What are your altcoin picks from here on out?

blade52x

2[H]4U
With hopefully everyone learning a major lesson LTC, (that every coin not named Bitcoin can ever become complacent), I'm just curious as to where everyone will be placing their investments with in the altcoin market. I'm interested in alts, because they can outperform BTC anywhere from 2-10x in the long run. Of course, they can also underperform, but that is why I am creating this thread - to hopefully identify the coins that should outperform BTC in the long run if they continue their development. And because we are also now in the "accumulation phase" of the bubble cycles (which I expect to go on a few more months), now is the time to figure out how and where you'll be placing your investments, trying to set yourself up best for the next big run up.

For me, I hold the following right now

Currently holding
1) BC ($10m cap) - Black Halo (decentralized P2P exchange, smart contracts, etc), CoinKite and PoS 2.0
2) NXT ($60m cap) - Own protocol and asset exchange. Very poor distribution, though very feature rich to the point distribution may be ignored
3) XC ($5m cap) - Great anon development
4) XMR ($3m cap) - Another great anon development, and is using the recent "CryptoNote protocol", which has yet to really see its advantages.

Plan to buy
1) DRK - King of anon but clearly went through a big P&D cycle. Also just too broken still. Waiting for the accumulation phase.
2) VTC - Wild card imo. If scrypt-n proves to remain ASIC resistant, then when the weather cools down I could see people returning to scrypt based mining, with this one being the leader in that category.

Important Note
Of XC, XMR, and DRK - one of these three will drop out. There isn't enough room for 3 coins making anon their selling feature. So I'll have to watch development of these three closely. DRK just has been so broken lately that either of these two can make a run in the future.

Other than that, I don't know what other coins have really major developments (that are positive for crypto as a whole) going on for them. If anyone has any others that have something big going for them, please do post. But do notice how the youngest coin on my list is XC (about 2 months old). So please try to refrain from posting the latest coins that "have a good dev team with a promising future and will be added to Mintpal soon". I'm looking to create myself a "long term" portfolio that I can expect to outperform BTC 100% or more while hopefully BTC itself goes up 100% over the next year.

Last edited:
I've been mining nothing but VTC for weeks. Still doing ok on it...Just hang onto it until the price goes up a bit and your fine. I've been selling around 110-125 normally.

Call me faithless, call me a doubter, but:

NOTHING. Period.

There is NOTHING out there that interests me or inspires me with confidence in holding any of it. If I day trade, the mere fact that I buy something does not mean I support it, and by the end of the day, I still hold nothing but BTC... even if it means I take a small loss. Countless times have I woken up in the morning and noticed the coin I was inspired by the night before has somehow dropped into the shitter and is swirling the bowl never to recover. I will also admit however, that sometimes a couple of them have come back, but not so far from death as to call them viable still. DRK is one of those. It's come back from swirling the bowl, climbed onto the seat, and then fell in again.

That said. If you want some quick bucks, play the ups and downs on VRC. All of the rises and falls are pretty much controlled by bots as someone has had their pump/dump bot running on it for the past few weeks (on ALL exchanges), but if you only play for small gains (1000 satoshis at a time for instance... possibly 2000.... rarely more) then it is possible to make a bit on it as it has been nothing but consistent lately. Other than that, I still don't trust it enough to hold any.

However, I will step back and say that if I had to choose at least 1 coin that I could semi trust aside from BTC it's probaly BC. But I still am not inspired enough to hold any of it.

Disclaimer: This is, of course, my opinion right as of now.... I can't guarantee that this will remain my opinion as time goes on.

Call me faithless, call me a doubter, but:

NOTHING. Period.

There is NOTHING out there that interests me or inspires me with confidence in holding any of it.

This. They're all shitcoins, just to varying degrees of shitness.

BTC is king.

I'll still hold onto my PTS and NXT out of laziness, but I doubt they'll ever be worth much. Bitcoin just has all the momentum and name recognition.

I'm so glad I dumped all my LTC/DRK/DOGE/etc. a few months back. I looked at the prices for those today and they're all < 50% of what they were when I sold them :eek:

BTC is king.

I'll still hold onto my PTS and NXT out of laziness, but I doubt they'll ever be worth much. Bitcoin just has all the momentum and name recognition.

I'm so glad I dumped all my LTC/DRK/DOGE/etc. a few months back. I looked at the prices for those today and they're all < 50% of what they were when I sold them :eek:

Doubtful on the DRK if you sold a few months ago. It has been on a tear since late April, early May. Granted, well off the highs now, but still.

Bitcoin is definitely gold but Litecoin is going to increase down the road. All other cryptos I've not like since it is so easily geared towards early adopters because the block reward changes so much along with the difficulty increasing. With Litecoin having a set value of 84million coins and since the transaction are 4 times faster this could prove to be significantly better for smaller lighter transactions.

Dogecoin would have had so much potential if it has a maximum cap on coin generation along with the block reward being better distributed over a few years. The publicity that coin received has been great.

I'm placing my bets on XMR - will be interesting to see where it's at 6 months from now. There's quite a few promises the devs have yet to deliver on as it's still VERY early in development, and of course this carries great risk if any significant flaws are found. Assuming everything goes well - I feel 10x gains possible from current valuation.

There is a sizable amount of hype surrounding the anon coins right now though... and like I said the coin is still very early in dev, so the price may slide down in the short term.

The entire alt-coin market is at an all-time low. Nothing is currently worth firing up my rigs and dealing with the summer heat, so I'll know more if/when I resume this winter.

Worst case scenario I make low profits while heating my house for the winter again.

Tough crowd here. While I agree 99.9% of alts are crap, I am trying to identify the 0.1% that are not!

I made a big mistake with DOGE myself. But despite that I am still way above mine and dump ROI over the past year because of my others ventures into alts. :)

Yeah, I got burned with Doge at the end. And it is WAY over. DRK and BC are the only ones I will hold. I still trade DRK because it paid off all my hardware, and bought the 10 new 750ti I just cranked up today. I caught the swing right, so don't take that as financial advice!! BC is almost a given to swing enough to make money "day trading" (or maybe a few days) if you can handle some volume. That is not financial advice EITHER. The lottery might be better advice....

I got out of LTC last week -- glad I did, watching it falling just makes me happier and happier. I'm no Trump or gates, my whole crypto value is something like 1.3BTC.

I have confidence in nothing currently - if I get the urge to mine, I mine at blackcoinpool with X11 since it's low power. Profitibility sucks but still barely positive for me. Just not worth the time/energy/cooling requirements so my rigs sit idle. Winter time might change my tune. Going to sit on my crypto all in BTC form for now. Just kinda tired of the mine some random shit and "hope" it shoots up.

Mine the altcoin that has the best rate for your needs and flip it all for BTC.

Where are the gpu miners mining at the moment? Just got my quad 280x rig working again, no electricity cost. Vertcoin perhaps?

Been mining Vertcoins for a month or so now. Price sucks atm, but still making some coin...

Honestly, just rotating through few different pools.

http://x11.greenpool.tk/ - Mines X11 coins and auto converts to VTC - been pretty profitable the last couple days for whatever reason (maybe just luck).

http://blackcoinpool.com - Would be surprised if anyone hadn't heard of this yet but mines scrypt/x11/etc coins and converts to blackcoin.

http://wafflepool.com/ - Have mined X13 on and off here and it has been fairly decent as of late.

Honestly, just rotating through few different pools.

http://x11.greenpool.tk/ - Mines X11 coins and auto converts to VTC - been pretty profitable the last couple days for whatever reason (maybe just luck).

http://blackcoinpool.com - Would be surprised if anyone hadn't heard of this yet but mines scrypt/x11/etc coins and converts to blackcoin.

http://wafflepool.com/ - Have mined X13 on and off here and it has been fairly decent as of late.

X11 to Vert - Awesome! Thanks

Currently have a stake in DOGE and DRK. Only keeping DOGE as the public/media attention is still receives will see if it pans out. Sold most of my LTC about a month ago as well and seemed now was a good move.

Most of what I'm doing now is DRK and doing wafflepool to BTC for my ASICs.

The point of this thread to go back into an alt in hopes of outperforming BTC in mid/long run. :)

Point taken, but so far history has shown your hopes of an alt coin outpacing BTC mid/long has not happened. Hence, flip ALT for BTC. That's my point.

Point taken, but so far history has shown your hopes of an alt coin outpacing BTC mid/long has not happened. Hence, flip ALT for BTC. That's my point.

LTC has outperformed BTC somewhere between 100-200% the last two crypto bubbles. But this is only if you accumulated during the long drawn out accumulation phases in between the bubbles, and then sold for BTC back within the bubbles themselves (and not bought somewhere within the bubbles). NMC, FTC, and PPC did even more so at some point during the last bubble.

I think we are in the long drawn out accumulation phase now. But I also think there are far better alts available than LTC, NMC, FTC, etc.

LTC has outperformed BTC somewhere between 100-200% the last two crypto bubbles. But this is only if you accumulated during the long drawn out accumulation phases in between the bubbles, and then sold for BTC back within the bubbles themselves (and not bought somewhere within the bubbles). NMC, FTC, and PPC did even more so at some point during the last bubble.

I think we are in the long drawn out accumulation phase now. But I also think there are far better alts available than LTC, NMC, FTC, etc.

LTC has not participated in anything lately and is not even following BTC now. Slow death like Doggie probably. Everyone IS and has been in the BTC accumulation phase. That's one of the problems with this "currency".

ALT Mine, pump and dump is still alive and well.

LTC has not participated in anything lately and is not even following BTC now. Slow death like Doggie probably. Everyone IS and has been in the BTC accumulation phase. That's one of the problems with this "currency".

ALT Mine, pump and dump is still alive and well.

yeah, LTC completely fell off the wagon last 3-5 mths. Where it was in parity with BTC on ups and downs its completely on its own now and slowly dying. Basically all that any altcoin is doing now is attracting pump and dumpers to trade for BTC shares, then leaving all the lil guys bag holding the worthless altcoins. There is a short curve to stay ahead of. If you are thinking about accumulating an altcoin at this point you are never going to make a big profit.

yeah, LTC completely fell off the wagon last 3-5 mths. Where it was in parity with BTC on ups and downs its completely on its own now and slowly dying. Basically all that any altcoin is doing now is attracting pump and dumpers to trade for BTC shares, then leaving all the lil guys bag holding the worthless altcoins. There is a short curve to stay ahead of. If you are thinking about accumulating an altcoin at this point you are never going to make a big profit.

Exactly, Doge was great until they took the cap off. Saw someone mentioned that earlier too. Dark devs can't get the master nodes stable fast enough and it tanked.

Last edited:
Dark devs can't get the master nodes stable fast enough and it tanked.

Nodes were plenty stable, it was implementation of the node payouts that caused forks. So far with their "spork" release, over 80% of the network is updated and paying masternodes.

Nodes were plenty stable, it was implementation of the node payouts that caused forks. So far with their "spork" release, over 80% of the network is updated and paying masternodes.

Don't try and split hairs, the masternode inplementation was released and rolled back. NOT stable. This cost Dark the price momentum it had.

Speaking of price momentum, could LTC be on a roll? Will it continue upward or will it fall again? I've given up trying to predict its movements.... but if it's on the way up, maybe now's the time to buy back in again... at least for the short term.

There was a LOT of LTC bought in the $6.xx range, looks like the whales are loaded up but who knows when they're gonna dump.

Hopefully it will drag a few other coins w/it if it spikes within the next few days.

Don't try and split hairs, the masternode inplementation was released and rolled back. NOT stable. This cost Dark the price momentum it had.

No, payments were rolled back. Nodes continued to be functional even on the rollback. Yes, price suffered but it doesn't change the inaccuracy of your statement.

No, payments were rolled back. Nodes continued to be functional even on the rollback. Yes, price suffered but it doesn't change the inaccuracy of your statement.

Again, you are debating sematics. Whatever makes you feel better,

Hopefully it will drag a few other coins w/it if it spikes within the next few days.

Not likely. It has shown itself to be largely independent now. Even of BTC.... it was an inopportune moment, but it finally decided to stop mirroring BTC's movements and go things on its own. That's when it decided to travel downward. I haven't seen any coins mimic LTC's movements lately.

And it seems the price had spiked at .014xx... it appears to be back on its way down again.

asic really do kill coins if anyone ever makes a fully programmable asic that can be updated to do script n x11-16 scrypt jane and what ever else comes along with any sort of speed. Or maybe some sort of blade type box that has 8 pci-e slots and runs an arm processor with a custom linux distro to plug video cards in

asic really do kill coins if anyone ever makes a fully programmable asic that can be updated to do script n x11-16 scrypt jane and what ever else comes along with any sort of speed. Or maybe some sort of blade type box that has 8 pci-e slots and runs an arm processor with a custom linux distro to plug video cards in

I doubt you will see a specialized programmable ASIC that can do all the algos that are out. There is already immense development costs associated with die work and memory, I just don't see it happening anytime soon (if ever). Besides, someone will just daisy chain some more hash function and create something new.

As for the blackbox, I don't see how that is any different than buying a 6 pcie board w/ a low power cpu and running PIMP. Pretty much plug-and-play. I don't think any manufacturer will go down that road with the main board manufacturers already having scale.

Back