What bag are you carrying around your gear in?

dvsman

2[H]4U
Hey guys,

So I'm in the market for a new bag to carry my laptop / papers around in and wanted to see what the [H] is using. The two laptops I normally use would be either an XPS 13 or occassionally my older Macbook Air, so both are pretty small form-factors.

Right now if I'm carrying a camera around I use a camera bag (Peak Design Everyday Messenger) - and just throw the laptop into the back pocket - but I'm wanting a dedicated bag for just the computer. Thoughts?

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I've been looking around the web and there's definitely a lot to choose from. Too much of a selection to be sure - that it's hard to pick one.

I figured if someone here has already done a road-test on one that they like, that's a good way to filter out some of the garbage.

I'll definitely check out all the links.

I've been using this for a 2013 MacBook Pro Retina (15), a 2015 Lenovo Thinkpad P50, an now a 2017 Dell Latitude 7480.

I've always had good luck with Ogio's products. Been using them for 15 years now...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I use a simple Targus laptop bag I got at a thrift store for $5 'cause that's about what most of 'em are worth considering. :D

I use this Case Logic messenger bag, but I think it's no longer available,
https://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-X...001F7FMUA/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I bought it initially for my Dell Mini 9 netbook but now use it for my MacBook Pro 13", which doesn't quite fit, it's bit too wide so I can't zip the pocket closed.

caselogic-bag.jpg

For work I use one of the tac style backpack, I dont remember the exact company name though. Its fantastic... for work. Personal use I feel like its too big and bulky and get heavy when it starts to get full. Thankfully when I do need to have it with me, it stays (mostly) in the trunk of an suv so the weight isn't an issue.

So I tried a swissgear messenger, it was very meh. It had enough space for what I needed and I kept if for maybe two years but wasn't fully happy with it.

Then I got a used NorthFace weatherproof backpack, even had a spot for a camelbak. My brother rode a motorcycle to uni and used that NorthFace to carry his macbook around for about 2 years before giving it to me. Loved it but it started to rip and was also getting a bit to small for my needs.

So I got the Oakley Kitchen Sink (with a massive discount.) Amazing... had plenty of space for my needs, even has a hardshell compartment for sunglasses. I once dropped it in a pond (was in the water for a few seconds,) with my laptop inside, and nothing inside the bag got wet. Not one single drop of water. However after about a year I felt it was too big.

Currently using a UA Storm Contender. Its fairly new so Im still in the testing it out faze, but so far Im liking it. Used it for a road trip to NY to visit family, had plenty of space for my brothers 13" mbp + a 10" tablet + all the wires/accessories/adapters needed for a 7 day trip. UA says its weather resistant but I haven't really tested that out as my rain exposure now days is from house to car/car to work and back.

I’m not sure what your budget is, but have you checked out https://www.saddlebackleather.com/ ? I’ve got a few of their products (largest being this briefcase) and could not be happier. They have some smaller laptop sized briefcases or messenger bags that would last you the rest of your life.

just the one "god" gave me. want a pic?! ;)
I use a back pack for other things like laptops.

https://www.thinkgeek.com/product/aaa5/
bag of holding
Unfortunately the new version is not very well made the zippers are not smooth to operate the whole construction is poor at best they did a few upgrades over the initial version but the overall bag is a let down. The lining got an appearance upgrade the bottom and shoulder strap got upgraded but the size shrank vs my 1.0 version and my leather version which developed issues of its own. I still use it because I have yet to find a single bag that can hold as much as it can.

Last edited:
5.11 backpack. It has an excellent pocket in the back for a laptop as well as a soft IIIa ballistic insert lol. Seriously though, it’s a great backpack- lots of TSA agents have commmented on it, and they’ve seen and been through a crap ton of backpacks

Back