What can I do with...

Grimmda

2[H]4U
I obtained a late 2010 Mac Pro with 64gb ram and dual AMD 5770 video cards. I’m updating the macOS on it as far as it’s letting me. What can I do with this beast!?

Apparently the highest it can go is Sierra. Guess those cards don’t support metal.

Last edited:
You can do quite a bit if you’re willing to spend money on upgrading the hardware. If you have a dual processor machine, it’s actually capable of keeping up with some pretty intensive tasks when maxed out.

If it’s a single processor machine, I’ll be honest, it doesn’t make as much sense to dump money into it, unless it’s just for fun.

But for reference, with power hacks you can install any GPU you want. You can upgrade the Xeons to dual 3.46Ghz hex core processors. You can stick in 128GB of RAM. You can install a pcie m2 SSD (must be ahci, meaning non-nvme, if being used for boot). You can install USB 3.1 via pcie. And upgrade the WiFi and Bluetooth to current standards which will allow for continuity and handoff.

With those upgrades in, you basically can do anything you want. Game. Code. Movie edit. Whatever.

The coolest thing I have seen with that is gutting it and modding the case for a really cool hackintosh.

The coolest thing I have seen with that is gutting it and modding the case for a really cool hackintosh.

That would be a total waste of the hardware, not to mention getting rid of one of having a real Mac's greatest assets: reliability.
Having a Hackintosh is great if you have time or want to fiddle with things, but unless you're working a "golden build" and are okay with certain things being in some level of not-working. And only taking updates when you know its been tested and doesn't break things.

If the internal hardware is garbage, then by all means, repurpose the case, otherwise I'd say that's a waste. You could sell it then in that case and at least get some money out of it.

This was the best and correct answer. I even wonder if he’s the YouTuber that made the video I saw and say the exact same thing.
You can do quite a bit if you’re willing to spend money on upgrading the hardware. If you have a dual processor machine, it’s actually capable of keeping up with some pretty intensive tasks when maxed out.

If it’s a single processor machine, I’ll be honest, it doesn’t make as much sense to dump money into it, unless it’s just for fun.

But for reference, with power hacks you can install any GPU you want. You can upgrade the Xeons to dual 3.46Ghz hex core processors. You can stick in 128GB of RAM. You can install a pcie m2 SSD (must be ahci, meaning non-nvme, if being used for boot). You can install USB 3.1 via pcie. And upgrade the WiFi and Bluetooth to current standards which will allow for continuity and handoff.

With those upgrades in, you basically can do anything you want. Game. Code. Movie edit. Whatever.

Back