What Browser do YOU use? IE? Opera? Firefox?

What browser do YOU use?

• Internet Explorer

Votes: 25 17.7%
  • Opera

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Mozilla

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Firefox

Votes: 93 66.0%
  • Netscape

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • A combo of 2 or more (site compatibility)

Votes: 18 12.8%
  • Other

Votes: 5 3.5%

• Total voters
starhawk said:
0_o i got the flying window rather than the flying penguin.

how can i do it in winxp?
Depends on the firewall. Which one are you using?

XOR != OR said:
No, but the hardforums do have a handy dandy ignore button. See ya.

See ya then, although to be honest I don't think it's that much of a big deal that I'm not keeping my version of Windows fully patched with all the lastest "critical" patches. I'm patched up to SP1 but have no incentive at the moment to get SP2 or anything else. The ignore button won't protect you from the spam anyway. :p

What could help with spam, however, would be by using the Mozilla suit or more preferably for me, a combination of Firefox and Thunderbird. Both options would be better than using Internet Explorer and Outlook Express/Outlook any day, as Mozilla/Firefox are FAR better browsers.

The Hockster said:
is there anyway to prove it at all?

Matching traffic
http://www.snort.org/

if someone has run a rootkit
and normally that means that first there was some sort of infection vector
from the crack described above to an infection through an automated exploit
(say a worm with a backdoor or a trojan either in something you ate or via an unpatched direct or indirect exploit) then once compromised and a real brain shows up on the scene, they will remove all traces of what has occured and cover their tracks
generally they look around for anything they can use like passwords or accounts, credit card numbers, check the various caches ect, throw on a keylogger to try to capture the same or identity information,. maybe access to a different network, swipe the email contacts to sell, and then if there isnt anything else to do, they will set you up as a shell for DOS or DDOS attacks, a spam bot, ect.

worth a read > The Antivirus Defense-in-Depth Guide
and
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=768776

A firewall is like the difference between concealment and cover in combat
you can hide but sit get shot,
you can easily be exploited through the ports that are open
(GDI JPEG exploit for example via http and port 80)
first thing most automated malware tools do these days is compromise the firewall and any AV Scanners
and unless your on top of all outbound and inbound traffic (with a seperate box),
they can hide it from you, even alot of the automated tools can

running an IDS (Intrusion Detection System) is excessive for the average user
but not patching the OS is asking to be someones butt monkey :p

What I recently downloaded was called "Mozilla Firefox RC1."

People seem to make distinctions though, like this poll, showing they are not one in the same. I'm guessing firefox is a Mozilla based specific spin-off version of sorts? Lucy..... splain please. :cool:

texuspete00 said:
What I recently downloaded was called "Mozilla Firefox RC1."

People seem to make distinctions though, like this poll, showing they are not one in the same. I'm guessing firefox is a Mozilla based specific spin-off version of sorts? Lucy..... splain please. :cool:

Mozilla Firefox is Firefox's full name, although most people call it Firefox for obvious reasons. Basically Mozilla is a suit of applications: it includes a web browser, email client, newsgroup client, IRC client and more. Firefox is just a web browser. They are both made by Mozilla so the web browser on both of them is very similar. :)

well, i took your advice , and i downloaded firefox and tested it out a bit. i'm dissapointed. not to flame you guys at all or anything, but firefox seems like just another version of IE. its faster, and it has tabbed browsing, which, by the way seemed tooooo simple. not to mention i found it difficult, if not totally impossible to change firefox at all.

meaning, i couldnt get rid of the tabs. i couldnt customize any of the task pane on the side, it didnt have integrated note takeing features, contacts, email, or any of the other stuff that i seem to enjoy with Opera. Opera has so many features in it, that it takes me a while just to get it the way i like it after a fresh install. and because i dont use any buttons at all, its awesome to configure everything to maximize efficiency.

i can understand why so many pple are going to firefox, as its pretty close to the IE function and structure. to the more adventurous, check out Opera, right click on every thing you see when you open the program. you can customize everything you see.
no plugins are needed. built in gestures and stuff, email, etc...

now because i dont wanna be an jackass, i'll download firefox again, and see if i can make the thing work perfectly.

The Firefox vs Opera debate tends to be very similar to Firefox vs original Mozilla Application Suite. Since both points just came up, I think it's appropriate to address.

Core thing: Many users *do not want* integrated email / IM / chat / Composer / whatever and the bloat that comes along with it. Herein is the underlying difference between Firefox and the MAS, and Opera is a lot like MAS.

At its core, FF is much more configurable than Opera *because* of the extension nature. It's leaner by default, and many Opera-specific features (like MDI-only mode) can be duplicated while other locked Opera features (fixed set of mouse gestures) can be completely customized.

On the other hand, Opera is a better all-in-one replacement than FF, and I won't deride anyone who uses it like I will people who wallow in sin and gluttonIE. I used (and paid for) Opera myself until Phoenix (the former name for Firefox) 0.2 came along.

Opera, I love it, tried Firefox and although It's also a great Browser I did'nt like chasing plugin's all the time.

WillowHawk said:
well, i took your advice , and i downloaded firefox and tested it out a bit. i'm dissapointed. not to flame you guys at all or anything, but firefox seems like just another version of IE. its faster, and it has tabbed browsing, which, by the way seemed tooooo simple. not to mention i found it difficult, if not totally impossible to change firefox at all.

meaning, i couldnt get rid of the tabs. i couldnt customize any of the task pane on the side, it didnt have integrated note takeing features, contacts, email, or any of the other stuff that i seem to enjoy with Opera. Opera has so many features in it, that it takes me a while just to get it the way i like it after a fresh install. and because i dont use any buttons at all, its awesome to configure everything to maximize efficiency.

i can understand why so many pple are going to firefox, as its pretty close to the IE function and structure. to the more adventurous, check out Opera, right click on every thing you see when you open the program. you can customize everything you see.
no plugins are needed. built in gestures and stuff, email, etc...

now because i dont wanna be an jackass, i'll download firefox again, and see if i can make the thing work perfectly.

There are extensions...many, many extensions. You seem to be missing that because they are the essence of what Firefox is about. Tabs can be tweaked any way you want, but that is only the beginning.

Start here.

Back