What are you nerds playing this weekend?

Going to give Gundam Evolution a spin. Overwatch, but with Gundam mechs. Then back to Dying Light 2, probably.

I found it in me to finish the last few missions in Black Ops Cold War, and I'm glad I did, because it had one of the most satisfying endings I've experienced in gaming.

After learning that Russia is my homeland and that the CIA brainwashed me into helping the USA, I set up an ambush and mercilessly slaughtered the CIA pigs and drove a knife into Adler's heart as he struggled. Then Europe is nuked and I get to reign as one of the higher-ups within Russia's new world order, all while doing a great service to my homeland.

Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II - Rise of the Witch-king

A criminally underrated RTS from the mid 2000's

Still early in Dying Light 2. Boring game but because I have nothing to play, I will keep indulging. Not doing the stupid side quests.

My son and I just beat The Quarry together. Meh - it was alright.
He wants to play Until Dawn now - so we'll get into that.
If I have time, gonna fly from SF to New York in MS Simulator this weekend.

Black Mesa: Definitive Edition
Maybe some Division 1 PC, the Dark Zone has been busy lately. Get all the PVP commendations.

Replaying the Castlevania games for my Halloween October. I'm about to beat the first one. I beat it for my first time a couple years ago and it was a struggle. Having beaten most of the series since then, I have to admit Castlevania 1 is so much easier now. It's a fun romp. I'm excited to attempt Simon's Quest, because I skipped that one previously.

I've also been playing DayZ. I've rented my own 60-slot DayZ server. I put Namalsk and the DayOne survival mods. It's a blast. I've only gotten as much as ~8 players, but I'm confident the numbers will grow. If anyone wants to come check it out, add it to your favorites!

b_560_95_1.png

Days Gone on PC.

I actually bought it mid last year and only just got round to putting the hours in. Now 24 hours playtime in and really enjoying it, was a slow burn the first 10 hours or so before things pick up. Glad I waited so long as my previous card (2070 Super) could only manage a bit over 60fps and my monitor then was the same res but only 60Hz and no VRR. Now I can lock the game at 120fps and the monitor stays in 144Hz with Gsync ultimate. It's night and day difference in how quick the engine responds in-game and on OLED the immersion especially at night with the lights off is pretty immense.

The graphics, the voice acting, the animations, the sound, everything is just stunning and reminds me of Last of Us series, another game I can't wait to play on PC soon.

Look at it!

20220929003823_1.jpg

20220929012821_1.jpg

20220929014116_1.jpg

20220929020701_1.jpg

2022.09.28_17.48.46.38.jpg

2022.09.28_17.26.27.74.jpg

2022.09.28_17.25.09.49.jpg

2022.09.28_17.12.44.39.jpg

2022.09.28_17.08.14.48.jpg

20220927080428_1.jpg

20220927082348_1.jpg

20220927081003_1.jpg

2022.09.27_%2021.47.44.22.jpg

2022.09.27_22.45.05.05.jpg

2022.09.27_22.49.51.91.jpg

2022.09.27_23.28.50.41.jpg

2022.09.27_23.41.51.32.jpg

Last edited:
Still playing Ghost of Tsushima. Nearly everything I do feels like deja vu since the game borrows so heavily from Assassin's Creed, the Witcher 3, and Nioh. It's in no way bad, but it's probably the most derivative AAA title I can think of.

On vacation right now playing Doom 3 BFG Edition - The Lost Levels - or whatever the last expansion is. Wow, level design in this game is awful. Just a bunch of corridors so far with very little imagination. It's like some kid just cut his teeth on a level editor. It's that bad (so far).

I'm playing the game on my Latitude E6420 with the NVS 4200M video card. So it's very much the special olympics of gaming. Needed to dial it down to 720p to enjoy a mostly stable 60 fps. :D I don't remember the last time I had to do something like this.

I know its the antithesis of the thread, but nothing.

Thirty years of gaming almost every day, this weekend will be three weeks in a row I haven't logged a single minute.

back to playing Serious Sam HD for like the 500th time. Game never gets old.

I haven't played a new game in ages. Newest game I think I have is cyberpunk.

I love Doom - what's the appeal of this versus regular PC Doom?
I love the music and sound design. The title screen loadup and music are awesome and epic. It has lots of music and sound effects changes which are interesting and set a different mood. The lighting is also different, and the whole experience is a bit darker and moodier. It has some exclusive content as well like some unique monsters and secret levels. And there are a bunch of other small changes. I love regular PC Doom as well, but this is something different and interesting -- a different flavor of the Doom experience.

The PsyDoom port also supports PSX Final Doom which is nice. I played PSX Doom and Final Doom on original Playstation hardware sometime ago with a controller, so I can really appreciate the improvements the dev has made with this emulator. The framerate is uncapped and you have solid keyboard and mouse support automatically. PSX Final Doom actually supports a PlayStation mouse on PSX/PS2, but the support wasn't implemented properly with the game's strafing controls so it's not really worth using. I think mods and custom levels are supported on PsyDoom as well, though I've not tried these yet. There is a thread dedicated to the port on the Doom World forum with a lot more information.

Just bought Prodeus on STEAM. What a fantastic game, didn't think I'd get back into fast paced shooters at my age any more (38). I think I prefer it to Doom Etenral too, all the pros of classic Doom, with modern visuals, cool music and way better weapon feedback and sounds. Very fast paced too and I am surprised with how an MX Master 3 can wham through it as if it was a gaming mouse, though I think the oled gsync monitor at 144Hz is helping massively with latency as GFE reports under 5ms render latency.

I need to change the enemy art style to sprites too for that extra nostalgic vibe.

Prodeus looks fun. I've come across it before but completely forgot it existed. I will definitely try it at some point. Lately only ego shooter games with good exploration and atmosphere can keep my attention. Seems I may not be the only one like this judging by the last few posts :abigsmile:.

CULTIC (a Blood-like FPS) chapter one comes out in just two days. I'm looking forward to it! I enjoyed the demo level, and chapter one will include ten levels and three survival levels.

Working my way through Castlevania 3. What a game! I've beat the game for my first time doing the Alucard path last year. Last time I made the mistake of playing the USA version. Turns out the Famicom (Japanese NES) had a better music chip than the USA's Nintendo Entertainment System. The music this time around really slaps. And it's hard as shit! I'd have pulled my hair out over this game if I played it as a kid. I'm hopelessly stuck at stage 6...

Working my way through Castlevania 3. What a game! I've beat the game for my first time doing the Alucard path last year. Last time I made the mistake of playing the USA version. Turns out the Famicom (Japanese NES) had a better music chip than the USA's Nintendo Entertainment System. The music this time around really slaps. And it's hard as shit! I'd have pulled my hair out over this game if I played it as a kid. I'm hopelessly stuck at stage 6...

Are you using an emulator or original hardware? I'm just curious :asearch:. The NES had some groundbreaking games. One of these days I hope to pick one up at a thrift store or something since I've barely touched that system. PC, Gameboy, and then SNES were my first real gaming experiences as far as I remember. I'd like to try out the old Mega Man, Castlevania, Kirby, and Mario games among others at some point. Perhaps it's best to just emulate these days. Using the original hardware might be more fun though ;).

Ghost of Tsushima
Senuas Sacrafice turned off Post Processing hurts my eyes can't wait for OLED. was re-downloading a bunch of games on Epic that I never seem to get around to playing.

Last edited:
Thinking about playing some co-op with my son in Space Hulk: Deathwing Enhanced Edition.
Never played the Enhanced Edition before, so looking forward to the DLC's.

Are you using an emulator or original hardware? I'm just curious :asearch:. The NES had some groundbreaking games. One of these days I hope to pick one up at a thrift store or something since I've barely touched that system. PC, Gameboy, and then SNES were my first real gaming experiences as far as I remember. I'd like to try out the old Mega Man, Castlevania, Kirby, and Mario games among others at some point. Perhaps it's best to just emulate these days. Using the original hardware might be more fun though ;).
Emulator - my original hardware doesn't work too well anymore. The AC input is bent and requires a book to prop the plug to keep it turned on. But it's sensitive and a simple bump can turn it off. I was too young to experience the NES as it released but I did get to experience the SNES. NES games in comparison were very hard and confusing. I didn't begin to appreciate NES games until I've grown older. But I really do appreciate them now. There's something to be said for games with tight controls and punishing yet rewarding gameplay. Many modern games today lack these fundamental gameplay elements. The Dark Souls series might be the most modern series to capture that magical feeling, but even the Souls games feel clunky compared to the classic NES titles.

For me the main upside to emulation is that RetroArch has RetroAchievements. It tracks your progress and even lets other players know if you used cheats or savestates (which I try not to).
Scorn on PC Game Pass
Excited to play this! Having said that, it's pretty weird that the only exciting title this year is an indie FPS. PC gaming feels so...dead. It still makes a bunch of money clearly but it's clearly a shadow of its former self.

Back