-Android phones), and that was only in fill-rate. When actual geometric performance and real-world was taken into consideration, the SGX540 (significantly overclocked in that SOC) held it's own against Mali.

The hardware was not mediocre. The only disappointing part was that it was no faster than a 6-month old SGS2, and came out right before Tegra 3 and Snapdragon S4. Basically, it would have made more sense to ship it in the summer when it would have been considered top of the line for more than 1-2 months, or hold off release for 1-2 months with a new SOC. It also didn't help that rumors pegged it at being the first dual-core 1.5ghz A9 and it was "only" 1.2 ghz on release. Basically, it didn't meet or exceed rumored expectations.

You forgot the camera on the G-nex was pretty mediocre compared to the GS2 and iphone.

LG Nexus 4 outed on video by carrier in Sweden
http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-nexus-4-caught-video

For me now, it's all about the price this new Nexus 4 will be sold for ? If it's in the $400 range, I will buy it almost right away. But if it's the same prices as other brand new off contract phones, like the Galaxy S3 and Note II, those are going for $650 - $700, too rich for my blood.

This new Nexus' hardware is cutting edge and will continue getting updates longer than the Galaxy Nexus would simply because of the fact that it's hardware is so much more powerful. Still no reason to get one?

I wouldn't say cutting edge. JB runs smooth as silk on the GNexus currently, and there's no reason to think the next two OS iterations won't as well.

Some people had this delusion that galaxy nexus was a top end phone just because it was a nexus. It wasn't, and nexus just means good phone, not best phone. It is not a phone just for nerds, it is what Google thinks everyone's android should be. The screen, cameras, height, and no SD card slot were poor compared to the top end, from day 1. The reviews saying the screen was good were just wrong. Most reviewers dont look very hard

Anyway, back on topic. The new nexus is not a top end phone and neither were any of the others.

Some people had this delusion that galaxy nexus was a top end phone just because it was a nexus. It wasn't, and nexus just means good phone, not best phone. It is not a phone just for nerds, it is what Google thinks everyone's android should be. The screen, cameras, height, and no SD card slot were poor compared to the top end, from day 1. The reviews saying the screen was good were just wrong. Most reviewers dont look very hard

Anyway, back on topic. The new nexus is not a top end phone and neither were any of the others.

Lol.

S4 Pro and Adreno 320, 1280x768 4.7" screen. Sounds like shit to me :rolleyes:

This thing will rape the GS3 in everything, just check the Optimus G performance on anand(only preview for now), as that is running the same CPU/GPU.

Also, people tell me the GS3 has shitty whites, I haven't noticed it. I find this whole "screen quality" thing to be very subjective, with a few noticing everything and most noticing nothing.

Only the HTC Nexus-One was a top of the line spec wise Nexus release, the Nexus-S and Galaxy Nexus were just rehashed Galaxy S phones. But now that Samsung is not involved this new Nexus 4 does look to be another top of the line phone. I think it was Samsung holding back.

The spec's on the LG Nexus 4 are very much top of the line hardware for Fall 2012.

Only the HTC Nexus-One was a top of the line spec wise Nexus release, the Nexus-S and Galaxy Nexus were just rehashed Galaxy S phones. But now that Samsung is not involved this new Nexus 4 does look to be another top of the line phone. I think it was Samsung holding back.

The spec's on the LG Nexus 4 are very much top of the line hardware for Fall 2012.

It's more the fact that Nexi are built off of existing platforms. Samsung releases their platform in the first half of the year, so something built off of it is of course dated.

LG released their platform like a month ago, so of course this one appears to be a higher end device.

Lol.

S4 Pro and Adreno 320, 1280x768 4.7" screen. Sounds like shit to me :rolleyes:

This thing will rape the GS3 in everything, just check the Optimus G performance on anand(only preview for now), as that is running the same CPU/GPU.

Also, people tell me the GS3 has shitty whites, I haven't noticed it. I find this whole "screen quality" thing to be very subjective, with a few noticing everything and most noticing nothing.

He might have been referring to the Galaxy Nexus not this new one. He mentioned screen and reviews which point to the GNexus.

excellent prices, but piss poor storage....

I'm sure the phone is awesome, but I sadly won't be able to buy it without the ability to actually hold media to view on that beautiful screen...

I am disappoint...

I'll take one of each, please. The wife and I deserve new phones after a year of the Moto Triumph. That phone and Virgin Mobile can both piss off.

So back on topic to this thread title. "What can we expect for the next Google Nexus phone ?"

Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie is said to be next, but who really knows ? Could still be a different version of Jellybean 4.3 in the Spring ? Then there are the rumors of the LG Nexus 4 being Quad Core to handle the 5.0 update.

My question is, will 5.0 bring a whole new phone to launch it on ? An HTC Nexus-Five ? And will 5.0 be announced and released at Google I/O in Summer with a brand new phone ? Or will 5.0 be launched at the typical November time frame next year, with of course the annual new phone ?

So back on topic to this thread title. "What can we expect for the next Google Nexus phone ?"

Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie is said to be next, but who really knows ? Could still be a different version of Jellybean 4.3 in the Spring ? Then there are the rumors of the LG Nexus 4 being Quad Core to handle the 5.0 update.

My question is, will 5.0 bring a whole new phone to launch it on ? An HTC Nexus-Five ? And will 5.0 be announced and released at Google I/O in Summer with a brand new phone ? Or will 5.0 be launched at the typical November time frame next year, with of course the annual new phone ?

Does it really matter? Google just launched a new phone and you want to know when they would launch another?

Does it really matter? Google just launched a new phone and you want to know when they would launch another?

Isn't this thread about the next Nexus phone ? That would be the 5th generation Nexus due in 2013. The LG Nexus 4 is old news, already, this thread is not about old phones.

Back