What are you guys using to Image Windows 7 x64?

Nate7311

2[H]4U
The last time I got deep into imaging was in the XP / Ghost days, and had it down to a science. Now that Windows 7 and x64 is here, I understand that older mentality doesn't cut it anymore. I've done some preliminary research down WDS and WIM images, is that the reccomended path at this point? If so, anyone have a primer?

Last edited:
MS Solutions
------------------------
WDS
SCCM
LiteTouch
MDT
ZeroTouch

Other Solutions
--------------------------
Ghost
Altiris
LanDesk

I have used both WDS and Dell Kace.
I lean a little bit more towards WDS as my preference. It's pretty simple to setup and configure.

WDS
SCCM

Have used both
Not involved in the design or implementation.
but after they are setup both are easy to use.

I am stuck with SCCM, then again when 700+ PCs are involved, the less I have to manually install the better. Luckily I was given the rights to make our image and customize it as well as the GPO's that are/will be in place.

WDS. They say its easy and it is, but to fully automate and get the perfect image, it's a pita. Once you figure it out and get it setup, it's awesome. I've spent the last 6 months learning wds and building out corporate image (one image for all devices) and it handles the driver part wonderfully. I could write a whole book on all the little quirks and workarounds I've had to do.

Definitely WDS for that many machines. To improve efficiency and if you are frequently reformatting you will want to use WAIK to create some unattend files to take care of the miscellaneous.

MDT is not a standalone tool, it integrates extremely well with both WDS and SCCM (or both at the same time!)

I recommend MDT with WDS.

MDT is a standalone tool, but it also integrates extremely well with both WDS and SCCM (or both at the same time!)

I recommend MDT with WDS.

I corrected that for you... MDT can be used without either WDS or SCCM. However, you cannot PXE boot without WDS. And ZTI (Zero Touch Installation) is only available with SCCM.

I use WDS or MDT for my small business customers...at my day job we use Altiris

clonezilla won't work? what's WDS? Windows Deployment Services right?

I corrected that for you... MDT can be used without either WDS or SCCM. However, you cannot PXE boot without WDS. And ZTI (Zero Touch Installation) is only available with SCCM.

What you wrote/corrected is exactly what I orginally meant, thank you! :p

You might want to look into the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT). MDT is a great utility that can greatly assist you in the deployment process. MDT acts as a common console for many of Microsoft’s free deployment tools and allows you to be as simple or complex as you need it to be. This means that you can easily deploy a thick image (all software, drivers, updates and settings already in the image) quickly and easily, or you can deploy a thin image (just Windows) and have MDT install software, drivers, and updates after Windows is deployed. You can even integrate MDT into WDS to streamline your deployment further.

A couple of videos to help you become more familiar with MDT are:
• Deployment Workbench in Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2010 – 4:21
• Part 1: Building the Deployment Environment – 9:56
• Alphabet Soup Deployment: Understanding MDT, WDS, MAP, ACT, SCCM, and USMT – 52:41

Finally, there are many more videos and articles that will help you get up to speed on deploying Windows 7 on the Deliver and Deploy Windows 7 page of the Springboard Series on TechNet.

Hope this helps get you pointed in the right direction!

David
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Back