What are you playing on your deck?

equinox654

Gawd
Right now I am playing:
Devil May Cry 5 - 60fps max settings
Wizard of Legend
Hades - I have beat the story but jump in occasionally.
FF4 Pixel Remaster

I installed the heroic launcher last night and tried:
Subnautica - runs poorly, 30fps
Control - 40 fps at native, 60 at 540p
Cyberpunk - 30-40 fps depending on settings feels smooth though.

So far I've been playing around with emulators in the steam desktop version of Retroarch and it does pretty well. It did not want to boot a sd card x86 image of RecalBox but I think eventually they'll release one with Steam Deck support.

As for Steam games I've played around a little with the following:

Pinball Arcade - listed as unsupported but it does run, took a few attempts to get sorted
Pinball FX3 - seems to work well
these played great using a usb-c hub with hdmi output and a xbox controller on the living room TV - game mode or other low latency setting on your TV is a must...
PGA 2K21 - great both on Deck and using a hub
Wreckfest - ran 2-3 different tracks plays great on Deck
Inside - simple creepy side scoller so it should and did play well
Alien Isolation - played 10 mins and it looks great and plays smoothly
Hoard - another simple game that I expected to do well and it did
Space Run - 2014ish game... listed as unknown. Did not run, nothing but black screen. Did not hard lock tho and was able to exit.
Left for Dead 2 - ran great but like Alien Iso I prefer KB/M for these type games
Dirt Rally - looked and ran great - exceptionally well. It is an old(ish) title now but it was pretty much locked at 60FPS and butter smooth
Long Dark - played 2 mins and all I can say so far is it runs
Dorf Romantik - looked fine, played ok but I think prefer KB/M - 5 minute opinion I need to revisit this one
Hotline Maimi - ran well
Mark of the Ninja Remastered - played and looked great
Spelunky - plays great and just as frustrating as ever
Valheim - seems to run great but another 5 minute opinion another game I prefer KB/M

thats what I've tried so far...

So far I've been playing around with emulators in the steam desktop version of Retroarch and it does pretty well. It did not want to boot a sd card x86 image of RecalBox but I think eventually they'll release one with Steam Deck support.

As for Steam games I've played around a little with the following:

Pinball Arcade - listed as unsupported but it does run, took a few attempts to get sorted
Pinball FX3 - seems to work well
these played great using a usb-c hub with hdmi output and a xbox controller on the living room TV - game mode or other low latency setting on your TV is a must...
PGA 2K21 - great both on Deck and using a hub
Wreckfest - ran 2-3 different tracks plays great on Deck
Inside - simple creepy side scoller so it should and did play well
Alien Isolation - played 10 mins and it looks great and plays smoothly
Hoard - another simple game that I expected to do well and it did
Space Run - 2014ish game... listed as unknown. Did not run, nothing but black screen. Did not hard lock tho and was able to exit.
Left for Dead 2 - ran great but like Alien Iso I prefer KB/M for these type games
Dirt Rally - looked and ran great - exceptionally well. It is an old(ish) title now but it was pretty much locked at 60FPS and butter smooth
Long Dark - played 2 mins and all I can say so far is it runs
Dorf Romantik - looked fine, played ok but I think prefer KB/M - 5 minute opinion I need to revisit this one
Hotline Maimi - ran well
Mark of the Ninja Remastered - played and looked great
Spelunky - plays great and just as frustrating as ever
Valheim - seems to run great but another 5 minute opinion another game I prefer KB/M

thats what I've tried so far...

Have you tried emudeck?

I see you might have.
https://hardforum.com/threads/steam-deck-tips-tricks.2019853/post-1045390705

https://www.emudeck.com/

Last edited:
I just fired it up today and tried playing the desk job game and then downloaded Tomb Raider and MGSV.

Reactions: maro
like this
I just fired it up today and tried playing the desk job game and then downloaded Tomb Raider and MGSV.

Just got done playing the desk job game.

First run when the ABXY keys come up on the table is where it stayed. Restarted the game and was able to play through
Next issue was when it wanted to bring up they keyboard. Game lagged for about 10 seconds audio and video was choppy before the keyboard came up. When it came up I used it closed it and brought it up again. Does the same thing.
3rd I finished the game I press quit and have been on a steam loading screen for about 10 mins.

like this
Due to my schedule, I have had little time using my 512GB model Steam Deck, but with a bit of itme off this weekend, will try some games. Thanks for the recommendation of the Desk Job game, had not heard of this game until now.

I played some Dirt, Maneater, and Peggle on mine,
IMG_2664.JPEG

I've mainly been playing games that either basically require controllers (.hack//G.U. Last Recode mainly) , Some More Story based games (Road 96, Cloudpunk) and emulated PS2 games.

I forgot about the desk job 'game'.
It was one of the first things I played and I also had odd control issues when running it the first time, which is unfortunate considering it's supposed to be a Steam Deck control input demo. I restarted the game and it worked fine the second time around.

Burnout 3 and Middle Earth (first one). I like using my Steam Deck to play older games.

like this
Going through a backlog of PS2 games (e.g. Grandia III, God of War) on mine since I grew up on the Xbox side of the console wars in those days.

So many games...I have done more gaming aside from MMO stuff since I got my Deck than in a long time. Thought I'd play more platformers but ended playing more AAA titles.

Guardians of the Galaxy (finished off last 3 chapters I've been sitting on for ages then deleted)
Mass Effect Legendary
Tales of Arise
Monster Hunter World
Inquisitor Martyr
Owlboy (for some platformer fun)
Hades
God of War reboot
Ghostbusters Remastered

Control
Star Citizen
Geometry Wars
Dirt 4
House of the Dying Sun
Hotline Miami
The Ascent
Witcher 3
Ruiner

The 1Tb micro Sd, or at least a 500Gb one, really is a must for the deck.

like this
As mentioned already, using Heroic game launcher to install Epic or GOG games on the deck is easy. Also for any DRM free game you can just copy the install folder using USB stick, then add non steam game. I'm having probably more fun just testing games.

Resident evil 4 (steam)
orcs must die (steam)
American/Euro truck simulator (steam)
Guacamelee (steam)
StreetsOfRage4 (gog )
Spelunky (amazon version)
steamworld dig (amazon version)
walking dead definite edition (gog)
hotline miami (gog)
Hotline miami 2 - not working, amazon version, getting black screen on launch.
crosscode (itch.io)
broforce (gog)
FightnRage (gog)
Mutantyearzerio (epic)

like this
Had my deck over a month now. I have stopped playing clash Royale on my phone, haven’t opened a game on my desktop since.

Essentially after work while me me, the wife and my boy are in the living room watching tv… I pull out the deck and play. I love the thing.

I wouldn’t mind having one with a DGPU as I have an outlet next to me on the couch and one next to the bed and only need the battery to last long enough to take a dump.

Anyway now on the device I have:
Divinity 2
Path of exile
The ascent
Core keeper (surprisingly runs bad)
Hades
Mad tower tycoon
Raft
Stardew valley
Wizard of legend
Aranock (mercenaries of Astonia sever)
Lutris
Crystal project
Empires of the undergrowth
Lawn mower sim - Epic
Octopath Traveler
Ziggurat 2 ( haven’t played yet)

Still have 266gigs free of 512

Me and the boy have been playing raft together, but it’s exhausting. Constantly cooking fish and distilling water lol.

Have you guys found any good multiplayer or coop games that run?

Me and the boy have been playing raft together, but it’s exhausting. Constantly cooking fish and distilling water lol.

Have you guys found any good multiplayer or coop games that run?
Valheim works fine and you can spawn items into the game via console commands in singleplayer to make it easier then carry it into multiplayer servers on your own local server. We run one on our plex and crap box that is not listed in the browser and requires pasting in some stuff but it works great. My wife built a gigantic pig farm castle that is so large the giants can't even see you inside of it and so do not attack it. Inside are hundreds of bins full of meat and hundreds of pigs. Besides this there's gigantic towers, 6 of them in the middle that are big enough for two pigs, some food, and when they poop baby pigs they fall off and take no fall damage all the way down to the grass. There they grow up and when they can't really move around to get food anymore she culls them and fills up more bins. I spawned in the best bow and 10k rounds of ammunition and sometimes while drunk I sit on top of a revetment and snipe at things with it at ridiculous mortar-lobbing angles.
Before we built the real server we ran it (the local valheim server) on a pi 4b 4GB with steamcmd and box86/box64 and that works fine too though the real server handles more than 4 players better. Today we just run i386 packages and steamcmd and that works fine.

Last edited:
Just got mine today and I tried out final fantasy 7 remake inter grade and was amazed how well it runs. Looking for other things to play on it right now.

I tried valheim when Ilthe deck first came in. I remember the fps being in the mid 20s inside my house.

Started with Dirt3. Not totally supported but fun to goof with. Every once in awhile it will hitch with a massive frame drop but ither than that and i can’t find the button for the brake its fine.

Played a little Pac Man championship.

Messed around with Wolfenstein New Order a bit, going to take some time getting used to controller as it hasn’t really been my thing.

Relaxing Machinarium puzzle game. Super zen like chill

Also installed The Long Dark (loved it early release, dropped it for a bit after they made it controller friendly…looking to pick it back up.

Installed also

Portal
Oddworld Abe’s Oddysee
Alan Wake
Alien Isolation

Toying with installing War Thunder but its so huge lol

Halo infinite works on proton 7-27. Sound is a bit bad. Trying to see what other multiplayer games I can get to work.

like this
Lots of emudeck SNES stuff but recently the audio started stuttering badly. When I kill the game everything goes normal for a second then closes.

Edit: it was one of the power limit settings.

Last edited:
like this
If you like rim world check out space haven.
I Picked it up on the deck last night and love it.

You build/expand a space ship and manage the crew in a way similar to rimworld.

You can jump the ship to other systems, salvage derelicts, mine asteroids, combat with aliens/bad guys. Send your little dudes on away missions with the shuttle.

You can customize their shirt colors. I color coded mine like Star Trek.

The pixel graphics are pretty good. It’s still early access and doesn’t have as much depth as rim world, though I think the setting and art make the game more enjoyable for me though.

There are some trivial mods on nexus. They have official mod support in the pipeline though.

Attachments

• 6AF224A7-E122-4DEB-B708-F65855ADA4E8.jpeg
    6AF224A7-E122-4DEB-B708-F65855ADA4E8.jpeg
    763.9 KB · Views: 0
like this
My cousin sent me a link to the humble resident evil bundle. I had completely forgot about bundles.
I resubbed to humble, kept a couple of keys and gave the rest to my son. Went through my owned keys from a couple of years ago and gave the boy like 30 games for his deck.

Then I googled bundles and found Fanatical.
I bought 2 bundles and did a loot box drop of 10 games. Spent around $20 there.
Here are my pulls from Fanatical:
For sure plays:
Children of Morta
Death Road to Canada
Nomad Survival
The Ramp
Valfaris
Sparklite
Moonlighter
Wayward Souls

Rest of games:
Everhood
Grand Mountain Adventure: Wonderlands
The Dark Eye: Memoria
Zombie Kill of the Week - Reborn
Dustforce DX
Anna's Quest
Movie Studio Boss: The Sequel
Mindustry
Starpoint Gemini Warlords
Iratus: Lord of the Dead
They Bleed Pixels

Moving forward. I will be checking both sites regularly. It is a cheap way to get great games suited to the deck.

As far as the random 10 games on fanatical, only the movie studio boss game had bad reviews. Rest of the games were well rated.
Frankly I am surprised as the only other time I have bought something like that was on g2a and got crap.

Picked up Spider-Man Remastered and other than a few weird glitches after a few hours of play....which oddly is the same issue I have with God of War, it plays beautifully! Both those games seem to hang and/or slow down for a 10-15 seconds after a few hours of continuous play, then they are fine again.

Been playing Vampire Survivors mostly. Have also just been trying out various library games and seeing how they work. Overall very impressed with the Deck.

Sat down and played thru Vanishing of Ethan Carter last night. Never played it before, I'd say its a perfect game for the Steam Deck. It does have random FPS drops later in the game but for the most part its 50+fps the entire time. My first game beaten on the deck (5 hours to beat in one sitting). I was shocked I had no hand cramps, have fairly large hands. With the Nintendo Switch I'd have to take a break after a couple hours.
IMG_1617.JPG

IMG_1618.JPG

IMG_1619.JPG

Sat down and played thru Vanishing of Ethan Carter last night. Never played it before, I'd say its a perfect game for the Steam Deck. It does have random FPS drops later in the game but for the most part its 50+fps the entire time. My first game beaten on the deck (5 hours to beat in one sitting). I was shocked I had no hand cramps, have fairly large hands. With the Nintendo Switch I'd have to take a break after a couple hours.
View attachment 500809

View attachment 500810

View attachment 500811

I played the aperture desk job game, then tried to play monstrum, couldn't get it to work, then decided to play vanishing of Ethan Carter, I have owned it for a couple of years but haven't played it yet, figured it'd be nice to play at work on my downtime, and it is!

Not sure what I'll play next though.

Betrayer - another game I have had for a few years and not played.

Just finished Ori and the Blind Forest. Pretty game and very fun aside from a few frustrating escape sequences. Haven't started the next one (Will of the Wisps) yet.

Playing a bit of Into the Breach for turn based stuff, and some Super Meat Boy when the twitchy mood strikes as well.

Need to sift thru the backlog & find some sort of chill scenic adventure game or RPG to play, those shots of Vanishing of Ethan Carter above look like fun

Got my JSAUX Steam Deck Dock today. Works on my small 21:9 monitor. Will hook it up to my Plasma later tonight probably and try out some NES games.

IMG_2894.JPEG

I finished betrayer and I'm onto painkiller, the sequel/reboot, almost done with that, then still deciding on what's next.

like this
Aperture Desk Job
Crash Bandicoot insane trilogy
Deep Rock Galatic
Divinity Original Sin II
King of Fighter 2002
King of Fighters 98
Metal Slug X
Peggle Nights
Sea of Thieves
Sonic Mania
Spyro
Yooka-Laylee

and of course Emu Deck

I will be install Baldurs Gate 3 latter on.

I've been 100% Linux (except for a VM for just in case things like Turbo Tax) for a while now so setting up Heroic, Lutris and running my GoG games (the few I have that do not have native Linux Installers) is nothing new, just space constraints right now since only have the 256 GB model and only an old 256 GB micro sd because of having to buy two Steam Decks

I do have an old mini palm size bluetooth keyboard/mouse that makes desktop mode ok while not docked. Have n Dock I can use from my work laptop that I got to connect extra monitors to but want to get the JSAUX Steam Deck Dock when I do get a 1TB micro SD.

Just blazed through doom and now I'm on doom eternal, eternal the settings are on ultra and it's 60+ fps. Doom it was too aside from a couple of levels in Hell, and shadows had to be on high instead of max. It's a powerful little device

I am going to be playing movies and tv shows on the go (like I go anywhere, lol) with mine, installed the Plex HTPC app just now.
IMG_2956.JPEG

tutorial for setup,

Currently my Deck is on a dock and occupying the space of my gaming PC while I play musical chairs with my next videocard. I've been using it to play DayZ (1080p, medium settings). Other than that and I'm mostly just emulating. Mostly Burnout 3. Still one of the best games ever made. Crash events are great quick-time killers and the racing keeps me occupied for longer stretches of time. But I also have been playing the original Castlevania games. Those never get old, for me.

I just picked up these for my Steam Deck and backpack PC project. It's like 40" monitor strapped to your face. It's so much more comfortable to play with the deck held lower and having your head at a more natural position.

https://www.nreal.ai/air/

Reactions: w35t
like this
Fallen Order and Cyberpunk. Steam Deck is enabling me to actually finish these games 20-30 minutes at a time.

I just picked up these for my Steam Deck and backpack PC project. It's like 40" monitor strapped to your face. It's so much more comfortable to play with the deck held lower and having your head at a more natural position.

https://www.nreal.ai/air/
Hows the resolution? Does it display deck standard resolution at huge scale and make it all blocky?

Back