What are you guys using to cool your i7 1366's?

fociz

Limp Gawd
And a side question, can my old zalman 9700 be used on the x58 chipsets?

I'm using a Cogage true spirit with IC Diamond thermal paste.

if you can find the mounting bracket you should be able to use it but it's not gonna work near as well as some of the new coolers.

I'm also using the Cogage True Spirit with two Scythe GentleTyphoon 120 mm Silent Case Fans on it in push/pull(I know, I know, it's negligible). I also just got rid of the older retention mount for the new bolt through kit. I got to say, I'm loving this thing more and more now.

This thing is idling at 73 degrees(room is 72) Fahrenheit(23 Celsius) right now. woohoo. That's with an i7 930 OC'd to 4.2ghz at 1.35(+-).

Wow, Kyle was right about this thing. Although mine originally came with the older retention mount and it sucked(all newer ones have the better bolt through version).

1. Best bang for the buck = Cogage True Spirit with a Scythe GentleTyphoon 120 mm Silent Case Fan

2. Best bang for lots of buck = Noctua NH-D14 (maybe this with two Scythe GentleTyphoon 120 mm Silent Case Fans too)

Pretty happy with my Cogage True Spirit. You can see a performance comparison here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1437525

Mine has the new bolt kit which is clamps down pretty tightly. I did replace the stock fan with a Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm. Much more air pressure than the stock fan. If you have a well cooled case you might not need this. I have a small mid tower.

that zalman 9700 would be okay for a mild overclock (3.2ghz) but anymore I don't think it could keep up with the heat output.

I personally use a Prolimatech Megahalems. Its one of the top 3 heatsinks for x58 and it keeps my 930 under 70c under full load at 4.2ghz (HT on) with prime95.

I'm also using the Cogage True Spirit with the bolt through bracket. At first I used the push pin bracket and I could move the HS around with very little effort. Now it fits very tightly (I got the thermalright 1366 bolt through kit), and the temps. dropped 1 or 2 degrees/ a core. I have a mild OC at 3.35 w/ stock voltage, and the system Idles at between 38 and 40 degrees C on all four cores. Also, I like the silence of this fan compared to my old system ( 939 with stock HSF running at 100%). I'm really happy with it and think for the money it is a really good buy.

I use the Noctua nh-u12p se2 Comes with 2 high quality fans. Nice and silent. It works fine for my mild overclocks

NH-D14 with 2 Nexus 120mm fans (rebadged Yate Loons). I was using Indigo Xtreme as my TIM but had to pull the HS off and haven't been able to order another kit yet so I'm currently using the stock NT-H1 TIM (which isn't bad).

Thor's Hammer keeps my 920 10-20*c cooler than stock. Ingames I was getting 80*c on stock cooling, now it's around or under 60*c.

I'm not on LGA1366 but I thought I'd put another vote in for the Megahalems. Keeps my setup at <60c under load. with just one scythe sflex F 120mm fan.

Thermalright Ultima 90. Core temps stays in the mid 40s...

It's a "baby" version of the TRUE 120.

d_3679.jpg

Prolimatech megahalems with 2 1900 RPM Scythe slipstream fans in a push pull config + Reobus fan controller. I used to be a big TRUE advocate but now prefer the Prolimatech Megahalems. Even though the TRUE performs slightly better (1-2 degrees under load on my system) the mounting system on the Megahalems makes it my first choice. I heard the Venomous X has a new mounting system possibly making it a better option than the Megahalems but I haven't tried it yet.

Another vote for the Cogage TRUE Spirit. Sweet price, awesome performance, and the newest revision includes the bolt through kit that we early adopters had to buy.

*Disclaimer: I'm using an i7 860, though I don't know of any temperature differences between 1156 and 1366.

There's a good HardOCP review thread testing different coolers against eachother and giving a cost per extra degree cooler over the stock intel heatsink using a standard fan with all the different heatsinks. Another review is available about Thermal Paste too if you google it.

Myself, I'm using a Promalitech Megahalem Rev B. I wanted to use a Thermaltake Ultra 120 extreme as I had one for my LGA775 system that worked great but ... /sigh ... it was out of stock everywhere I looked when I built my 1366 system.

When I had mine I was using a RX360+DDC3.2(top)+Heatkiller 3.0 LC and I wasn't limited by heat :D

I'd vote another for the Cogage TRUE Spirit while it can be had at the $35-40 range. I've had great results overclocking my 920 C0 chip to 3.7 using somewhere around 1.28vcore and getting 40*C idle temps.

To add, I'll be adding a Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm soon enough to hopefully drop it another 2-3*C for the summer time but at $20 shipped seems expensive.

Back