What are you nerds playing this weekend?

Beat The Witcher 3 three times already, don't have the money to buy a new game, think I'll take a trip back in time and delve into Diablo I and II.

4 day long weekend for me, so probably a mix of Donkey Kong Country 3, Torchlight 2, Borderlands 2 and a mishmash of other games.

Many moons ago when Modern Warfare 2 came out I bought it for the Xbox 360 and I got every achievement. I picked it up for $10 during the summer sale this year (and I think its actually on sale now too) and started playing it again. I've decided to go for all of the achievements again. I'm about 3/4 through the campaign on veteran so I'll be finishing that up this weekend, plus I'll be trying to knock out as many special ops as I can.

I'm having my first go at Battlegrounds this weekend. I played my first round last night, just to make sure my PC would run it and it does! Although rest assured I will be upgrading to a 1050TI next week, because while it runs it the graphics are atrocious, lol.

Finally got around to starting The Witness. Man there are some challenging puzzles but damn is it satisfying when you figure them out.

Many moons ago when Modern Warfare 2 came out I bought it for the Xbox 360 and I got every achievement. I picked it up for $10 during the summer sale this year (and I think its actually on sale now too) and started playing it again. I've decided to go for all of the achievements again. I'm about 3/4 through the campaign on veteran so I'll be finishing that up this weekend, plus I'll be trying to knock out as many special ops as I can.

i'm one of the few people on this forum that really liked MW2 campaign and multiplayer. good game imo, though the last time i tried to play MP (several years ago) it was a hackfest.

I seem to have started playing Serpent Isle, and a heavily patched up version of Ascension. I've been wanting to play an Ultima game for a while, and now I'm playing two of them. :D Guess that's what I'm doing this weekend.

Forza 7! I played through the intro races and one "season" or whatever they call them. Picked a Golf R (hopefully my future car)

edit: Gotta have to try out the Battlefront II beta

Last edited:
Finally got around to starting The Witness. Man there are some challenging puzzles but damn is it satisfying when you figure them out.
Take notes! Some pointers on how to solve some of the earlier puzzles, and types, goes a long way as they build on each other at the end (but not in a linear way).

Played Battlefront II beta last night. Graphics are amazing! I still suck too much to enjoy multiplayer :(

I think I might give Cuphead a go this weekend - I'm not always that thrilled with these uber-hard games, but the art style and soundtrack are pretty enticing. If I end up ragequitting, then I'll probably give Stardew Valley a try - people say it's relaxing.

I just started playing this week, how have you noticed cheating?

I usually play squad, so you can usually out of four people tell where a shot comes from, have had quite a few games this week where you are inside a building no openings for a shot on you, and someone will squad wipe you with a UMP and you don’t hear the shots. Just through the wall somehow. A lot of the names are in Chinese, seems the Asian servers got overloaded, so some of the cheating has spilled in the NA servers.

i'm one of the few people on this forum that really liked MW2 campaign and multiplayer. good game imo, though the last time i tried to play MP (several years ago) it was a hackfest.
I enjoyed the campaign as well. It's definitely better than the crap they're putting out now.

It turns out that there are two special ops and one achievement that require two players which I completely forgot about. My best friend had the game on 360 (which is why I got it in the first place) so I had someone to do them with. Because I'm an idiot I have two steam accounts and it turns out my old account had a copy of MW2. I installed MW2 on my old gaming PC and was able to bounce between the two to get everything done. According to the in game stats, it only took me 15 hours and 15 minutes to 100% everything. I honestly thought it would take longer than that. I remember struggling on the 360 but life is so much easier with keyboard/mouse.

Played Battlefront II beta last night. Graphics are amazing! I still suck too much to enjoy multiplayer :(

Awe man... I just noticed NVIDIA in my Facebook feed, talking about the Star Wars Battlefront 2 beta. That means I missed a few days already. Luckily they extended the beta until Wednesday.

Epic games F2P game called Fortnite ( a Battle Royale copy of PUBG ).
Pretty fun. First night I have played.

upload_2017-10-16_22-30-25.png

Just finished up Dying Light: The Following, which was a very good game. Now playing Mass Effect: Andromeda, which was recently added to Origin Access.

Need to get around to completing Cuphead.

I need to do that too. I had a nice little gaming roll going for about a month, and then all of a sudden I got busy again. I have about 3 or 4 games that I need to finish, and Cuphead is one of them. (I'm probably only a third of the way in though...)

I finally picked up Friday the 13th.

Holy hell did it take forever to finally play as Jason. First time playing him I killed them all. Well worth the wait. Muahah. Definitely going to play this through the weekend.

Metal Gear Solid 5, The Phantom Pain: a rant. I have grown to hate this game so much. On one hand I can't wait for it to end, but on the other hand I've sunk so much time into it already that I feel a need to complete it as close to 100% as possible so I don't ever have to do it again.

It's like they took a really good 30-50 hour game, and inflated it to take over 1000 hours to complete. There are only like 6 different mission types, and those are copy/pasted a hundred times each, so while the actual action gameplay is ok (nowhere near as good as Far Cry, similar but just barely passable), it gets instantly repetitive and tedious almost instantly, then keeps repeating long long after that.

It has the worst save system of all time. No manual saves at all, only location-based checkpoints dotted randomly around the map in really un-predictable positions, and it often doesn't save after you complete side-quests, so you may finish a task, then die or need to re-load randomly somewhere else, and have your progress all reset.

Horrendously badly ported PC controls and UI (some of which may actually be even worse on a controller due to lack of mods). But you'll get used to that eventually.

The main thing I've grown to hate is the ridiculous arbitrary wait times built into all the character/team/base development tasks. Every time you level up a piece of equipment, base location, or send your army squads on missions, you have to wait somewhere between 18 minutes to 7 days for the task to complete. That means the game becomes less something you play, and more something you'll have to leave running AFK for days or weeks on end just to get your background activities to complete.

Steam currently says I'm 648 hours into this game (at about 60% completion). I'm guessing actual action gameplay is at maybe 40 hours so far, and another 20-40 hours of doing painfully boring management tasks in the menu's, and the rest of that is all just leaving it running AFK. I'm starting to worry it's going to wear out my GPU prematurely, because while I can turn off my monitor while I'm not actually playing, best I can tell the GPU keeps rendering anyways, and it's not exactly a slouch on the eye candy.

At least the story and cut-scenes are pretty good. Although being weird and Japanese, I find almost every single character unlikable and of extremely questionable motives. At least you can tell that a lot of thought and time went into crafting the story and lore around the game. It's just too bad they didn't put more thought and testing into the actual game-play to remove more of the mind-numbing repetition.

Oh, and at least the PC version is somewhat mod-able. I've already found an auto-hotkeys script that fixes the annoying lack of toggle on the binoculars, and am using an infinite suppressor & ammo mod ('cause in real life suppressors last tens of thousands of rounds, so having them constantly wear out is just stupid, and also only being able to carry 20 sniper rounds at a time was infuriating). I don't want to wait a thousand hours for this game to be fun to play. My patience for this ran out quite a while ago.

It just occurred to me, maybe there's a mod that disables all the timers for background tasks and makes things happen instantly. That'd make this game a massive amount less annoying. Gotta go look for that next...

TL-DR? MGSV sucks. Don't buy or play it unless you want to kill a thousand hours of your life that you'll never get back. Far Cry 2/3 come to mind as being similar but vastly more fun to play.

Edit - Yep, there's a No More Timers mod. Why the hell didn't I look into this 400 hours ago?

Last edited:
Metal Gear Solid 5, The Phantom Pain: a rant. I have grown to hate this game so much. On one hand I can't wait for it to end, but on the other hand I've sunk so much time into it already that I feel a need to complete it as close to 100% as possible so I don't ever have to do it again.

It's like they took a really good 30-50 hour game, and inflated it to take over 1000 hours to complete. There are only like 6 different mission types, and those are copy/pasted a hundred times each, so while the actual action gameplay is ok (nowhere near as good as Far Cry, similar but just barely passable), it gets instantly repetitive and tedious almost instantly, then keeps repeating long long after that.

It has the worst save system of all time. No manual saves at all, only location-based checkpoints dotted randomly around the map in really un-predictable positions, and it often doesn't save after you complete side-quests, so you may finish a task, then die or need to re-load randomly somewhere else, and have your progress all reset.

Horrendously badly ported PC controls and UI (some of which may actually be even worse on a controller due to lack of mods). But you'll get used to that eventually.

The main thing I've grown to hate is the ridiculous arbitrary wait times built into all the character/team/base development tasks. Every time you level up a piece of equipment, base location, or send your army squads on missions, you have to wait somewhere between 18 minutes to 7 days for the task to complete. That means the game becomes less something you play, and more something you'll have to leave running AFK for days or weeks on end just to get your background activities to complete.

Steam currently says I'm 648 hours into this game (at about 60% completion). I'm guessing actual action gameplay is at maybe 40 hours so far, and another 20-40 hours of doing painfully boring management tasks in the menu's, and the rest of that is all just leaving it running AFK. I'm starting to worry it's going to wear out my GPU prematurely, because while I can turn off my monitor while I'm not actually playing, best I can tell the GPU keeps rendering anyways, and it's not exactly a slouch on the eye candy.

At least the story and cut-scenes are pretty good. Although being weird and Japanese, I find almost every single character unlikable and of extremely questionable motives. At least you can tell that a lot of thought and time went into crafting the story and lore around the game. It's just too bad they didn't put more thought and testing into the actual game-play to remove more of the mind-numbing repetition.

Oh, and at least the PC version is somewhat mod-able. I've already found an auto-hotkeys script that fixes the annoying lack of toggle on the binoculars, and am using an infinite suppressor & ammo mod ('cause in real life suppressors last tens of thousands of rounds, so having them constantly wear out is just stupid, and also only being able to carry 20 sniper rounds at a time was infuriating). I don't want to wait a thousand hours for this game to be fun to play. My patience for this ran out quite a while ago.

It just occurred to me, maybe there's a mod that disables all the timers for background tasks and makes things happen instantly. That'd make this game a massive amount less annoying. Gotta go look for that next...

TL-DR? MGSV sucks. Don't buy or play it unless you want to kill a thousand hours of your life that you'll never get back. Far Cry 2/3 come to mind as being similar but vastly more fun to play.

Edit - Yep, there's a No More Timers mod. Why the hell didn't I look into this 400 hours ago?

Agreed. But that can be said for most games these days, such as Nier Automata. The real missions are good and have decent enough variety, and the side scenarios are good enough. They need to allow those to be replayed though. But you're right on all your accounts. The problem is the upgrade system is shit, lots of other mediocre gameplay limitations, and more. Splinter Cell (the old games) interrogation blew that shitty system that MGSV had out of the water as an example.

Destiny 2 finally releases on PC today so that will be my go to for the next week or so at least.

does this post need to exist for this weekend? Destiny 2. A shit ton of destiny 2. all week, all weekend.

Back