What are you guys using for Antivirus protection these days?

^^ Yeh, besides the cache server and email scanner (they are not running/installed). The usages for the rest in that post are way higher than what I see. That's good because if it was like that post, I wouldn't be impressed.

You're probably the only person left on the planet who thinks AVG doesn't use many resources, unless you're talking about version 6 from eons ago. The new version 9 average about 85-90 megs on a recent test over at Wilders Security.

A system with 256 megs...using that must be about the equivalent of Chinese water torture, the lightest free AV would be AntiVir, but even without an antivirus I'd rather walk barefoot on a road of broken glass than use a system with only 256 megs.

I see ~15MB in my testing on such a systems.

Here's the review YeOldeStonecat was referring to:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1559339&postcount=2

Are you calculating all 5 AVG processes - avgchsvx.exe, avgcsrvx.exe, avgrsx.exe, avgtray.exe, and avgwdsvc.exe?

I just started testing AVG 9 on a fresh install of Win7 RC (build 7100). immediately after initial install, the memory usage was under 20MB (19.592MB), During a scan, it peaked at roughly 30MB (Dont have an exact ATM, I was watching processes in task manager, and saw avgchsvx.exe spike up to about 11MB during the scan)

I will run some more tests, including some various testing on how well it catches virii, later this week.

I just started testing AVG 9 on a fresh install of Win7 RC (build 7100). immediately after initial install, the memory usage was under 20MB (19.592MB), During a scan, it peaked at roughly 30MB (Dont have an exact ATM, I was watching processes in task manager, and saw avgchsvx.exe spike up to about 11MB during the scan)

I will run some more tests, including some various testing on how well it catches virii, later this week.

I just did a test install of XP SP3 and AVG9 with 256MB of RAM and all of AVG's services where just over 100MB combined toward the end of a full scan.

It is definitely clear that if you want to find out how much resources MSE and AVG (or any others) use, it's best to test for yourself as ymmv greatly.

It is definitely clear that if you want to find out how much resources MSE and AVG (or any others) use, it's best to test for yourself as ymmv greatly.

It doesn't exactly bode well for a software when it's resource usage varies as widely as AVG 9 seems to. I'm going to run a basic test on 9 w/XP pro and see how that looks.

Alright so I ran a test on a fresh install of XP, and AVG 9, and, immediately after install, AVG uses 33.528MB of ram. During the initial scan, I saw anywhere between 40 and 50MB being used.

almost 20MB more on XP than on Win 7.

Side note, XP was using only 512MB of ram, win7 was using 1024MB of ram. Both are 32-bit editions. Scan times were quite quick, and I could do general tasks on the system (IE, notepad, calculator, ect.) without noticing much of a slow down, if any, while the scan was taking place.

Meanwhile, MSE on my system (Optimus Prime - Win7 x64 Ultimate RTM) uses a mere 12 when doing real time protection.. jumps to 60-90 when running a scheduled scan.

Alright so I ran a test on a fresh install of XP, and AVG 9, and, immediately after install, AVG uses 33.528MB of ram. During the initial scan, I saw anywhere between 40 and 50MB being used.

almost 20MB more on XP than on Win 7.

Side note, XP was using only 512MB of ram, win7 was using 1024MB of ram. Both are 32-bit editions. Scan times were quite quick, and I could do general tasks on the system (IE, notepad, calculator, ect.) without noticing much of a slow down, if any, while the scan was taking place.

Meanwhile, MSE on my system (Optimus Prime - Win7 x64 Ultimate RTM) uses a mere 12 when doing real time protection.. jumps to 60-90 when running a scheduled scan.

What processes are you counting for each? I'll guess, by the RAM count of each, that you're not counting a few.

Im counting all 9 AVG processes, including the email scanner, and both MSE processes. I noticed, after a full scan, the MsMpEng.exe doesnt drop its memory usage, after a scan. It retains the 70-80MB it gained. It seems, after a reboot, before a scan, it has about 12-14MB of ram, then, after a scheduled scan, it doesnt release the 80 or so it gained.

Honestly though, for a 99% detection rate, with less than 5% false positives (this is from my own testing, so, is not representative of all people, just me.), I dont mind using about 100MB of my 6GB. Even if it was 1 or 2GB, it wouldn't be much of an issue for that kind of protection. I throw about 2000 different vius infected files, and some files that could be false positives due to what they do, and it hasn't missed any of the virii, and only detected 2 or three of the false positives the last time I checked..

Services counted

MSE

MsMpEng.exe
msseces.exe

AVG

avgchsvx.exe
avgsrvx.exe (x2)
avgemc.exe
avgfrw.exe
avgnsx.exe
avgrsx.exe
avgtray.exe
avgwdsvc.exe

Last edited:
More like 94%. I don't worship AV Comparatives but I think they're probably more thorough than you.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report23.pdf

AVG is pretty much a hunk of shit now, I wouldn't trust it.

Not a huge fan of personal attacks. As i stated in my post, this is representative of me, and my personal testings, consisting of what i stated, not everyone else.

They have significant more amounts of time to test than I do, but I don't through every virus known to man at it either. I am willing to bet the 6% of viruses they didn't catch in their testing, were old viruses unable to do much on a modern Vista/7 based system, which, with my testing, is really all I care about, as that is all I, and any of my customers, use.

Not a huge fan of personal attacks.

Are you AVG? You're not, so there were no personal attacks. I think AV Comparatives are probably more thorough than you, that's my opinion. Or is a difference of opinion taken as a personal attack or a slight by you? If so oh well, either way it's still not a personal attack.

Are you AVG? You're not, so there were no personal attacks. I think AV Comparatives are probably more thorough than you, that's my opinion. Or is a difference of opinion taken as a personal attack or a slight by you? If so oh well, either way it's still not a personal attack.

You cannot make an opinion about something you know nothing about. You know nothing about me, or my testing methods, except for what I said about them before. THAT I consider a personal attack, making a judgement about something/one you are not qualified to judge.

Not a huge fan of personal attacks.

How is that a personal attack? You're not AVG. Do you take everything in life so personally?

You cannot make an opinion about something you know nothing about. You know nothing about me, or my testing methods, except for what I said about them before. THAT I consider a personal attack, making a judgement about something/one you are not qualified to judge.

No we don't know anything about you or your testing methods. We do know about AVG though, and it is a pile of crap. And if you want to talk about being "qualified to judge", who said you could say anything good about AVG?

Not sure where it came from but I'm using AntiVirus 2009. It finds everything.

How is that a personal attack? You're not AVG. Do you take everything in life so personally?

No we don't know anything about you or your testing methods. We do know about AVG though, and it is a pile of crap. And if you want to talk about being "qualified to judge", who said you could say anything good about AVG?

I explicitly stated that my comment was based on my own testing, and in no way representative of anyone other than myself. And I wasn't talking about AVG having a 99% detection rate, so I dont know where the comments about AVG are coming from. I merely tested the memory requirements of AVG, i said nothing about its detection rates. The only detection rates I stated anything about were MSEs.

My comment about 'being qualified to judge' was not in regards to any product or service, but to myself personally. He knows nothing about my testing methodology, so has no baseline to judge it from, hence, he is not qualified to judge me as being less thorough than AV-Comparatives. Thats all, I made no judgement about his qualifications as a technology enthusiast, or professional, just his qualifications to judge me, and my abilities, or thoroughness.

And I wasn't talking about AVG having a 99% detection rate, so I dont know where the comments about AVG are coming from.

Honestly though, for a 99% detection rate, with less than 5% false positives (this is from my own testing, so, is not representative of all people, just me.), I dont mind using about 100MB of my 6GB.

You weren't very specific. In your direct response to me you made no mention of the fact that you weren't talking about AVG. No clue if you really were talking about AVG and now you're back pedaling, don't know. Doesn't matter.

Not a huge fan of personal attacks. As i stated in my post, this is representative of me, and my personal testings, consisting of what i stated, not everyone else.

They have significant more amounts of time to test than I do, but I don't through every virus known to man at it either. I am willing to bet the 6% of viruses they didn't catch in their testing, were old viruses unable to do much on a modern Vista/7 based system, which, with my testing, is really all I care about, as that is all I, and any of my customers, use.

AVG Free 9 baby, all the way. Spyware Doctor or Malwarebytes for spyware.

Not sure where it came from but I'm using AntiVirus 2009. It finds everything.

uh what? lol your using a antivirus program that your not sure where it came from? meaning you didnt install it yourself? did it already come on the pc? lol is it a rogue virus remover? lol

uh what? lol your using a antivirus program that your not sure where it came from? meaning you didnt install it yourself? did it already come on the pc? lol is it a rogue virus remover? lol

I sure hope he is joking or he isn't [H].

I think you missed the sarcasm.

On topic I switched from Avira to MSSE just to give it a try, I do notice a full scan takes forever.

I have lately seen MSE misbehave with a large compressed .exe file.

The file is the Stalker Complete 2009 1.4.1 installer, a mod for Stalker Shadows of Chernobyl; it is almost 600MB with many compressed texture files. There is no malware in the file; MSE just goes bananas and wants to scan it whenever you do anything with it.

When I was running WinXP with MSE, I dragged that exe onto the desktop with no problem, but then right-click-dragged it into another folder and it took MSE 10 minutes to allow the drag command to get to the contextual menu where it asks you whether you want to copy or move it. I haven't tried it with Win7 yet, but someone else complained of similar behavior with that file using Win7 and MSE.

Used Kaspersky Interwebz Security( free after mail in ) for yrs. It updates hourly, light on resources to.

Norton Internet Security 2003! Came with a motherboard I bought years ago and it still works after reinstallaton.

I think you missed the sarcasm.

On topic I switched from Avira to MSSE just to give it a try, I do notice a full scan takes forever.

Correct.

Now. I always switch between Avira, Eset, and lately G-Data for experimental purposes. But does anyone know of any comprehensive anti-virus review sites besides av-comparatives.org?

Back