What are your favorite sad games?

piscian18

[H]F Junkie
I'm in a shitty mood just winter blues, working on ye'ol backlog and whiskey eggnogs.

What are some broody games you like? Not necessarily Kylo whiny bitch games(yeah spoiler its Wednesday get over it.)but just games that arent upbeat or even tongue in cheek, like silent hill or Last of Us for instance.

I think Ive settled on "Max Payne II" to knock out for the Holiday(never played it on release.) but what are some others you think fit that kind of solid noir feel? Doesn't have to be new or on PC obviously.

I haven't played many "sad" games, so the only one I can think of is the most recent: The Park.

While probably best called an interactive story, To the Moon is one of the downright saddest games I've ever played. I'd probably throw in Alan Wake here if you're looking for a more typical game experience, and no big coincidence it shares developers with Max Payne 2

I'd say The Last of Us, but looks like you've already played it.

Enslaved can be sad from what i remember. Was a great story/game and one I've been meaning to revisit.

Also, Metal Gear Solid (Sniper Wolf :().

For some very cool moodiness, try the Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

Ori and the Blind Forest is sad, in a sort of Disney-esque way, It can also be kind of a challenging platformer, which breaks up the mood a bit with frustration.

Life is Strange has some sadness to it.

Papo & Yo definitely has a certain kind of moodiness.

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons

The STALKER series, maybe.

Alan Wake

Spec Ops: The Line (dark in a military sort of way)

Dishonored (seriously good, and has some very dark moments, play this one)
Deus Ex HR
Wolfenstein: New Order
BS Infinite
HL2
GTA 4 (just kidding)
Going Home

Also agree Vanishing of Ethan Carter would fit the mood well.

Oh and Witcher 3. Some seriously great emotional moments in that one too.

Mafia. The way Tom's fate ends is pretty emotional.

Yeah! That last scene is totally WTF!? But you have to play through the whole game first..... which is fine. Good game, just dated. Better then the 2nd....

Sgt. Jackson's agonizing death after the nuke was detonated in COD4 was pretty powerful.

Gen. Shepherd's betrayal and murder of Ghost and Roach in MW2 hit hard, too.

The end of Dreamfall was a downer.

Dishonored (seriously good, and has some very dark moments, play this one)
Deus Ex HR
Wolfenstein: New Order
BS Infinite
HL2
GTA 4 (just kidding)
Going Home

Also agree Vanishing of Ethan Carter would fit the mood well.

Oh and Witcher 3. Some seriously great emotional moments in that one too.

Why is DXHR sad?
or BS infinite? What is sad is how overhyped it was. The whole story is vague, only for the final big twist to work. It's like an M Night Shymalan movie stuck into an on rails shooter.

The only truly sad games I played are:

Beyond: Two Souls
Last of Us

maybe Mass Effect 3 too, and not because of the ending :rolleyes:

LOL!!! Is it really that bad or maybe you are too good?

I'm not even that good compared to a lot of the ESEA players and why I play ESEA... because the majority of the Global Elites in MM are derpy, let alone anyone below that. I just can't take CSGO MM seriously anymore. Though ESEA has it's dumbo's, but to a much lesser extent.

The Last of Us
Telltales The Walking Dead
Life is Strange (its just a downward spiral after episode 1)
Bloodborne or Dark Souls games
This War of Mine
Spec Ops The Line

Most recently, in TW3 when Geralt finds a certain someone dead, nearly made me tear up.

Good scene.

Can't think of anything more depressing then the Metro 2033/last light games when it comes to atmosphere.

Has anyone mentioned Deus Ex HR? No spoilers but the game makes you feel pretty worthless and under appreciated toward the end, and the entire game has a sort of stoic, depressed tone.

You know the thread wasn't about "your favorite stupid games"

It's a quite involved game with a powerful story. Of course if you are an idiot you'd think it's stupid.

Last edited:
I don't know if it was more due to my age at the time, but Max Payne and Max Payne 2 were depressing as fuck for me.

It's a quite involved game with a powerful story. Of course if you are an idiot you'd think it's stupid.

The game looks lame, it might have a story, but I can't take it seriously. It's like Valiant heart's the Great War. That has a story too, but the game itself is a lame side scroller. It can't be mentioned on the same day as AAA games.

And quite frankly you asked for it. With your arrogant / thread remark. It's one thing to think a game is superior, but to declare all further discussion invalid is not a nice thing to do.

And then you keep digging yourself further into the ditch with the wonderful argument "If you don't like it you're an idiot".

I'm not the one who began with calling a person's opinion stupid and not even looking into what the game is.

Funny that you think good games need to be AAA to be considered worth playing these days. No wonder you love Fallout 4 so much; You're oblivious to a world of truly great games.

Lisa is far more complex then valiant hearts BTW. Of course this thread was about sad/depressing games so even if lisa /wasn't/ complex it'd still take the cake if you'd ever actually played it.

Last edited:
To The Moon.

Incidentally, this is also one of those games with pixel graphics and simple gameplay but it has great music and story.

Back