What are you playing on your deck?

Hows the resolution? Does it display deck standard resolution at huge scale and make it all blocky?
It depends on your viewing conditions but the visual quality is amazing for 1080p60. It's basically just an external monitor strapped to your head. I haven't actually changed any settings in the Deck or any game so I'll have to check what it's set at.

So far all but 2 games I've played work, those 2 are monstrum and wolfenstein 3d. Monstrum the game loads but it doesn't recognize the controls at all so I can't move. wolfenstein there's an issue with DOSbox and it just reloads constantly at the main menu. Screen loads top to bottom over and over, so it's gotta be a setting I haven't figured out how to edit.

After blazing through Doom Eternal though I'm playing Dead Space.

Reactions: w35t
like this
I just picked up these for my Steam Deck and backpack PC project. It's like 40" monitor strapped to your face. It's so much more comfortable to play with the deck held lower and having your head at a more natural position.

https://www.nreal.ai/air
Man this is interesting! I may have to give this a shot as well. Where did you order from?

I just found a seller on ebay. I'm not sure if there is a better way. It did ship from Japan and I got it in about a week.
Damn looks like you need either an Android phone or their streaming box which is nearly $300 =(

Did you activate it on an Android?

Yes, I did try to use them without activation but they wouldn't power up at all. There might be other ways but I'm an android user so it worked out.
Searched around and it looks like there is a link to activate them via chrome or edge by plugging them into a usb-c port on a pc or laptop.

Damn looks like you need either an Android phone or their streaming box which is nearly $300 =(

Did you activate it on an Android?
Looks like you can activate on PC (Chrome w/ translate) with USB C connection:

https://www.nreal.jp/activation.html

More info:

Searched around and it looks like there is a link to activate them via chrome or edge by plugging them into a usb-c port on a pc or laptop.
Looks like activation only on PC. Which might be OK.

Firmware update or Mixed Reality features via app on Android phone.

Currently re-playing Control (gog version) on the deck. I have installed quite a few games and so far all of them have played fine. For GoG it was really easy I just basically copied the installed game from my PC directly to my Deck then added the game on steam and checked the compatibility box in properties and it ran fine. I had 1 issue with Technomancer (steam version) that I had to use a specific proton version or it locked up at a certain point. And Dark Devotion that plays fine but the opening video didn't display, just garbage on the screen and the subtitles showing at the bottom. It's probably a codec issue since the videos are .wmv format though there are .mp4 videos but I don't think they are used. Overall it gives me a very good impression of games on linux. I'd probably switch to desktop linux if I could get a native version of directory opus for linux. I find most of the filemanagers on linux only passable in comparison.

edit: just completed the sentence, because I booted up the deck to check something and I guess I didn't finish the line. :facepalm:

As an aside, I did fix the video playback issue on the Deck with Dark Devotion. To fix it just go into the Cines folder and delete the *.wmv files there, then in the Cines/MP4_console directory move the *.mp4 files to the Cines folder. Then rename all the *.mp4 files to *.wmv and it will play fine when you start the game. :)

Last edited:
LurkerLito I was thinking about this the other day actually. Steam Deck kind of reminds me of PC gaming before 2010. Mild tinkering with settings that is juuuust above the average PC user but not completely impossible to stumble through with a guide or youtube video to help.

Hows the resolution? Does it display deck standard resolution at huge scale and make it all blocky?
I figured out how to set it for 1080p default so games have the full slew of options now. Some text looked a little off at the standard resolution but honestly with my old eyes it looked amazing.

I'd also like to report Trombone Champ is game of the decade once I figured out the gyro controls work perfectly for this game! I'm not saying it will make you play better I'm saying it's WAY more fun to play this way. This makes TC a must buy. I assure you it is a great experience on Steam Deck even though it's not yet rated.

https://twitter.com/lawrenceyang/status/1572438040173490182

I figured out how to set it for 1080p default so games have the full slew of options now. Some text looked a little off at the standard resolution but honestly with my old eyes it looked amazing.

I'd also like to report Trombone Champ is game of the decade once I figured out the gyro controls work perfectly for this game! I'm not saying it will make you play better I'm saying it's WAY more fun to play this way. This makes TC a must buy. I assure you it is a great experience on Steam Deck even though it's not yet rated.

https://twitter.com/lawrenceyang/status/1572438040173490182
Getting my Nreal's soon. Is there secret sauce to 1080p default?

I just found a seller on ebay. I'm not sure if there is a better way. It did ship from Japan and I got it in about a week.
Seems like they can be ordered from Amazon Japan.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Cance...4&sprefix=nreal+air+ar+glasses,aps,218&sr=8-2

Someone on Reddit found a link for Amazon USA but no stock yet.
https://www.amazon.com/Nreal-Glasses-Massive-Micro-OLED-Augmented/dp/B0BF5PRC43/

They look neat! Might get a set at some point. Thanks for the information on them.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just picked up these for my Steam Deck and backpack PC project. It's like 40" monitor strapped to your face. It's so much more comfortable to play with the deck held lower and having your head at a more natural position.

https://www.nreal.ai/air/
Yooo, I’ve been considering these for a long time since I got my deck. So I know the screens and sunglasses are see through, do you loose detail in the image because you’re not looking at solid image?

Yooo, I’ve been considering these for a long time since I got my deck. So I know the screens and sunglasses are see through, do you loose detail in the image because you’re not looking at solid image?
Yep. Its like when you have too much light in a room with a projector. They come with a shield so you can black out the world around you if you prefer to use them that way. I find turning the lights down is more than enough.
You can see the solid shield in this image below the nose bridges.
1664160335012.png

Yep. Its like when you have too much light in a room with a projector. They come with a shield so you can black out the world around you if you prefer to use them that way. I find turning the lights down is more than enough.
You can see the solid shield in this image below the nose bridges.
View attachment 513739
Good to know, good to know.
Thank you.
Really wish I could see them in action before I buy them, but I guess I will need to take a shot in the dark. The cost of being on the cutting edge of tech!
Do you find you prefer to use them over just looking at your deck screen?
What is the process of connecting the Airs to your steam deck? Do you simply plug in the USB-C cable from your deck to the Airs? Do the Airs need an external power source also or are they powered completely by the steam deck?

Good to know, good to know.
Thank you.
Really wish I could see them in action before I buy them, but I guess I will need to take a shot in the dark. The cost of being on the cutting edge of tech!
I feel weird about how hyped I am about these stupid things. I used to sit in my office almost all the time but I can hang out on the couch and game, watch youtube, whatever, and not bother anyone else. And I can look at them and see them and not interrupt whatever the fuck I'm doing. I would let you try them out if I had a way. There are trade offs, they aren't a gaming monitor.
Do you find you prefer to use them over just looking at your deck screen?
1000% yes. I've also been using them on my pocket Linux computer.
What is the process of connecting the Airs to your steam deck? Do you simply plug in the USB-C cable from your deck to the Airs?
Yup. You do need to activate them first. There are several resources for doing so. The Android app activates the glasses and updates the firmware. I believe there is a website that activates the glasses on a PC. There is no iPhone compatibility.
Do the Airs need an external power source also or are they powered completely by the steam deck?
The most simple setup is to connect the Airs via USB-C to the deck. They do consume more power and if you run in 1080p mode it will be even more so. I use this jank setup send the displayport alt-mode signal to the HDMI port on the USB-C hub, then is converted from HDMI back to USB-C (with extra power from the same dock) displayport alt-mode. You need very specific HDMI to USB-C converters (Which I learned are only one direction and different from USB-C to HDMI converters. Most are not the direction we want.) so the top 10% of the image isn't overscanned to the bottom. Also, most USB-C hubs don't have USB-C video out. If you find one, tell me immediately lol. I haven't yet measured the power draw from the HDMI converter but the hub does power everything and more very nicely. The Deck negotiates the full 45w even with all the extra draw. The extra USB-C cable there is the external NVMe drive I keep some of my library on.

1664240818932.png

1000% yes. I've also been using them on my pocket Linux computer.
To me it all comes down to this. The amount of people I've seen say the biggest issue with their deck is the screen, and how small it really is. The idea of taking a deck and making it a large viewing experience, but on the go, has to be the future of mobile gaming.
Haha awesome battey/hub, I might need to do the same.

Amazon USA link is live.
Nreal Air AR Glasses, Smart Glasses with Massive 201" Micro-OLED Virtual Theater, Augmented Reality Glasses, Watch, Stream, and Game on PC/Android/iOS – Consoles & Cloud Gaming Compatible https://a.co/8S00wxl

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
To me it all comes down to this. The amount of people I've seen say the biggest issue with their deck is the screen, and how small it really is.
The screen is huge. This issue is whether or not games get patched with UI and on-screen text, which are appropriate for the Deck. Nintendo Switch has the same considerations. And there have been some games, particularly in the first 3-ish years, which did not adjust text size for their Switch port.

The screen is huge. This issue is whether or not games get patched with UI and on-screen text, which are appropriate for the Deck. Nintendo Switch has the same considerations. And there have been some games, particularly in the first 3-ish years, which did not adjust text size for their Switch port.
Yea, for 800p, the Steam Deck's screen size is massive. You rarely see such low PPI on a handheld device these days. That's why I find the idea of lowering the PPI even further pretty silly. But to each their own. Some people watch movies on $50 screen projectors. I think these types of ideas are made to appeal to people attracted to cheesy gadgets and gizmos.

Yea, for 800p, the Steam Deck's screen size is massive. You rarely see such low PPI on a handheld device these days. That's why I find the idea of lowering the PPI even further pretty silly. But to each their own. Some people watch movies on $50 screen projectors. I think these types of ideas are made to appeal to people attracted to cheesy gadgets and gizmos.
I'm in my 40s. Anything that would be gained in PPI I lost naturally ten years ago. Most games I play either were made so long ago it doesn't matter or the UI doesn't work on a tiny screen for me. My back and neck aren't sore after even short play sessions because I can hold the controller at an angle that makes viewing impossible. I can lay down and game on my back. Well, any position really. And all I'm trading off is sharpness of text in some areas so far. But please keep telling us how we hold the wrong opinion :LOL::ROFLMAO:

been playing a lot of Minecraft Dungeons .

Want a turn based strategy game and was holding out for Triangle Strategy since I passed on it on the Switch knowing it was coming for Steam but I am waiting for a few more reviews on Protondb since I also only run Linux on my main rig.

Sat down and played thru Vanishing of Ethan Carter last night. Never played it before, I'd say its a perfect game for the Steam Deck. It does have random FPS drops later in the game but for the most part its 50+fps the entire time. My first game beaten on the deck (5 hours to beat in one sitting). I was shocked I had no hand cramps, have fairly large hands. With the Nintendo Switch I'd have to take a break after a couple hours.
View attachment 500809

View attachment 500810

View attachment 500811
Damnit. Now I want one. This is actually one of my favorite games. I assume you ran at 720p? The game is still a little demanding.

So after I saw 2 it will run on steam deck reviews on protondb I grabbed Triangle Strategy.

Several hours in and it is 100% deck friendly (what a shock since it came over to steam from the switch).

So that is what I am playing now.

So after I saw 2 it will run on steam deck reviews on protondb I grabbed Triangle Strategy.

Several hours in and it is 100% deck friendly (what a shock since it came over to steam from the switch).

So that is what I am playing now.

I had forgotten about this game, will definitely need to grab a copy as I enjoy these Tactics Ogre-style games. Which also reminds me that Tactics Ogre: Reborn should be releasing next month for PC.

I picked up a Docktech (iirc) USB-C dongle for my Deck to display on an external monitor. Worked well enough, though I only received it yesterday so haven't had a chance to play around with it much. But next set of days off I plan on checking out desktop mode, installing emulators, and other launchers (I'm sure I have a bunch of unplayed games on Epic).

Crimsonland - I must have picked it up in some bundle or something, have no recollection of playing it or even noticing it until I got my Deck a few months back. Tried it out and despite being pretty simple/repetitive, I'm hooked. Just a great little twin-stick shooter with loads of fun powerups and weapons.

Also finally played through Broforce, spent time with Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle, logged some hours with Vampire Survivor and Nomad Survival (which are similar but different enough to play both).

Reactions: maro
like this
Generation Zero, not a huge fan of the joysticks when trying to snipe components…. But it beats carrying around a laptop.

Just finished Triangle Strategy. 555ish hours for me. Last two chapters were a chore since I was under leveled and had to keep redoing mock fights.

Going to start Various Daylife now; also by Square

Back