What are you nerds playing this weekend?

Borderlands 3 Directors Cut which is the final DLC for Season 2 pass released today April 8th.

going to shelve Outriders until it's more stable.

Finished up It Takes Two with the wife over the weekend. Really fun co-op game for you and the spouse or kids if any of you have them to play with, or just friends online on the same platform (can play between PS4/PS5 or Xbone/XS, but not between PS/Xbox/PC) and only one person needs to own the game as well.

Playing through FF7 remake now since it was a free game last month on PS+. Never been big on FF games and only played partially through FF7 as a kid, but this game's soundtrack does its best to hit that nostalgia cord hard. Too bad they watered it down so much with generic side-quests though and the combat is pretty clunky IMO with the partially-real-time combat system. Still seems to be worth playing though though to me.

Didn't play MK11...but I did play some Street Fighter V in an attempt to get back into the game for local interest. There are lots of small things about the game that annoy me, but I'm trying to give it another chance since it's changed some since I last played. Really a lot of it I think comes down to my style of play, that worked well in SFIV but doesn't suit SFV as much. I played Bison a lot in 4, and have been playing him in 5, but I don't think I'm playing him especially well and am more so just getting wins because he is very good in SFV lol. Maybe picking a character more suited to me will help me appreciate the game more.

Playing through FF7 remake now since it was a free game last month on PS+. Never been big on FF games and only played partially through FF7 as a kid, but this game's soundtrack does its best to hit that nostalgia cord hard. Too bad they watered it down so much with generic side-quests though and the combat is pretty clunky IMO with the partially-real-time combat system. Still seems to be worth playing though though to me.

That was my impression of the remake from the reviews I'd seen...being a fan of the original, it's kind of disappointing to see it get filler, but it does some interesting things that will make me still probably play it when it eventually becomes available on PC.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Didn't play MK11...but I did play some Street Fighter V in an attempt to get back into the game for local interest. There are lots of small things about the game that annoy me, but I'm trying to give it another chance since it's changed some since I last played. Really a lot of it I think comes down to my style of play, that worked well in SFIV but doesn't suit SFV as much. I played Bison a lot in 4, and have been playing him in 5, but I don't think I'm playing him especially well and am more so just getting wins because he is very good in SFV lol. Maybe picking a character more suited to me will help me appreciate the game more.

Bison is a monster online. It's really hard to react to his dashes and his lockdown sequences lead to big damage if someone tries to interrupt. What's funny is that he's actually been nerfed a little vs. some prior seasons. At the very least he can no longer just mash HK over and over trying to bait a crush counter. I still hate seeing him online, though. He, Ken, and Abigail are the worst with button vs. grab mix-ups aka. the "online 50/50." If you're a Bison player from the older games, Balrog and Kolin might be up your alley. Lots of pestering with mid-range pokes that can convert in to decent damage.

Bison is a monster online. It's really hard to react to his dashes and his lockdown sequences lead to big damage if someone tries to interrupt. What's funny is that he's actually been nerfed a little vs. some prior seasons. At the very least he can no longer just mash HK over and over trying to bait a crush counter. I still hate seeing him online, though. He, Ken, and Abigail are the worst with button vs. grab mix-ups aka. the "online 50/50." If you're a Bison player from the older games, Balrog and Kolin might be up your alley. Lots of pestering with mid-range pokes that can convert in to decent damage.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll give them both a try, also looking at maybe playing Chun. About the grabs, totally -- I feel like I get away with far too many dash up throws just because it's online and his dash is fast (and throw range is good).

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll give them both a try, also looking at maybe playing Chun. About the grabs, totally -- I feel like I get away with far too many dash up throws just because it's online and his dash is fast (and throw range is good).

Yeah, the warp effect goes through a lot of normals and it's natural to be scared of Bison's buttons. Ken's the same way. You never know if he's going to run up and grab or go ham instead. Chun Li is strong and has a lot of good approaches. She can wreck people just using HP and HK alone. She's also good at using her air lightning legs to change trajectory and break people down with pressure and chip. I play Zangief almost exclusively and she's one of the only opponents I find myself using lots of V-Reversals against. If you don't, she can maul you. A lot of people try to fireball zone with her, but IMO that's a mistake.

If I’m not done with them quickly the Just Cause 3 DLCs. I wrapped the game after dropping it about halfway or so in 2019. Open world games tend to be a one or two per year (if that) mood for me and when I first played I didn’t have the itch. That said, solid improvement over 2 graphically, with more traversal options, more destruction options, and just more to do. I am not going to 100% everything and instead finish the challenges I enjoy (wing suit courses), wrap the DLCs and put it away.

If I do clear the DLCs then Tales from the Borderlands is in the hopper next. Blackguards is still occupying the tactics slot and I play a couple battles a week. The handcrafted scenarios have yet to get boring though there are some QOL issues that keep me from getting more into the game (which may have been purposeful or I’m missing a tooltip or hint somewhere). For instance, you can't rotate the camera which is the designer's decision and can be a bit annoying. The other issue is that it's hard to tell what hexes have hazards in them which does matter because they can potentially debilitate your party and screw you over. There are hazard hexes which are obvious and then there's some which I literally can't differentiate from the others and result in a penalty.

Last edited:
Gonna continue playing through the PS4 remaster of the Last of Us. I've never gotten all the collectables before and I don't have a GPU at the moment. Seems like a good time for a completionist run. The early sections of the game are miserable and very stealth-heavy, but I'm having a lot more fun now that I have better gear and I'm fighting humans, too.

Kind of working on getting rid of some of my classic game stuff -- recently having sold my GameCube. Was looking at selling my SNES, but I'm going to visit my parents this weekend and take it to see if my lil' niece and nephew are interested in it at all. They are pretty spoiled lol, so they may not pay it any mind, but I hope they do! I'll probably be demoing Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country a lot tonight.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla. Sequel to one of the worst games (IMO) ever, but was convinced to try it. Certainly a big step up in the grinding although still grindy, but at least the game so far doesn't seem to be centered around paid boosters. The problem is the game is extremely boring. So many tiny tasks and no coherent structure to the story missions. Have a feeling I might give up this weekend and move onto older games like DMC or Mafia 2 that I have sitting in my backlog.

I've hard about the DMC series, but which one are you all playing that is preferable?

I've hard about the DMC series, but which one are you all playing that is preferable?

I played DMC5 around a year or two ago. Was fun but didn't know it very well. Over the top silly story, fun gameplay that can be complex if you know how to do but won't punish you if you don't. I have the DMC reboot from 2010 or so which is a spin off that I have yet to play.

Been hitting Far Cry 5 pretty [H]ard the last few weeks. Been a great game though I gotta admit the ending I ended up with was lame.

Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts. I think it was in the humble bundle. I am quite enjoying it. Mechanics are solid and it plays to its strengths.

I just wish it had the skeletal/organ kills. I havent played a sniper game in years, but I remember the WW2 games and loved shooting the balls off Nazis.

RE2 Remake.
I didn't really like the demo, but now that I actually started playing from the beginning it seems a lot better. My only complaint is that often it feels like walking around aimlessly until I bump into something that can be used to progress the game.
Plus there are tons of cosmetic mods available for the game that can make it more interesting. Too bad more often than not devs opt for microtransactions instead of allowing modding.

I ended up blasting through the JC3 DLCs before the weekend. Therefore, I wrapped up choosing my own adventure in Tales from the Borderlands, started achievement hunting with Into the Breach, and cracked through the four missions of MDK I had left.

I can’t believe MDK got a sequel and that it was leagues beyond the original in every possible way. I like MDK 2, and going back to the original was just jarring.

Gonna try Alien Isolation since it's free via Epic's store. If it sucks, will probably replay Resident Evil 7 in preparation for Village in a couple weeks.

Reactions: maro
like this
Grim Dawn is on the plate. I don’t like the way my current spec plays (first time player, just cruising my way through a normal first run, no looking at build guides) which means I’ll be spending time looking at tool tips and deciding what to try next.

I don’t know that I’ll be putting time into anything else. The core of FEZ didn’t grab me which means I may call it done at the new game mark even though the game itself is pushing players to go NG+ and collect the other 50% of items for the true ending.

Reactions: maro
like this
Gonna try Alien Isolation since it's free via Epic's store. If it sucks, will probably replay Resident Evil 7 in preparation for Village in a couple weeks.
I have it and was enjoying it but at some point early on before I've even seen a alien I ragequit and haven't played since. That's on me though, do not let it deter you. I need to revisit it myself.

It is a sneak/stealth type game and you'll find yourself avoiding not only alien but human. IIRC it was good on immersion factor (sights/sounds/atmosphere), but do take my 3.6 hours playtime with some grain of salt. If you're a fan of the original movie the Last Survivor DLC lets you pllay as Ripley trying to escape the Nostromo.

I have it and was enjoying it but at some point early on before I've even seen a alien I ragequit and haven't played since. That's on me though, do not let it deter you. I need to revisit it myself.

It is a sneak/stealth type game and you'll find yourself avoiding not only alien but human. IIRC it was good on immersion factor (sights/sounds/atmosphere), but do take my 3.6 hours playtime with some grain of salt. If you're a fan of the original movie the Last Survivor DLC lets you pllay as Ripley trying to escape the Nostromo.

Hmmmm. That's normally not up my alley, either. I don't care for forced stealth missions, let alone a whole game of 'em. Guess I'll find out tomorrow!

FEZ on the Switch
Battle Kingdom and Soul Force on C64

(my C64 setup :p )

...via MiSTer

078563B4-9133-47C4-B392-DDF70D78C0AB.jpeg

Alien: Isolation *shudder* That game gave me the chills. BTW, if you don't want to deal with the Xenomorph, there's a mod that hides her so you only have to worry about the andriods and the face whatever they're called. I believe there's a thread about in the PC Gaming section. I played with both the Xeno and without the Xeno, and it's better playing hide 'n seek with the Xeno. More tension,anxiety,stress,etc.

I am playing The Division 2, Manhunt: Saturn. Also SHD watch level 831/1000.

I gave Alien Isolation a shot and it's just not my kind of game. It seemed to be a decently made game (more or less), it's just not for me.
I'm going back and replaying Resident Evil 7 to gear up for Village in a couple weeks. I almost forgot how brief the game actually is. Even moving at a snail's pace, you're really only looking at 8-10 hours tops. It's arguably shorter than the RE3 remake. Luckily the DLC pack (w/ two large add-on missions) is pretty robust.

I gave Alien Isolation a shot and it's just not my kind of game. It seemed to be a decently made game (more or less), it's just not for me.
I'm going back and replaying Resident Evil 7 to gear up for Village in a couple weeks. I almost forgot how brief the game actually is. Even moving at a snail's pace, you're really only looking at 8-10 hours tops. It's arguably shorter than the RE3 remake. Luckily the DLC pack (w/ two large add-on missions) is pretty robust.

I loved it, but I do wish that defending oneself was just a bit more of an option in some circumstances. I understand survival horror, and the need to generate the tension, but I prefer one step above helpless :D

That said, I also really enjoyed SOMA and you really can’t defend yourself AT ALL in that game.

Still, I prefer the System Shock approach. Plenty of weapons, a capable character, lots of skill options, but scarce resources to make you think on your feet. But not so far that you’re forced into one way to play ala Doom Eternal.

Uncharted 4 mostly, and a little bit of God of War (2018). Uncharted 4 really needs a 60 FPS patch.

Far Cry 5. Love the story, game play, hate the ending. Beautiful land, hunting, fishing, combat, it is an all around good, not great, game.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Uncharted 4 mostly, and a little bit of God of War (2018). Uncharted 4 really needs a 60 FPS patch.

Big time. It suffers from the same issues that Bloodborne does with odd frametimes, too. Both of those games legit hurt my eyes for the first few minutes until I adjust to playing them. I'm not sure if it's whatever interlacing they're using, the frametimes, or some visual effect, but it legit bothers my eyes to play them. Good game, otherwise. Pretty uneven with the storytelling vs. shootouts, but the last 40% of the game is killer.

Big time. It suffers from the same issues that Bloodborne does with odd frametimes, too. Both of those games legit hurt my eyes for the first few minutes until I adjust to playing them. I'm not sure if it's whatever interlacing they're using, the frametimes, or some visual effect, but it legit bothers my eyes to play them. Good game, otherwise. Pretty uneven with the storytelling vs. shootouts, but the last 40% of the game is killer.
Yeah it’s pretty jarring when first starting up Uncharted 4, more so than other games running at low fps. You eventually adjust and just carry on playing and having fun, but it takes a bit.

Trying to finish Nier Automata a couple times to get through the endings before I jump into Returnal and RE8. Might get the platinum on that before I actually buy Returnal or RE8 bc I have a busy weekend ahead so I don't get myself into a backlog

Back