What are you guys using for Antivirus protection these days?

I would disagree when the original post is left open to variances and changes over time.

It would be pointless to create a new thread on the exact same subject, because then somebody would inevitably point out "dupe!" with a link to the 5 year old thread.

Plus, well, the subject matter is related to the OP, so it fits in the thread.

That said... I'm using a combination of Avast and Avira.

A new thread would be more relevant to search results that would appear on Google for example. Now if this thread gets popular again and is linked to from Google, the first page is from 2009 and pretty pointless to someone looking for reliable CURRENT antivirus, whereas a fresh and new thread has much more relevance. It's also annoying to the people who are actually visiting the subforums themselves, only to realize the thread is old as hell.

Not a fan of necro posting/bumping either generally.

Webroot. Less than 1mb installer, very little CPU/RAM usage. Can't beat it.

I do not think one is needed unless you engage in risky behavior like rouge downloads.

If you use a good safe browser like Opera or Firefox(there are many others) and only download well known programs that many people use and are comfortable with I don't see a need.

But if you like to try all them little programs that do this or that and you find yourself searching for odd ball programs and or you DL things you shouldn't be then maybe you need one.

try Panda..http://www.pandasecurity.com/usa/

I had been using Avast, but the latest update had so many popups about my browser extensions, and I was paying attention and clicked one to get it off the screen and made my browser almost useless. I want something that works, and I don't want to hold its hand to do so.

I do not think one is needed unless you engage in risky behavior like rouge downloads.

uhhh... you do know legitimate sites have had malware in their ads, right?
It even happened here once; a malicious jar file I think it was? It was a couple years ago.
It's also happened at FoxNews, probably CNN, and other legitimate sites.

So yeah, your statement is completely untrue because it does not require "risky behavior" to get drive-by downloads.

Keeping the discussion in one thread is better for historical perspective.

When choosing an antivirus I like to refer to real world statistics from virustotal.com. Here's a link that shows daily and total detection rate:

https://threatcenter.crdf.fr/?Stats

While ESET NOD32 is still top two it's alarming that at best it's still letting through a quarter of the malware and at worst nearly half. Better to use best practices than rely on antivirus alone such as not having admin rights by default, use ad blocker, Chrome, OpenDNS, Gmail since they have good malware filtering, don't blindly open email attachments from strangers, don't install software from questionable sources, only allow outbound firewall access to trusted DNS servers, if feasible use IPS with updated signature subscription from Emerging Threats, etc.

Recently I've used Avast, MSE, and a corporate liscense for McAfee:

For my non-tech friends, I use MSE on all their machines. I find it to make the most sense for them in all aspects. Mostly, its a set-it-and-forget-it type system that isn't too intrusive. The only trick is to teach them that if they get a pop up that says "Click Here To Pay $$$ To Renew" to never, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER click that. Like, never ever. But, other than that one malware/virus that made the rounds a few years ago, I've been fairly happy with MSE for most everyone, including my father's. And, I hate to be "That Guy", but Microsoft has really stepped up lately, and I like the direction they are going. Less intrusive, less bulk, lighter and just make it work. Hopefully the trend continues, and they don't go back to their old ways.

For mine and my wife? We've used a combination of Avast and Ad-Aware for the better part of the last few years (actually, come to think of it, probably as many years as this thread has existed). I've debated on swapping to NOD32, but I just never get around to it.

I use avria on my old x200 running win7. Don't have one on mbp or android.

MSE/WD. I like to minimize bloat and redundant applications wherever possible, and it works well enough, considering I practice safe browsing habits online.

I run Linux Mint, virus is unknown here.

BUT I run several versions of Windows as virtual machines. I have "AVG for Linux" on my host, and use that to virus-check the Windows guests. I mount the Windows network share, then in terminal:

Code:
avgscan --ignerrors ~/.gvfs/c\$\ on\ vm-990fx-xp/*

This will scan Windows XP, etc...

All of our computers have Nod32 or bitdefender. Both work well..

I used to use Norton Security Suite from Comcast. It used too many resources though so I got rid of it.

Mac and most surfing via iPad ... For email I use "common sense 2.0" not expecting someone give me 1000th of dollars for nothing.

Avast at home but it is starting to become a monster and an annoyance almost as bad as the stuff i'm trying to keep off. may check out webroot.

Vipre seems to work and light weight but i'm finding it isn't catching stuff. espeically crypto-locker type stuff. I hear that many have issues with cryptolocker though.

Bitdefender had a MAJOR problem with my simplehelp remote login program. No matter how many times I told it bad bitdefender it still blocked it from clients computers.

im using 360 total security with bitdefender and avira engines also installed as a option along with their own database. Has anyone ran 360 for a considerable amount of time? it can be slightly buggy but nothing major and seems to be incredibly light weight.....would like to know other peoples thoughts on this topic

Back