What brand 1080?

Doc Doc

n00b
At this point in time, which is the safest 1080 brand to buy?

Gigabyte?

Need something in next 2 weeks.

thanks!

Last edited:
Evga first. if you don't like their offering then MSI, Asus, Gigabyte are all pretty equal

For years, I've been a fan of EVGA, but went with MSI for my 1080. I prefer the MSI cooler, especially after the recent VRM-related overheating problem.

I'd go with ASUS or EVGA. The ASUS Strix models have the best cooling, performance, and power delivery which is why they tend to be the most sought after of the Pascal generation cards.

I currently have the ASUS GTX 1080 STRIX OC model and prefer it to the EVGA GTX 1080 FTW model that I also had. Both were great but the thermals and overall performance of the STRIX were better.

You can't go wrong with either though.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
ASUS STRIX. Fantastic cooling, great build. Running 2 of these puppies pushing more frames than my monitor can handle.

Doesn't really matter. Peformance is close and they are pretty much the same thing in a different wrapper. Buy whatever looks good to you, has the best warranty and doesn't cost too much.

Zotac was offering a 5-year warranty when I bought my 1070 so that's what I went with. I also like the overkill cooler.

EVGA is the only remaining company with a decent level of customer service. Any other brand you purchase will not offer advanced RMA and you will be dead in the water for 1-2 months if you ever need to RMA.

The people shitting on EVGA overlook that fact. Technically Asus's strix is the 'best' but just hope to Christ that card never has any issues.

Evga has the best customer service period! call them 24/7 and someone will pick up.

They also have a trade up program. can't remember exactly what they call it and I believe they changed the length.

I used to wonder jokingly with all the positive feedback you see about EVGA, whether a lot of it was via third party anecdotes or if truly that many EVGA customers have actually had to experience their customer support and RMA services directly.

While not a 1080, I upgraded to an EVGA 10 series card and being in Australia and not being in a position to upgrade very often have been nervous about the heat issue.

A little early for 1080s I understand, but curious to know if any particular brands tend to have better resale value and if that's something worth considering?

You can't go wrong with any of the major brands out there. The only difference is the warranty period and cooler design.

If you have plenty of space, Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming has a great cooler. Good cooling performance and silent too. But it takes up 3 slots.

EVGA is the only remaining company with a decent level of customer service. Any other brand you purchase will not offer advanced RMA and you will be dead in the water for 1-2 months if you ever need to RMA.

The people shitting on EVGA overlook that fact. Technically Asus's strix is the 'best' but just hope to Christ that card never has any issues.

I've never had issues with ASUS customer support and dealt with them a few different times over the years. EVGA is a smoother process though.

Back