What brands are not utter crap these days?

Stick with PCchips motherboards and Trident video cards...at least you know your getting bent over without lube.

NOT true. MSI will honor the warranty after removing the heatsink. I RMA'd a 7950 a month ago where I had lapped the hsf. They didn't say a word, just sent me a new card.

This was my same exact experience with MSI as well. I had replaced the TIM on my 7950 a few months ago, only to have it blow a cap just last week. After sending the card back to MSI, I received exactly two bits of communication from them:

1. An automated email that they received the card
2. Another automated email a few days later that my new card was on the way

:cool:

I've had great luck with Gigabyte, MSI and Sapphire. I hear good things about PowerColor, too.

This was my same exact experience with MSI as well. I had replaced the TIM on my 7950 a few months ago, only to have it blow a cap just last week. After sending the card back to MSI, I received exactly two bits of communication from them:

1. An automated email that they received the card
2. Another automated email a few days later that my new card was on the way

:cool:

I had a similar issue. I had a 6970 blow a cap. I had replaced the TIM and they didn't care. They also sent me a 7970 Power Edition instead :D:D:D

<3 MSI

Cool, did not know that about MSI. My 7970 is MSI. At least I now have a third vendor to look at.

1. sapphire just because ive owned 4 of these 2 7950's and 2 7970's and my worst overclock was 1160 mhz without touching voltage they all would hit 1200+ mhz stable with voltage tweaking.They also ran cool and quiet.

2.The his ICE-Q was also great ive owned 2 of the 7950's also great overclockers 1150 mhz no voltage tweak my only problem with these is 1 had coil whine.

3. msi a distant 3rd could barley hit 1100 mhz and they ran hotter then the above 2.I was pretty dissapointed with these and sold them off pretty quick.

xfx 7970 i guess it was decent for a reference card but it was loud sounded like a vacuum cleaner.

In my opinion sapphire dual X is without question the best 7900 series card around and to me it really wasnt even close

I've bought two HIS cards in the last two months, 7850 and a 7950 (the former is for sale),
both of them have been fine and the ICEQ cooling bit blows hot air out of the case instead of swirling it around or wtf ever all these other non-reference cards appear to do. They are effectively silent in normal use, bios profile is not overly loud gaming, I ramp the 7950 up some, the 7850 was almost comically cool running and the 7950 seems to run about what everyone else gets at 1K/1575. My .02c
I like an underdog, same reason I run AMD stuff.

For the OP, you'd be better of looking up for reviews and roundups on a specific model, instead of relying on a brand name to guide your purchase.
Personally I consider XFX average to subpar. The double-d design gives poor cooling and the fans have a higher failure rate. One batch of Sapphire 7870 had a design bug which caused crashing. EVGA had to recall one batch of 670 soc but I would put those 2 brands above XFX.

No offense, but threads like this are kinda pointless. Now i could say i prefer Asus products but Asus makes both good products and bad products (quality wise). Corsair could make awesome cases but make mediocre fans. Look at OCZ. Years ago pretty much all their products were total CRAP. Then someone else took the helm and now they crank out decent components.Your best bet is to do your research before buying individual parts.
Getting off topic here but OCZ is still not a reputable company. Apart from their Vector ssd's and possibly the vertex4, I wouldn't trust their other products.

Back