What AV DO you run?

Thunder888

Limp Gawd
It seems that the AV poll on this forum has sparked some lively debate on the pros and cons of running a resident AV in the background when gaming.

Further to that post, what AV's do YOU run (assuming that you do - no need to get excited if you don't :D )?

I've been running AVG free for some time now, but I see Avira and NOD32 are also popular choices. Which one would you recommend? Let's stick to the free ones...

Avira Free here. Works very well for me, it's good at picking up viruses, resident shield works very well, and it seems light on system resources. It's much better than AVG, IMO.

Has anyone ever had a look at which of the currently available free AV's use the least system resources? I'm considering moving from AVG to Avira, but it would be interesting to see which one offers the best bang for no buck :p

I use Avira. I used to use AVG, but after AVG8 came out it was just too buggy and bloated for me.

I don't need AV, I'm a professional smart guy and viruses can't catch me slippin.

psyche

Avira FTW

I've been running AVG free for some time now, but I see Avira and NOD32 are also popular choices. Which one would you recommend? Let's stick to the free ones...

I would recommend switching from AVG. It has failed to detect and prevent 2 viruses since I have used it, and in once case, the virus made a real mess of the computer it infected.

Avira detected and destroyed the virus practically as soon as it was installed. Not to mention the case where AVG falsely flagged a system file as a virus, just another reason not to use it.

Currently I am using both NOD32 and Avira on different machines. Both very good programs.

On a side note, I see a lot of people say they don't need virus killers because they don't go to dodgy places on the internet.. Bad move. In the case where the virus caused a real mess, the virus was transmitted through an infected USB drive. Virus killers are pretty damn important even if you have safe browsing habits!

EDIT: The nasty virus was a variant of the "Love Bug" virus. It creates an "autorun.inf" file on all drives, including flash drives. The active file for the virus is "mskernel32.vbs".

The virus hides all of your doc, xls, pdf files and replaces them with a dummy file with the text "Hack by debugger" in the files. It appears as though all of your documents have been over-written. It was a nightmare recovering all of the affected files and we still havent cleaned up all of the dummy files.

I wouldnt say theres really any cons on morden hardware, unless you're an IT professional or you've been around PCs and the internet for along time I highly recommend running anti virus software. I personally don't run any.

Of the free AV proggies

Avast is the most resource hog
AVG8 2nd
Avira is the lightest so far.

I just switched a few hours ago, I usually seen AVG8 had 60+ megs taken up not even scaning, just resident sheild idle. Avira looks to be taking up around 20-25 meg or less at idle and 52ish megs scanning (scanning currently)

Its easy to get rid of the popup also!

AVG Free for life....only thing is the auto update makes me manually do it every damn day....let me check that out now actually.

I wouldnt say theres really any cons on morden hardware, unless you're an IT professional or you've been around PCs and the internet for along time I highly recommend running anti virus software. I personally don't run any.

Any sane IT Professional would be running an AV:p. Nod32 here, AVG on the other 5 PC's in the house.

AVG Free for life....only thing is the auto update makes me manually do it every damn day....let me check that out now actually.

What OS are you running?

I had that happen under XP pro, I just uninstalled it and reinstalled it and that took care of it. On a windows 2000 machine it just won't update though.

I've ran AVG 6/7/8 seems to be progressively worse each version, its not even seen some trojans that computers are infected with. :(

What OS are you running?

I had that happen under XP pro, I just uninstalled it and reinstalled it and that took care of it. On a windows 2000 machine it just won't update though.

I've ran AVG 6/7/8 seems to be progressively worse each version, its not even seen some trojans that computers are infected with. :(

I'm running Vista x64.
Googled, found a BAT file to fix it.
http://www.skidvd.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7187
I'm supposing it works, but I guess we will see.

avast! on all my PC's but I'm always open to switching if avast! ever fails me. Used AVG in the past but got sick of their false positives which is why I'm on avast! now.

I don't need AV, I'm a professional smart guy and viruses can't catch me slippin.

psyche

Avira FTW

He-he. A bit of de ja vu here ;)

The "I'm [H]ard to the extreme and no virus can touch my manliness" approach. Lot of flaming over that in the poll. I did enjoy the guy that posted "fuck-it, I only have pron and games, so nothing to worry about", which I guess is true. Got all the IT guys excited. But as I always say, don't think outside the box, I only think OF the box... :D

I would recommend switching from AVG. It has failed to detect and prevent 2 viruses since I have used it, and in once case, the virus made a real mess of the computer it infected.

Avira detected and destroyed the virus practically as soon as it was installed. Not to mention the case where AVG falsely flagged a system file as a virus, just another reason not to use it.

Currently I am using both NOD32 and Avira on different machines. Both very good programs.

On a side note, I see a lot of people say they don't need virus killers because they don't go to dodgy places on the internet.. Bad move. In the case where the virus caused a real mess, the virus was transmitted through an infected USB drive. Virus killers are pretty damn important even if you have safe browsing habits!

EDIT: The nasty virus was a variant of the "Love Bug" virus. It creates an "autorun.inf" file on all drives, including flash drives. The active file for the virus is "mskernel32.vbs".

The virus hides all of your doc, xls, pdf files and replaces them with a dummy file with the text "Hack by debugger" in the files. It appears as though all of your documents have been over-written. It was a nightmare recovering all of the affected files and we still havent cleaned up all of the dummy files.

Thanks for your post - I'll check out Avira when I get home tonight.

Of the free AV proggies

Avast is the most resource hog
AVG8 2nd
Avira is the lightest so far.

I just switched a few hours ago, I usually seen AVG8 had 60+ megs taken up not even scaning, just resident sheild idle. Avira looks to be taking up around 20-25 meg or less at idle and 52ish megs scanning (scanning currently)

Its easy to get rid of the popup also!

Cheers for that mate! The new AVG has been targeted more towards the Vista crowd of late. My gaming rig is still on XP, so it sound like Avira might be just the thing.

Appreciate the feedback. Let me be the first to say that I DO go to dodgy websites (which ones are not "dodgy" these days, what with all the advertising etc.) and prolly need some "protection".... :D

Nod32 here.
I feel bad for those of you who dont run an av.. tick tock tick tock.. its only a matter of time.

I use AVG right now on my Vista desktop. I will probably use Avira later on because their website is coloured red. Red is like HEY VIRUS I WILL EAT YOU LIKE MY COOKIE. I like blue right now so I'm with AVG.

avast seems to work fine for me.

Avira looks interesting though. But really, i used to use AVG, but it stopped being effective. I asked on here and was pointed to Avast. Been working fine, but the AV game is always one of catch up. So i tend to change as the old software stops being effective.

so my last update, I've always used AVG8 (also 6/7 before that) up till yesterday, after running Avira, it picked up 9 virus/trojan/unwanted programs and 8 warnings that AVG8 has NEVER caught, these malware have been on my computer since around AVG7 was around, thats crazy, I'm sticking with Avira.

Also the memory footprint now with just avguard.exe is 6.1mb, and avgnt. is 1mb. Very light footprint when not scanning!

Nod32 here.
I feel bad for those of you who dont run an av.. tick tock tick tock.. its only a matter of time.

I didn't run any sort of AV for almost 2 years. I recently installed the free evaluation of the full NOD32 security suite, ran a full scan, and it found nothing but a handful of tracking cookies. I'll be removing it once the free evaluation runs out.

My AV is keeping idiots off my computer.

No AV on any systems at home. :cool: I don't even run an AV at work.

is it really worth purchasing the full versions of AV like avira though:confused:

Back