What are you nerds playing this weekend?

Going to start going through the Silent Hill series for October. Maybe Resident Evil if I have the time. I have not played SH or the original RE games in years. I did grind some retro achievements out in RE1 earlier this year, but haven't touched 2 & 3 yet. Going to do a run through Scorn, first.
Emulator - my original hardware doesn't work too well anymore. The AC input is bent and requires a book to prop the plug to keep it turned on. But it's sensitive and a simple bump can turn it off. I was too young to experience the NES as it released but I did get to experience the SNES. NES games in comparison were very hard and confusing. I didn't begin to appreciate NES games until I've grown older. But I really do appreciate them now. There's something to be said for games with tight controls and punishing yet rewarding gameplay. Many modern games today lack these fundamental gameplay elements. The Dark Souls series might be the most modern series to capture that magical feeling, but even the Souls games feel clunky compared to the classic NES titles.

For me the main upside to emulation is that RetroArch has RetroAchievements. It tracks your progress and even lets other players know if you used cheats or savestates (which I try not to).

Excited to play this! Having said that, it's pretty weird that the only exciting title this year is an indie FPS. PC gaming feels so...dead. It still makes a bunch of money clearly but it's clearly a shadow of its former self.
NES and SNES emulation are clock cycle accurate these days, so the only advantage to playing on original hardware is zero latency if it's paired with a CRT. Emulation is even better with a MisterFPGA. Mesen for NES and bsnes/Bizhawk for SNES are the best emulators out there.

If anybody wants to follow me on RetroAchievements, my profile is ArmeniusLOD. I also made a thread here. Achievement support was just added for PlayStation 2 games through the standalone PCSX2 emulator in the latest dev builds.

https://hardforum.com/threads/retro-achievements-my-newest-obsession.2009585/

1665712451324.png

Played some Cyberpunk 2077, and felt like some pirate action, so also played Sid Mier's Pirates for a while. My next game will be Asterigos: Curse of the Stars as i just got it and it looks like fun.

I binged through all the Crysis games.
Decided to install and play through Bioshock Remastered.
Cannot save or load games. I installed vanilla Bioshock and I'll be trying to give that a go this weekend. Sent a case to 2k and they replied back with a troubleshooting guide for consoles. Then said its my network and closed the case.

Probably Scorn. It's not really my kind of game (puzzles for the sake of puzzles), but I dig the look of it. I figure I want to get it off my plate prior to the DLC from RE:Village hitting next week.

I binged through all the Crysis games.
Decided to install and play through Bioshock Remastered.
Cannot save or load games. I installed vanilla Bioshock and I'll be trying to give that a go this weekend. Sent a case to 2k and they replied back with a troubleshooting guide for consoles. Then said its my network and closed the case.
Fired up Bioshock Remastered last night after creating the folder structure C:\userid\documents\BioshockHD\Bioshock\SaveGames\. (All my user profile folders are on a separate drive). Created a shortcut to the .exe instead of launching it through Steam and tried it running as Admin. I got ten minutes in and saved a game at least six times before my kiddo decided we needed to watch wheels on the bus instead. Hopefully later I can try to load a game.

Working my way through Divinity Original Sin 2. I'm usually into ARPGs but I'm really getting into the storytelling of CRPGs. I think I'll either do PoE (Pillars of Eternity) or Pathfinder next. If anyone has a recommendation let me know.

Fired up Bioshock Remastered last night after creating the folder structure C:\userid\documents\BioshockHD\Bioshock\SaveGames\. (All my user profile folders are on a separate drive). Created a shortcut to the .exe instead of launching it through Steam and tried it running as Admin. I got ten minutes in and saved a game at least six times before my kiddo decided we needed to watch wheels on the bus instead. Hopefully later I can try to load a game.
It's working sporadically. Had one crash which lost me about 30 minutes of play. I just spam the quick save button. If I get an error I play for ten more minutes and try again. No issues loading a game yet *fingers crossed*.

Replaying God of War (on NG+, never did that before) to get ready for Ragnarok.

Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition.
Just picked it up after finally finishing DoS2, both of which are on sale right now for great prices on GoG.
First impressions are that it's rough. It's incredibly apparent how much the second game is refined after the first one, though most of the mechanics are the same.
I'm willing to power through to the meat though.

Last edited:
Ghost of Tshushima's combat will ruin you for other games - it is so satisfying. Also check out the multiplayer if you get the chance, its pretty stellar (and was a free add-on after the base game)
Yeah I really like game already I paid big bucks for a used copy on ebay.

I'm going back to Forza Horizon 4 after having a really good time with 5. At the time I didn't realize that the Forza series had arcade-y games, too. Gotta have something to occupy my time until God of War hits, and the RE Village DLC was too short and frankly, kind of lame.

Completed Bioshock and started up Bioshock 2. After about an hour I realized I didn't recall anything about the game. No technical issues with Bioshock 2 so far.

Completed Bioshock and started up Bioshock 2. After about an hour I realized I didn't recall anything about the game. No technical issues with Bioshock 2 so far.
Earlier this year I replayed 1 & 2, didn't enjoy the gameplay in 2 as much, though the spear gun was fun to use. Reminded me of FEAR.

I finished my Dead Space 2 revisit (as my halloween game) not sure what I'll play next.

Earlier this year I replayed 1 & 2, didn't enjoy the gameplay in 2 as much, though the spear gun was fun to use. Reminded me of FEAR.

I finished my Dead Space 2 revisit (as my halloween game) not sure what I'll play next.
After Dead Space 2, why not 3?

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order or Guardians of the Galaxy. Trying to decide which might be the more fun of the two, and then play the less good one first :D

After Dead Space 2, why not 3?
I was thinking about it, watched a bit of a YT playthrough and the game play seems largely the same. But the game in general did not seem to be as positively reviewed as the first 2 games did.

I was thinking about it, watched a bit of a YT playthrough and the game play seems largely the same. But the game in general did not seem to be as positively reviewed as the first 2 games did.
I just replayed all 3, and it does progress the story if you care about that. If not then I'd pass, it turns more action than horror, though the expansion pack did bring the horror element back some.

I just replayed all 3, and it does progress the story if you care about that. If not then I'd pass, it turns more action than horror, though the expansion pack did bring the horror element back some.
the sequel was initially planned as a horror-focused experience but demands from Electronic Arts resulted in the introduction of action elements, the de-emphasis of horror themes, and the introduction of microtransactions.

Thanks EA, you always find a way to ruin franchises.

Infinite is next, I never played that one all the way through. I didn't feel like it was Bioshock. I'd like to say I'm going to replay Dead Space, but I'm pretty sure I never finished the first one.

Looking at my library I got an itch to play through the Jedi Knight series. Might be a bit better to play around my 2 year old who is starting to yell Staw Wass when we watch the movie or TV shows.

Infinite is next, I never played that one all the way through. I didn't feel like it was Bioshock. I'd like to say I'm going to replay Dead Space, but I'm pretty sure I never finished the first one.

Looking at my library I got an itch to play through the Jedi Knight series. Might be a bit better to play around my 2 year old who is starting to yell Staw Wass when we watch the movie or TV shows.
I actually enjoyed the game play in infinite the best, but liked the story the least. I'd wait for the DS1 remake, which is coming out in Jan., looks really good. The first game came out in the crap console port years and suffers from it.

It's good. Everybody hangs onto the coop and "action" ruining the game, but that is far from the truth. It's not nearly as good as DS2, but it is on par with the first game for me. The story wraps up the trilogy really well if you play through it with the expansion DLC.

Back