What are your top 5 FPS games of all time?

Thief I and II are the absolute best first-person games IMO, but you can't really call them shooters.

Doom
Half-Life
Battlefield 1942
Goldeneye 007
Unreal Tournament

In no order, and the SP ones only:

Serious Sam
Painkiller
Half-Life
Deus Ex
System Shock 2

irony: none of them are from the past decade, with the exception of Sam.

In no order, and the SP ones only:

Serious Sam
Painkiller
Half-Life
Deus Ex
System Shock 2

irony: none of them are from the past decade, with the exception of Sam.
Crap...how could I have forgotten Painkiller SP?

Unreal Tournament (99)
Quake 2 - 3
Call of Duty 1 (best SP WW2 campaign ever)
Counter-Strike
Golden Eye (Paintball mode ftw)

Duke Nukem 3d (when i played it the first time around 1995 or 1996 it seemed really great; though I suspect today I would not find it that interesting).
Half Life (loved it when I played aruond 1998 or 1999; I replayed it around 2005 and found it ok but not quite as special as that first time)
Unreal - wonderful graphics with my 3dfx and a really fun game - though today I hate the unreal engine (not enough environment interaction compared to newer engines)
Far Cry (ruined every FPS since; just like the combination of large open maps; stealth; and environment interaction - I played quake4 afterwards and thought it was plain jane doe )
Enemy Terrioty - first FPS I loved playing multi-player
-
I liked system shock 2 but not sure I could call it an FPS :)

Last edited:
Deus Ex
Half-Life
Call of Duty 4
Quake 2
Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

Many people have listed "Goldeneye 007" is that a PC game?

The title just says "FPS" not "PC FPS", not sure it really matters in all honesty.

Yes but the forum says "PC Gaming" not "General Gaming"... just wasn't sure if folks were talking about the N64 game or not... no big deal

1. Dark Forces
2. NOLF
3. Counter-Strike
4. BF 1942
5. Shooting people in real life

Going by my estimated hours played:
1. Counterstrike
2. Tribes
3. Quake 3
4. UT '99
5. TF2

Battlefield Bad Company 2 - My romance. Audio was incredible, gameplay was simple and fun. 700 or so hours in this one. I'm finding every game afterwards to have disappointing audio, including BF3. This game was the main reason I upgraded from my e4400 + 8800gtx to what I have now.

Bioshock - Love the story and the mechanics. First game that I really felt like I was a part of. Did a very good job of weaving the story in with the game play.

Quake 2 - single player is still amazing. And long. Very long.

Quake 3 - I train on this to get better aim in different games. I'd say its a definite foundation game for all fps out there.

Yeah, I only have 4.

Thief
Quake 3
Quake 2 + mods (Action quake, Jailbreak, etc.)
Soldier of Fortune 2
UT (99 I think)

In no particular order:

Prey
Shadow Warrior
Duke Nukem 3D (yay boobies)
Half-Life 2
GLQuake

I need to get the move on with some of the titles listed. Riddick, NOLF, Doom3 are on the list high up. Finishing up Carmageddon 1/Splat pack and PSX RoadRash first :)

Tribes
UT 99
Counter-Strike
Half-Life
Half-Life 2

Not really in order, although Tribes would probably be my favorite.

Call of Duty (and United Offensive)
Half Life 2
Deus Ex
Unreal Tournament 2004
Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl

Pretty much in that order, though the top two swap places depending on nostalgia. Absolutely loved the single player for HL2, but then I spent MANY hours playing MP COD and COD:UO.

Stalker is a relatively new addition to my list, since I just got into it about three weeks ago. Absolutely hated the game when I first played it, but after forcing myself through the first 30 minutes, I now think it is one of the best FPS's EVAR!1!!!

I don't play a lot of shooters. These were the ones I really DID play and liked, in chronological order:

Wolfenstein 3D
Deus Ex
UT2k4
Battlefield 2
Borderlands

Last edited:
Hum. Well if people can list games like Thief then I think we should also consider Hexan !

Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Team Fortress Classic
Counter-Strike
Soldier of Fortune 2

Runners up include Unreal Tournament, Doom, Goldeneye 64, and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.

5 – Quake 2
4 – Counter Strike 1.6
3 – Painkiller
2 – Unreal 1
1 – Half-Life 1

Doom 2
Duke Nukem 3D (incl. other Build Engine games like Blood)
Half-Life Series (and mods, expansions, and CS & TF)
Deus Ex
STALKER series

In no particular order

UT'99 (clan match player)
Quake 3 Areana
Serious Sam 3 (I will list that instead of the second encounter since Croteam was able to bring the last level to life and then some!!)
Doom
and rounding my list up

Hexen

In no certain order...

Heretic II
Half-Life 2
Return to Castle Wolfenstein + the free expansion
UT2004 (esp with the excessive mod)
Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Academy (Esp the Multiplayer portion which you can still find plenty of servers)

Honorable mention goes Battlefield 1942

Descent one of if not the first game to have 360 degree motion
Termatinator Future Shick/Skynet 3d models and iy actually played well
Hexen
Quake
UT '99

According to gameplay hours (since I play none of these now):
1) TF2 (731 hrs)
2) CS:S (376 hrs)
3) BF2 (263 hrs)
4) DoD:S (155 hrs)
5) BF3 (120 hrs)

Honorable mentions (80-117 hrs): KF, Darkest Hour (RO mod), Red Orchestra (they just happened to be all TWI games haha)

Back