What can i build for around $250

charger89

Limp Gawd
Im looking to build a low/mid end htpc to watch movies and browse the internet but im poor atm because of school.:eek: is it possible to build an htpc for around that much if so what should i get.

i already have a dvdrom & 4 sticks of pc2-4200 512mb dual channel 3-3-3-8 i just need the rest

ibigetlaughedatandgetcalledpoor

Low self-esteem eh? :D

Anyway man, we're gonna need more info before we can help you:
1) What exactly will you be watching or doing with this HTPC? Watching HD content? Blu-ray? DVDs? etc.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
3) Where do you live?
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
11) What TV do you have?

Low self-esteem eh? :D

Anyway man, we're gonna need more info before we can help you:
1) What exactly will you be watching or doing with this HTPC? Watching HD content? Blu-ray? DVDs? etc.
3) Where do you live?
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
11) What TV do you have?

1)ill be watching mkv/avi files
2)lets say max is 300 with tax and shipping :eek:
3) i live in San Diego :)
4/5) i need everything "i have 2gb of ram PQI24200 PC2-4200 3-3-3-8" i dont know if i should use that
8)asap
9)i just need something that can play movies nothing special :p
10)yes
11)32in 720

Thanks! :D

3) Where do you live?
11) What TV do you have?

Danny
Learn to count....haha

Danny
Learn to count....haha

LOL!, Just copied, pasted and removed a few questions from my stickied questions list from the General Hardware subforum :D

Anyway, OP, if you can, wait till Friday till you order the HTPC. There's a Fry's in San Diego IIRC, and there might be a deal or two on CPU/mobo combos, cases or PSUs. So definitely wait till Friday when we find out what deals there are at Fry's.

Though the HDD that nitrobass linked to is definitely a good buy so you can go ahead and buy that HDD ASAP since that's a sales price.

get a 780g mobo and a low end x2 cpu and some ddr2800 and overclock.it a case to budget, worked for me for under 200gbp, I had a hd lying round and an old dvdrom for loading os etc and connect to my main pc for the movies

get a 780g mobo and a low end x2 cpu and some ddr2800 and overclock.it a case to budget, worked for me for under 200gbp, I had a hd lying round and an old dvdrom for loading os etc and connect to my main pc for the movies

Theres no point in OC'in a HTPC box. even with the setup goodl mentioned its plenty of power for watching HD.

Popcorn hour and a HDD can be had for under $250 shipped.

That will play mkv and avi like he's asking. with minimal cost.

Back